Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Only respond if you have an original Pre. If you have a Plus, this thread isn't for you. I'm debating going from 1.4.5 to 2.1 but I'm having my doubts on whether or not it's worth the time and effort. Thanks for the insight
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Sledge,
    A whole thread below devoted to your issue was started a few days ago below:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...2-1-minus.html

I, myself, did not even attempt it on a sprint minus, knowing the decreased memory.
  3.    #3  
    That's kind of what I figured. I missed that thread in the millions and zillions of threads, so thanks. No biggie for me, 1.4.5 is GE for now.
    Yes, it worth the upgrade from 1.4.5 to 2.1.0 (Voice Dialing, e-mail sync with Exchange better, smoother)
    ----------------------------------
    Alain (abellemare44)
    HP Pre3 2.2.4 (ATT 4G 16 Gigs) with BELL in Canada

HP TouchPad 16 Gigs Wifi
    With UberKernel 3.0.4 1,8 Ghz
    Cyanogenmod 7 Alpha 3,5 Android 2.3.7

PS: sorry for the bad english, it's not my native language
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I like it. With overclock it's not bad. Trust me, it is not as fast or smooth and battery life seems to be an issue.

However, I like it so I will live with it until the Pre3. If I get to where I hate it, I'll just create a new temporary palm profile and go back to 1.4.5.
    Dan
    I've been happy with it to overall, especially once uberkernel got ported over (it totally sucked before i could overclock).
    Yes.

As long as you're willing to overclock it is defiantly worth it. The lack of memory has very little impact between 1.4.5 and 2.1, and stock it's even a little better about TMC errors.

If you won't overclock then 1.4.5 seems to perform a little more steady than 2.1.
    I think it's worth it, even with the dismal battery life I'm getting. The performance stock seems to be faster then 1.4.5 overclocked to 1ghz. And then just get more surprised when you do actually overclock 2.1.0 to 1ghz as well. The whole experience is much better, even though I am having to charge my phone towards the end of my work day which I never had to do on 1.4.5.
    I'll state what I said in the other thread: While I did it on mine, I didn't on my wife's Pre-.

If there is something you really want or need in 2.1.0 and are willing to fully read and follow to the letter the instructions, then you should move over to 2.1.0. As many others have mentioned, you will want to overclock now there is is a stable Uberkernel. (After all this, be sure to donate!)

Otherwise, if you're in doubt, you probably should stay with 1.4.5. Especially, if it's your only phone and you can't be without it or if you rely on some of the patches or programs that only work with 1.4.5.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    The difference isn't dramatic, but I currently have no intention of going back to 1.4.5 if that's any measure of it being worth it to me.

I like exhibition mode though.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Although speedwise, it is not the fastest thing in the world, it is definitely worth all the nifty little apps and features that webOS 2 brings along. The only downside, ironically, is that there aren't as many patches (or they have yet to be updated for 2.0) so its a slightly different feel.
  12.    #12  
    I'm in no way, shape, or form, "scared, nervous, anything to that effect" to switch over to 2.1, overclock, patch or anything of the sort. My current phone (and phones for that matter) have been heavily overclocked/patched etc. I'm more "worried" about wasting my time (as it looks like there's a fair amount to read up on, something I don't mind doing, if it's worth it )and that was why I wanted to know if it was worth it or not, so again, thanks for the feedback and insight,

I have seen quite a few opposite responses to the question, which I'm a little baffled by, but I suppose it's just like how some phones can handle 1.2 GHz overclocks and some can't.

One of the bigger issues for me is battery life, (I'm good for about 7 hours of work use) and I'm usually working for 10 (work truck power point just shorted out 2 days ago, so no charging in the truck at the moment). In this thread several negative thoughts on the switch and on the thread that's linked in post 2 of this thread, several positive. Might just be time for me to order up a new battery, especially if they're only $3 or whatever.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I upgraded my UK O2 Pre- and also installed the UberKernel and I have to say I'm delighted.

My wife has just (today) taken delivery of a Pre2, running (still!) 2.0.1 and I can only see the very tiniest of differences between the two - my Pre- is silky smooth and a pleasure to use. Not many bugs yet (though, as with many, I'm finding that QuickOffice won't open much)... but so far so good.
    its funny because I def have much better battery life on 2.1 for me it was totally worth it. Feels like a new phone. Fresh visuals new features. Will hold me over for sure. It was even said 2.1 handles background processes better so it gets better battery per Rod. The scripts are so easy. No reason not to.
    I upgraded my O2 UK pre- yesterday. It is a nice software upgrade. There are a few quirks (nothing major), but there were quirks with all the previous WebOS releases too.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I have a two questions:
    Does mobile hotspot works on 2.1?
    Where i can find tutorial how to install 2.1 on Palm Pre ?
  17.    #17  
    Well here goes nothing The Doctor is in! So long 1.4.5......hello 2.1
    yes I have upgraded a sprint pre minus, and a sprint pre plus (vz) version to 2.1 and must say it is leaps and bounds better then 1.45. Im not sure about the negatives on most threads, but the phones not only move alot smoother (animiation is more iphone like) the features like stacks, and flash are a very very welcome edition. As well as exhibition mode very usefull. The battery life on both devices are a tad better then on 1.45 so no its not worse at all. As well as the direction to do it once you start is very easy, and most of the reading is merly warnings, or explanations on certain things if your not familar with it. Again I recommend highly to update to 2.1 most patchs are already ported over. SR71 is ported over, they show you how to put sprint nav, and amazon back on the phone very easy. Mobile hotspot as well. It added more then just life to the device for me, it is making me wait for a new Webos device as opposed to even trying another platform on sprint htc arrive(WP7).
    Last edited by wellwellwell11; 03/13/2011 at 04:45 PM.
    Two VERY annoying things that I would say hold off on the upgrade if you rely on these:
    Text assist is horrible. It takes things that it doesn't believe are words and 'corrects' them into things that it believes are. It's just not nearly as smart as HP thinks it is and it has far too much power.
    Messaging app. If you chat a lot with your phone, exercise caution. When you press enter to send a new line the whole phone freezes up for a few seconds. Not a big deal if you just send the occasional text but if you're used to having long IM conversations on your phone this is really really annoying.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Two VERY annoying things that I would say hold off on the upgrade if you rely on these:
    Text assist is horrible. It takes things that it doesn't believe are words and 'corrects' them into things that it believes are. It's just not nearly as smart as HP thinks it is and it has far too much power.
    Messaging app. If you chat a lot with your phone, exercise caution. When you press enter to send a new line the whole phone freezes up for a few seconds. Not a big deal if you just send the occasional text but if you're used to having long IM conversations on your phone this is really really annoying.
    Text assist can be turned off. Personally, I haven't had too many issues with it and I find it to be very useful overall.

While I haven't experienced the exact same problem with Messaging as you, I have had some issues. It seems that sometimes when I switch to that card, it won't let me type until I put it into card view and back again. I never had that issue on 1.4.5.

I've doctored to 2.1 twice. The first time my phone was almost unusable. There would be frequent lags that brought the whole phone to a halt. This happened even while overclocked. A couple days ago, I doctored again using the latest metadoctor and my phone is about 100% better. I'm not even running an overclocked kernel and the phone feel very snappy and smooth. YMMV I guess...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast