Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Ultimate os, hardware though faulty is a genius design, it might end up like the fabled sega dreamcast, if some of you don't know what a dreamcast is...well, it was a gaming console way ahead of it's time with internet gaming capabilities in 1999, processing/graphics power, games, and so on. It did well but didn't sky rocket and ultimately got killed off by it's competitor playstation though it was inferior (ie: iPhone) I don't want that to happen to webOS. Even though hp just aquired palm, If pre3, etc don't catch on. Hp will drop it like a bad habit.
    Good analogy.

HP got completely pwned by Apple when the iPad2 was announced (and available tomorrow!).

Prediction: If the TouchPad does not beat the price point, it will lose and be gone in 12 months. Anyone from HP listening? (Probably not) Here it is. The price you need to make it to stay in the game. Ready???? $399.

The mistake all the other also-rans are making is simple. They are setting the price according to the supposed cost of the hardware. Fail. Set the price to what people are willing to pay for a device that will be obsolete in 2 years. Take a loss and build up a population of users. That's what Microsoft did with the XBox. HP has the deep pockets. Let the consumer be the 'winner' (Trademark Charlie Sheen).
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
    That's a good analogy. I remember my Dreamcast from back in the day, it was awesome. Eventually I ended up getting a Playstation, but in my opinion the Dreamcasr was always better; unfortunately the masses went with Playstation & Sega was forced to retire from making consoles.

I hope this analogy doesn't pan out to be true for webOS phones.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Yea man, I still got my dreamcast and play it every now and then. If webos were to fail and go down I'd probably end up using the pre3 for years to come haha
    Man, I loved the Dreamcast. Phantasy Star Online was ridiculously ahead of its time.

Sega's finally porting some of their classic Dreamcast titles to other consoles. Hopefully HP will do the same thing and we'll see some of webOS' features on other platforms if the thing goes bust.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    uhm.. the dreamcast evolved into the xbox 360.. no? the controller design is the same.. same buttons (abyx).. triggers.. only thing 360 is missing is the vmu.. microsoft worked very heavily with sega on the dreamcast and it was way before its time.. i was proud to see it re-emerge as the xbox 360 to become the best gaming console alive.. hopefully this is what happens with palm (the sega in this situation) who has been given a new lease on life by hp (the microsoft)
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Up down right left chu chu chu!
    "Visits? Well that would indicate visitors."
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."
    See also: Betamax.

webOS was two or three years ahead of its time when it came out; only now are other companies starting to rip off its UI and make use of web standards like it does, and nobody knows when Chrome OS, its only real competitor in that arena, will actually become a product.

Be too far ahead of your time and nobody will care because they don't understand. Heck, Palm itself a good example for that: they invented the smart device 20 years ago, when people didn't understand its merits AT ALL. People only started to understand the potential of a handheld device that does whatever you want it to do a few years ago, when Palm was already going bankrupt because the market couldn't care less before.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 03/10/2011 at 01:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Man, I loved the Dreamcast. Phantasy Star Online was ridiculously ahead of its time.

Sega's finally porting some of their classic Dreamcast titles to other consoles. Hopefully HP will do the same thing and we'll see some of webOS' features on other platforms if the thing goes bust.
    +1 googleplex

I was crack addicted to that game! I'm still not sure how I was able to work 8-10 hour shifts on 1-2 hours of sleep from playing that game all night! I had the keyboard and everything! They should have licensed that game for PC so it could have lived on (in obscurity or otherwise)

While Palm has shown some similarities to Sega, now that HP is at the helm, it's unlikely history will repeat itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    uhm.. the dreamcast evolved into the xbox 360.. no? the controller design is the same.. same buttons (abyx).. triggers.. only thing 360 is missing is the vmu.. microsoft worked very heavily with sega on the dreamcast and it was way before its time.. i was proud to see it re-emerge as the xbox 360 to become the best gaming console alive.. hopefully this is what happens with palm (the sega in this situation) who has been given a new lease on life by hp (the microsoft)
    Incorrect, actually. The Dreamcast had a VERY short life span (about a year or year and a half, I think). It was because Sony announced the PS2 and because the original PS was so popular, people were skeptical about Sega since they hadn't had a successful console since the sega genesis. There were not extreme sales of the Dreamcast because people were waiting to see what Sony was going to release. They were waiting for an inferior product. As happened with the original Palm Pre and iPhone 3GS.

