Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Every platform has official apps from Twitter, Banking, etc but Webos has none. Why isn't there an offficial twiter app when there is one for every single platform, including Windows Phone 7 which just reached 10,000 applications. I even found an official Newegg, UPS and even a Mint application for Android. Two years on the market and Webos has not produced that many decent software. Still waiting for document editing...
    I hear ya. What gives? Hope hp is working with twitter and others to remedy this.
    <<thread moved>>
    This is the reason why. It isn't worth it to the companies to make software for such a small platform that is only continuously losing marketshare. It sucks and I really hope the TouchPad/Veer/Pre3 turns things around for us.

Because companies don't want to waste time making them, sorry you can't get your crappy free official app or you're stuck using a mobile website. Sincerely, since I'm stuck in the same boat, except I tend to prefer 3rd party apps to "official" ones. They tend to be better. The only official apps I want are things others can't make (read: NETFLIX).
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    I hear ya. What gives? Hope hp is working with twitter and others to remedy this.
    We have plenty of excellent Twitter clients - even free ones. We do not need an official Twitter app.

Thinking like this is why Twitter's putting the lid on 3rd party apps at all. For now, it's just no more new clients - then it'll be no more 3rd party apps ever, and you'll be stuck wanting a non-official one because the official one is crap and/or a pathetic port of the iPhone version.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Go into the beta feeds in Preware and download a Twitter app called "phnx". It will change your life.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    Every platform has official apps from Twitter, Banking, etc but Webos has none.
    I know that there is an official Wells Fargo app. At least someone has made an app for webOS.
    I think the Wells Fargo app is more like their mobile site just packaged as an app using a web view widget.

Maybe if we could get more apps by packaging the mobile site as a web view widget, more people would be happy...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    Every platform has official apps from Twitter, Banking, etc but Webos has none. Why isn't there an offficial twiter app when there is one for every single platform, including Windows Phone 7 which just reached 10,000 applications. I even found an official Newegg, UPS and even a Mint application for Android. Two years on the market and Webos has not produced that many decent software. Still waiting for document editing...
    This seems like more of a rant than something to discuss. I think you are trying to ask where are all the big name apps maybe? There are a lot of those missing, and here's to hoping HP is putting their resources towards making this problem go away.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    i would love a espn gamecenter app, cause sport live does not support all sport i would like. The free iphone espn ga,ecemter is way better than my 8 euro sport live app. But because of the lack of competition i had to buy it.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Anyone following the news coming out of Twitter that they don't want anything but official clients? There is a good chance that in the near future, either you are using the official client or if there is no client... well you are out of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by tigrao View Post
    I know that there is an official Wells Fargo app. At least someone has made an app for webOS.
    Bank of America has one as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    We have plenty of excellent Twitter clients - even free ones. We do not need an official Twitter app.

Thinking like this is why Twitter's putting the lid on 3rd party apps at all. For now, it's just no more new clients - then it'll be no more 3rd party apps ever, and you'll be stuck wanting a non-official one because the official one is crap and/or a pathetic port of the iPhone version.
    i want an official twitter app, even though i will probably never use it. i want the app to exist. i want other businesses to start seeing webos as a legitimate OS and not some kind of joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Wells fargo and bank of america are the only 2 online banking apps in the market and that's sad. I would like an official twitter app instead of having to pay fo one. I don't know if it changed but the free twitter apps had limited functions.
    It did change. Check out both Spaz and Phnx apps in Preware. They're very very good.

On discussion of getting official apps ported, maybe it's time for more devs to do what Zhephree did and propose to the companies that we'll do the work, they just need to give their blessing (and rights to the name).

~ Follow me on Twitter ~
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    As a developer here's a little more technical reason: Companies don't want to have to rewrite all of their code over and over again. On other platforms (iOS and Android) developers can write a bunch of C family code and relatively easily reuse it across platform only having write new UI stuff. On webOS until Enyo shows itself that's not possible unless it's basically an SDL or OpenGL based program (primarily games).

- Phil -
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    I thought a while back palm said apple apps we very easy to modify into webos? was that another lie.
    Correct. Games like Angry Birds which is written using OpenGL for it's graphics are relatively easy to port. Regular apps with buttons, fields, etc are not unless they start as web apps. iPhone has it's own set of elements for buttons and fields that don't directly translate to webOS. Apparently Enyo will change that by providing a way to use html elements on top of native code. Or so that's what I understand (not being in the early access program I don't know the full details nor would I be allowed to say anything about them).

- Phil -
    You could use hybrid apps with Mojo right now, so in that sense you would be using HTML elements with native code, no Enyo needed.