Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    its way worth it, follow the simplified thread, watch the video and viola. Super easy and worth. Everything is just so much crispier. I'm sure ull enjoy it than any patch or OC 'u've done.
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Two VERY annoying things that I would say hold off on the upgrade if you rely on these:
    Text assist is horrible. It takes things that it doesn't believe are words and 'corrects' them into things that it believes are. It's just not nearly as smart as HP thinks it is and it has far too much power.
    Messaging app. If you chat a lot with your phone, exercise caution. When you press enter to send a new line the whole phone freezes up for a few seconds. Not a big deal if you just send the occasional text but if you're used to having long IM conversations on your phone this is really really annoying.
    no the text assist is very good if you have a word like def it will underline it if you want that word in the dictonary click on it, the list of words comes up above it and click the plus icon at the end of the strip and it will add it. Its very helpfull, and just as good not better but good as the iphones. The messaging app I havent had that issue on a pre minus and plus and I run a few stacked apps open at a time atleast 6.
    So sprint nav and mobile hotspot are working on 2.1?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    So sprint nav and mobile hotspot are working on 2.1?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I think there are "unofficial" ways to get sprint nav, and freeTether from Preware works flawlessly in webOS 2.1.

Good luck!
    Bell Pre- running 2.1 @ 800MHz
    Samsung Galaxy Tab (stock)
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Ok, so sprint nav is go, tethering is go, what about Sprint TV and more importantly, is it finally safe to migrate our profiles over or do we have to set up new ones?
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    After not receiving answers to questions I posted on other threads, I decided to perform this upgrade myself last night on my Bell Palm Pre-. I started from scratch and built a new doctor from the wiki WI page ( I had built one last week but understand that the scripts had been updated since then). I used ubuntu 10.10 within VM under vista and the doctor was produced flawlessly. I had some trouble with the doctor in linux ( missing novacomm drivers) and decided to run it under Vista. This worked and was able to run 2.1 under a new profile I setup.
    The most pressing question for me was whether or not I would be able to use mobile hotspot under 2.1. Using Floren's excellent thread, I was able to get this working in under 5 mins -
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...spot-bell.html

I had swore to myself that if my pre survived this initial test, I would not make any other changes for at least a week so that I could test it "stock?" at 2.1 and make some judgements. That lasted all of five minutes when I couldn't stand the thought of not having my remaining battery life expressed as a percentage for a whole week..... Well that led to the instalation of preware......and then Uberkernal and Govnah ...... and then well I figured that I might as well open up the official app catalogue and download the Bell self serve app to monitor my tethering usage.
    At any rate, after a day of use I can report that the interface is very snappy, battery life seems to be about the same as OC'd 1.45, I was able to actually open and close and USE the camera many times today without the phone crashing (abnormal for my phone and a pleasant surprise at my daughter's birthday party). Phone app works as before, texting works and I am looking forward to testing out tethering more extensively later this week with my android tablet!
    First impressions are indeed very good. I am still unsure what effect the inability to update PRL info will have and if I understand correctly, us Bell users are not able to use apps made for 2.0 or greater yet. I suppose that this last bit negates the reason to upgrade for many. For me, I would be happy if this upgrade allows my pre to do the things it did before- tethering, web browsing, texting, and simple phone use, with modestly increased speed an most importantly STABILITY.
    Last edited by crutzulee; 03/13/2011 at 07:15 PM.
  7.    #27  
    Thanks everyone for your input in this thread. The damage is done and there's no turning back from 2.1 now Haven't gotten around to putting Flash on my phone yet, that may be tonight's gig, as it took well over 6-7 hours of reading and messing around just to get 2.1 on my phone yesterday, thanks to a mysterious battery charging(even though full) on the doctor that wouldn't stop. At any rate, it's all done, and I think I'm liking it. I'm not even sure I'll miss those tiny cards like I thought I would, and on that, even the old school launcher (3X3) pages aren't bothering me as much as I thought they would. Mind you, it wasn't until about 9 or 10 last night that my phone finally finished syncing and I haven't really used the phone throughout the course of a work day yet, so I'm putting it to the test today, hopefully that battery lasts
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Text assist is great. you might need to add some slang words in the beginning but overall it does a great job and like someone said you can just disable it if you dont like it. the text thing does not affect me at all. i mean we are talking like a second. i have not had one random luna restart since the switch. so happy i made the switch
    I think so...but I temper my answer knowing how much effort I put into the update process. If you can read Precentral.net Forums and WebOS Internals WIKI and know a little Linux for terminal work, you should be fine.

Been using it for 3 days now and love 2.1. Have everything working on my Pre- except Flash...a little complicated to install and probably not run very well with limited memory of my Pre- unit. All my profiles are now configured (took 3 tries...but finally got it right), contacts, email, and apps all downloaded and reinstalled again (what took the longest having to try 3x).

Either way, the new 2.1 features are great, Just Type, Auto-Correct, System Speed (especially now that I'm accelerating things with F105), Voice Dial (works VERY WELL), and of course the obvious things missing from 1.4.5...access to 2.0 apps. WebOS 2.1 rocks and I'll now can be happy till a Pre 3 arrives on Sprint, Verizon or otherwise. Looking forward to more from HP and the Homebrew community. Thanks! Sorli...

