1.    #1  
    This has probably been covered before, but should I create a new profile for updating to 2.1?

its a pre minus (o2 uk)

also will i lose everything on the phone if i do upgrade, like sms messages, contacts and photos etc.
    You should follow all directions to the letter here:

http://en.m.webos-internals.org/wiki/WebOS_2_Upgrade

You USB partition (where photos are stored) will be wiped, so you should back up. I don't know if contact photos will be backed up, but contacts can be backed up to Google if you have a Google account.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I upgraded my O2 UK pre minus and its USB patition was not wiped. My photos and music were left alone at any rate.

I did lose all my SMS message history though (as expected).

I did not create a new profile, but on the other hand, I was happy to let the backup application just wipe all the information in it (as per the upgrade instructions). I only have a few notes and tasks so I just typed them back in again afterwards.

All my contacts and my calendar events are on google and Facebook so I got those back automatically. I bought Music (remix) so the App Catalog definitely still works. The phone was pretty responsive straightaway (linking contacts was quite sluggush, I suppose) but I installed preware and then the UberKernel just because I can really. It was a good move on 1.4.5 so I figured it makes sense.

I hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by elvispre View Post
    I upgraded my O2 UK pre minus and its USB patition was not wiped. My photos and music were left alone at any rate.

I did lose all my SMS message history though (as expected).

I did not create a new profile, but on the other hand, I was happy to let the backup application just wipe all the information in it (as per the upgrade instructions). I only have a few notes and tasks so I just typed them back in again afterwards.

All my contacts and my calendar events are on google and Facebook so I got those back automatically. I bought Music (remix) so the App Catalog definitely still works. The phone was pretty responsive straightaway (linking contacts was quite sluggush, I suppose) but I installed preware and then the UberKernel just because I can really. It was a good move on 1.4.5 so I figured it makes sense.

I hope that helps.
    Yep, I can confirm that. Just upgraded to webos 2.1.0 on my O2UK pre minus and my USB partition was left intact. But definitely follow the wiki because it does make sense