Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    I think they will be awesome! It will hopefully be a full-blown webOS, and not a crippled printer-version. Not only will you get an awesome HP printer, you will get an "internet station" with it!

My main concern is it will be a crappy, watered-down version, without the fancy processors and GPU's of their phones. If not, though, think of all the cool stuff you could make your printer do. Make it run flash games, make it play Pandora radio, use it to print the news every morning - the options are really limitless.

I was already partial towards the HP TouchSmart printer series, and I imagine they will be 100x more awesome with a big webOS touch panel attached to the front of 'em.

We'll have to see, though, if it ends up being something that "feels like" webOS, rather than actual webOS.
    Probably Not... Dont see my self lounging on the sofa with a printer in my arms, surfing the internet...lol..

Nowadays, printers make money via the costly official ink cartridges, so HP is sure to install webos on printers too
    I can't think of a reason I would need to have webOS on my printer if e-print is backed into my mobile devices...

that said, I buy printers as the need for a new one arises. And I usually by HP printers. So if HP commits to putting webOS on there printers, there's a good chance that the one I buy will have webOS on it. But not because I WANT webOS on my printer.
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkiBluDawg View Post
    Probably Not... Dont see my self lounging on the sofa with a printer in my arms, surfing the internet...lol..
    This.

Actually just yesterday I took delivery of an HP OfficeJet 6500A, an all-in-one that is "web enabled." It's a bit too early for it to have WebOS, but it does have a small touchscreen on it and it does have apps. Most of the pre-loaded apps I deleted, but there are a few neat ones, like ones that allow you to print out puzzles (crossword, sudoku, etc.), and ones that allow you to print out forms. The rest of the apps were for printing out daily news articles (why waste paper on that) or stuff for kids--coloring book pages, cutout characters, etc.

The apps are a cool feature, but I doubt I will ever use it. I can't see how having WebOS on there vs. whatever proprietary OS this thing is running would change that.

Oh, there is an HP iPrint Photo app for your mobile phone that works with this printer. The ironic part: It's available for Windows Mobile, Symbian, iOS and Android... but not WebOS.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I don't think I'll buy a webOS printer anytime soon, since my current printer is working just fine and it will probably continue working for a long time. Plus, a webOS printer will probably be more expensive than normal printers. I do see the usefulness in using touch-to-share to send documents to the printer, but not now.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    When I need a new printer, it will factor in to consideration. But the print quality will be the main factor I consider.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    ...I buy printers as the need for a new one arises... So if HP commits to putting webOS on there printers, there's a good chance that the one I buy will have webOS on it.
    ^This. I usually buy Lexmark printers, but if HP makes a reasonably priced WebOS Laser Printer, I'll definitely consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujila View Post
    My main concern is it will be a crappy, watered-down version, without the fancy processors and GPU's of their phones. If not, though, think of all the cool stuff you could make your printer do. Make it run flash games, make it play Pandora radio, use it to print the news every morning - the options are really limitless.
    I understand your concern, I just don't see HP putting a 1GHz chip in a printer, especially considering the possible impact on price for said printers. On top of that, how much RAM will they put in? Will it be a capacitive touch-screen or resistive touch-screen? How much storage for applications will they have? Will they include a GPS chip for GPS enabled apps??? (I do on occasion print maps).

All of these chips will cost money and just like any other manufacturer, HP will engineer these products to particular price points.

Again, I understand your concern... but I wouldn't be at all surprised if we do see a watered-down version of WebOS on printers. I wouldn't be surprised to see "WebOS Lite", which will add more fuel to the fragmentation argument (if WebOS will find it's way on desktop hardware, imagine the games you can run at 3GHz but not at 1GHz).
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I own a all-in-one smart printer from hp with a 7" tablet call Zeen. Love the fact the its wireless and the tablet it can be use on the go. Just one thing, if you want to get an hp printer running webos we have to wait a little longer. The Zeen running android Os 2.1 no flash no android market, I notice a facing webcam the other day but no apps to enable.
    Quote Originally Posted by enice2 View Post
    I own a all-in-one smart printer from hp with a 7" tablet call Zeen. Love the fact the its wireless and the tablet it can be use on the go. Just one thing, if you want to get an hp printer running webos we have to wait a little longer. The Zeen running android Os 2.1 no flash no android market, I notice a facing webcam the other day but no apps to enable.
    You should have flash now that the Zeen can be upgraded to Android 2.2 Froyo (Engadget)
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm5288 View Post
    You should have flash now that the Zeen can be upgraded to Android 2.2 Froyo (Engadget)
    thas my video!!!
    I would buy a webOS printer esp if it means my phone and tab talks better with it than other phones and tabs.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    If they have one when my current one stops working and it has the features I want at a decent price, I'd consider it.

Being able to preview documents and images from cloud based services would be a nice feature where having webOS come in handy. My printer already has a stripped down version of unix with a webserver, so it wouldn't be that big of a stretch to have it running webOS.
    I completely fail to understand the point.

My computer is on pretty much all day.

Absolutely anything that could be done on a WebOS printer could be done faster and easier from my desktop. I can even play angry birds on my desktop through chrome. The only thing I see this changing in terms of functionality, is that instead of a totally stipped down and easy to use interface like what I have on my current HP touchscreen enabled printer, which is designed solely for managing the printer, you'll have some bizarre hybrid monstrosity that is full of unnecessary bloat that takes 3 times as long to navigate through.

I love WebOS, and I'm dreading the switch to android that I will probably be forced to make when my Pre- dies (sorry, I'm not leaving sprint), but I say keep WebOS where it belongs on mobile devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    It looks like we're coming closer to a reality where the only "new" webOs product we could buy is a printer!

Makes the question in the original thread more prescient. If the only thing with webOs on it was a printer, would you buy it? For the sake of nostalgia?