1.    #1  
    There's been a few iterations of the App Catalog now, but the 2.1.0 one is absolutely horrible as far as I'm concerned.

I mean, seriously? If you go into the "What's New" section you can't even see a single day's worth of updates.

Really it's just bad, and I hope it's revised further in the next update.
  2.    #2  
    One, I only made one (and a half- one was an API demo) homebrew app when I was unemployed, and that was very simple Javascript stuff. Something like an App Catalog replacement is beyond my knowledge.

Two, even if I was a talented developer, don't you think that's a little ridiculous of a solution? Having to develop your own App Catalog app because Palm's built-in one no longer shows a full day's worth of apps?

And three, there are plenty of replacement App Catalog apps already, sure. But I'd bet it's maybe 90% of users (if not more) using the official Palm one, who are only seeing a small portion of the released apps even in a single day within "What's New". One of the key phrases for developers way back at the beginning of webOS development was exposure, but when things like this come up, new apps aren't getting the exposure they should.

And I don't think I'm exactly asking the impossible here, the old App Catalog application let us scroll back as far as we wanted to (even to the beginning). Maybe that's a little overkill, but it should show at least the past week's worth (and maybe even more importantly have an option to load more if the user wants).
    You can narrow it down by category for new apps. You can see what's new in games without having to see all those app book shop apps. I'd say that's better than scrolling through hundreds of apps you might not be interested in.
    I prefer the new app catalog. I find it much easier to get to apps I would actually download.

I don't understand the complaint. Not only can I browse the newest apps, but I can browse the newest apps by category.
    The only thing I miss from the old catalog is the ability to see the number of apps available.
    at first I didn't like it.

after a couple days it grew on me (like anything else.. You need to adapt to change) and I see the benefit much better over the older version
  7.    #7  
    There are definitely some nicer things about it, but as I've said repeatedly, there's a huge flaw. There's no way within the App Catalog to see all of the apps that even just came out today anymore.

I mean, seriously, 114 apps were new or updated today (which I can only see looking through Preware), and I can see 50 of those in the App Catalog without drilling down into categories. In other words, using the App Catalog, there's more new/updated apps that came out today that I have no way of knowing about than the ones that are displayed to me.

I don't mean to be a jerk about it, but honestly, I don't see how I'm the only person seeing an issue with this. Most apps are impulse buys. If you want to have apps exposed to users, you can't expect them to drill down into each category to see what's new, you're lucky if they even check the what's new page in the first place. Honestly, if I was a developer trying to make any money in the Catalog, I'd be furious about it.
    its called Preware right?

I bet 90% use Preware
    If you're lucky if they even see the new apps page, then what's the problem? They are still just as likely to randomly poke around.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Agree with Jhoff80, I like looking at older apps or just scroll thru as far as I want. Even if you browse by category , whats new, date or price, it will only return a limited number of apps and flat out stop. From that point on, i would have to know the name of an app and enter thru search to find it. Forget casual browsing, or random exposure of an app to some person whos a casual smartphone user and who very very likely has no idea of what preware is (btw, preware now wont be able anymore to access the catalog). It does suck! Its a ridiculously limited catalog now. Maybe they wanna hide that we dont have large numbers like the other platforms, this only helps the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by louboy23 View Post
    Agree with Jhoff80, I like looking at older apps or just scroll thru as far as I want. Even if you browse by category , whats new, date or price, it will only return a limited number of apps and flat out stop. From that point on, i would have to know the name of an app and enter thru search to find it. Forget casual browsing, or random exposure of an app to some person whos a casual smartphone user and who very very likely has no idea of what preware is (btw, preware now wont be able anymore to access the catalog). It does suck! Its a ridiculously limited catalog now. Maybe they wanna hide that we dont have large numbers like the other platforms, this only helps the case.
    i agree with this.. i like to "browse" and grab an app that May catch my interest, that i would have otherwise not have seen
    Quote Originally Posted by Flak1969 View Post
    its called Preware right?

I bet 90% use Preware
    Not even close, 50% if your lucky.
    Most people just use phones the way they buy them. I wish it did but preware doesnt sell phones to the masses.
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    The only thing I miss from the old catalog is the ability to see the number of apps available.
    Agree