Update: I now have Flash...though my Pre- doesn't support it very well and only thing I can get working is ComingSoon.net and viewing Movie Trailers. Either way, I'd rather have trailer viewing then a Need Flash 10 banner everytime I login to a flash website.

I'm very pleased and love the new features...so yes no turning back! Sorli...
    Last edited by sorli; 03/14/2011 at 08:19 PM.
    well i will say def use cygwin. i spent a ton of time with a virtual machine and ubuntu when it took me 10 minutes to get cygwin up and running and the dr. made. with the new script it really couldnt be much easier.
    and you would be suprised how easy flash is to get running and with f-105 it works quite well. all it involves is copying and pasting a few files in the correct folder structure and then running the ipk maker. put it on your usb drive. install using preware and add the patch from preware to show the preferences.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
    After not receiving answers to questions I posted on other threads, I decided to perform this upgrade myself last night on my Bell Palm Pre-. I started from scratch and built a new doctor from the wiki WI page ( I had built one last week but understand that the scripts had been updated since then). I used ubuntu 10.10 within VM under vista and the doctor was produced flawlessly. I had some trouble with the doctor in linux ( missing novacomm drivers) and decided to run it under Vista. This worked and was able to run 2.1 under a new profile I setup.
    The most pressing question for me was whether or not I would be able to use mobile hotspot under 2.1. Using Floren's excellent thread, I was able to get this working in under 5 mins -
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...spot-bell.html

I had swore to myself that if my pre survived this initial test, I would not make any other changes for at least a week so that I could test it "stock?" at 2.1 and make some judgements. That lasted all of five minutes when I couldn't stand the thought of not having my remaining battery life expressed as a percentage for a whole week..... Well that led to the instalation of preware......and then Uberkernal and Govnah ...... and then well I figured that I might as well open up the official app catalogue and download the Bell self serve app to monitor my tethering usage.
    At any rate, after a day of use I can report that the interface is very snappy, battery life seems to be about the same as OC'd 1.45, I was able to actually open and close and USE the camera many times today without the phone crashing (abnormal for my phone and a pleasant surprise at my daughter's birthday party). Phone app works as before, texting works and I am looking forward to testing out tethering more extensively later this week with my android tablet!
    First impressions are indeed very good. I am still unsure what effect the inability to update PRL info will have and if I understand correctly, us Bell users are not able to use apps made for 2.0 or greater yet. I suppose that this last bit negates the reason to upgrade for many. For me, I would be happy if this upgrade allows my pre to do the things it did before- tethering, web browsing, texting, and simple phone use, with modestly increased speed an most importantly STABILITY.
    The Bell Pre is unable to download apps that are exclusively for 2.x. So The Sports live apps and one or two others that also work on 1.4.5 will have the 2.x features. I'm not sure how big of deal the PRL updates are unless you do a lot of roaming in the states.

Also freeTether is working perfectly for my usage.

I love webOS 2.1 on my Pre. I will regret saying this but if my phone stayed in this state until my upgrade (end of this year), I will be happy.
    Bell Pre- running 2.1 @ 800MHz
    Samsung Galaxy Tab (stock)
  12. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    Text assist is great. you might need to add some slang words in the beginning but overall it does a great job and like someone said you can just disable it if you dont like it. the text thing does not affect me at all. i mean we are talking like a second. i have not had one random luna restart since the switch. so happy i made the switch

LOL I have more typing errors now than I did before. It keeps correcting my with the wrong words. I gotta get some time set aside to get my vocabulary in there.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    So did you guys all set up new profiles?
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    My first go at upgrading was not so hot, but I doctored back to 1.4.5 and did it again with the new scripts and the new kernel now, and I think it's just as fast as it was on 1.4.5, but now with better features. The patches will come back soon, I'm sure.

Worth it.
  15.    #35  
    @RkGuy: Yes I'm still using the same profile, no issues that I've noticed over the last couple of days. I have all my apps, I can buy apps. I would say if you own an Original Pre, the upgrade to 2.1 is worth it. It appears some are having issues, but I think as long as you follow the directions (very important) then you shouldn't have any issues. I wouldn't waste my time with Flash, tbh. It's ok for small video clips, but not for anything large, or flash games for that matter (none I've tried anyway).
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Yeah i tested 2.1 with a newly made profile however after using it just over a week i knew that i couldnt go back and brought my regular profile over. everything pulled over perfectly. only issue was all your "applications" get moved to the application page which is page 1. but after you move everything around your good to go. highly recommend it. i got flash working myself. with f-105 installed it works pretty well. i havent tried any games so i cant speak to that however the flash video on flash.com is pretty intense and runs pretty well. at a bare minimum it was easy enough and at least pages load properly with scrolling banners and what not. makes the pre seem very fresh. makes me actually think i can skip the pre3 if my pre holds together and wait to here what the next wave of product could be.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12