edit: I believe if the Dreamcast hadn't failed so quickly in the market, Microsoft wouldn't have gotten into the console game as fast because they would still be working with Sega on their new consoles
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Dreamcast eh? I owned a 3DO. Fantastic gaming system that no one seemed to care much about. Then along came Sony and well we know where that went. HP may be a big company, but so was Panasonic and Goldstar (which later became LG) who *both* sold the 3DO. Once something has the cool factor (iPhone, Playstation, etc) it's hard to compete with.
    Sega went from hardware -> software much like palm is doing since it's bought by HP.
    Atari Jaguar FTW!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinfusor View Post
    Up down right left chu chu chu!
    The topic is spiraling way off topic but the nostalgia is great.

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    When I saw this thread I immediately thought of the NeXT computer

NeXT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of my co-workers had one as his personal computer in 89-90, and brought it in for us to look at. It was VERY advanced at the time. It was like looking into the future. His had the optical hard drive (instead of a traditional drive) and it had ongoing problems, so much so that NeXT replaced it eventually with a standard drive. After the replacement Steve Jobs called him personally to apologize for the problems.

That Wikipedia entry looks a lot like what could happen with WebOS and the Pre/Pixi eventually if HP isn't able to turn things around.
    Our office in 1990 had NeXT computers too; I didn't. I had my first Mac desktop, but the office guy who bought this stuff had a thing for Apple and for SJ. I thought that was the wildest thing - for one thing, it was BLACK. Who'd ever heard of a black PC??
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    Incorrect, actually. The Dreamcast had a VERY short life span (about a year or year and a half, I think). It was because Sony announced the PS2 and because the original PS was so popular, people were skeptical about Sega since they hadn't had a successful console since the sega genesis. There were not extreme sales of the Dreamcast because people were waiting to see what Sony was going to release. They were waiting for an inferior product. As happened with the original Palm Pre and iPhone 3GS.

edit: I believe if the Dreamcast hadn't failed so quickly in the market, Microsoft wouldn't have gotten into the console game as fast because they would still be working with Sega on their new consoles
    everything you said about the playstation and life of the dreamcast, i already know.. i owned a dreamcast.. i think sega allowed microsoft to take the dreamcast concept.. perhaps the dreamcast was microsofts to begin with, just having sega's name on it.. i mean really.. look at it.. same button configuration... same style of controller.. dreamcast was white.. first 360 was white.. the sonic games from sega resurfaced on xbox first... in the end that's just my theory/hypothesis/opinion... and i know.. waaaaaaay off topic.. sorry.. pre will be the 360 of smartphones.. people like xbox live because of how the content is brought together in a visually pleasing way.. heck it looks similar to webOS.. and in hp webOS world this is exactly what hp plans to do.. bring content and services together in the beautiful interface that is webOS and synergy..
    Another way to see it, Palm's like the Lancia of phones.

Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Back on topic though...aren't all these "comparisons" a bit premature until at least AFTER Summer???
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    There were not extreme sales of the Dreamcast because people were waiting to see what Sony was going to release. They were waiting for an inferior product.
    It's also key to note that Sega master system was respected but didn't sell like it's competitor nintendo's system. But the Dreamcast came right after the pretty extreme failure of the Sega Saturn and there was not a lot of faith by consumers. I don't think they would take the chance with them, especially when the PS2 i think was on the way and following a very successful playstation product. Now how Sony squandered that by not getting the PS3 out fast enough is another discussion altogether.

but i think there are some parallels in that Sega had to fight a stigma of a prior product. HP may have to fight a stigma that the Pre has.

Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    i think sega allowed microsoft to take the dreamcast concept.. perhaps the dreamcast was microsofts to begin with, just having sega's name on it..
    i believe the xbox was actually launched while while the Dreamcast was still on the market. The end of it but considering how long these things take to develop i'd guess the xbox was in the works for quite some time.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 03/11/2011 at 09:32 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast