Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I just got my first WebOS phone, a Verizon Pre+ currently running 1.4.5, and I had some questions regarding the basics of the phone. I haven't really see a definitive guide around so if this has been covered just point me in the right direction.

First, how do I set notification sounds for incoming emails? I have two email accounts, a Gmail and an exchange, and I'd like to have a different ringtone for each one. Is this possible?

Second, can these ringtones be ones I've downloaded or must they be part of the OS?

Thanks for your time!
    you can use any mph as a ringtone.

I'm not on 1.4.5 at the moment, but from memory I think you can specify notifications for each account with mode switcher from preware. That feature is built in to 2.0 so I will have to defer to the 1.4.5 users to confirm.
    Hi, and welcome to webOS!

Yes, you can set a custom ringtone for each email account:
    1. Open the email app
    2. Tap on the "Email" menu in the upper left of the screen
    3. Tap "Preferences and Accounts"
    4. Under "Accounts" you should see a list of all your different email accounts. Tap on the one you want to set.
    5. Tap on "System Sound" and select "Ringtone".
    6. Another line will appear under it with another "Ringtone", but in blue. Tap on that.
    From there you select whatever sound you want to use for that account. Each account can be changed this way.

So I guess the answer to your second question would be yes, you can put whatever mp3 file you want on your phone and use it as a sound or ringtone.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    Hi, and welcome to webOS!

Yes, you can set a custom ringtone for each email account:
    1. Open the email app
    2. Tap on the "Email" menu in the upper left of the screen
    3. Tap "Preferences and Accounts"
    4. Under "Accounts" you should see a list of all your different email accounts. Tap on the one you want to set.
    5. Tap on "System Sound" and select "Ringtone".
    6. Another line will appear under it with another "Ringtone", but in blue. Tap on that.
    From there you select whatever sound you want to use for that account. Each account can be changed this way.

So I guess the answer to your second question would be yes, you can put whatever mp3 file you want on your phone and use it as a sound or ringtone.
    Thank you very much! It never occured to me to tap on the account to get more options .
    You might want to pick a short mph as your notification. I would suggest 10 seconds maximum.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I also just got a WebOS phone (Pre2, probably WebOS 2.0), though I'm waiting for my AT&T SIM card. Can I set this phone (and my Palm Profile) up over wifi, or do I have to wait until I get my SIM card?

I haven't booted it yet, because I'm afraid I'll have to make a 2nd Palm profile when I put my SIM card in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by auTONYmous View Post
    I also just got a WebOS phone (Pre2, probably WebOS 2.0), though I'm waiting for my AT&T SIM card. Can I set this phone (and my Palm Profile) up over wifi, or do I have to wait until I get my SIM card?

I haven't booted it yet, because I'm afraid I'll have to make a 2nd Palm profile when I put my SIM card in it.
    I would wait for your SIM card, you can bypass the Palm Profile/SIM card setup and mess around with the phone but it requires a good bit of steps(WebOS Doctor) from what I hear to set it up again to work with your Sim card and it will erase all the stuff you did before you had your SIM.
    Thanks. I just decided to peruse theGoogle, and I found my answer: I can skip the SIM activation using Developer Mode, then play around with it over WIFI. When my SIM shows up, I'll activate and set up my Palm Profile.