1.    #1  
    So I finally jumped into the webOS world. I am the proud owner of a brand new Pre 2 on Rogers. I'm coming from an iPhone 3G, so the learning curve is a little strange, but so far so good.

One of the first things I did was update the phone to 2.1, which was a really cool experience being able to do that OTA.

At any rate, I was hoping to get some tips and advice from the webOS gurus around here. There is a plethora of information on this site, but I have to admit that I don't know where exactly to start and I'm a little overwhelmed.

So please, if anyone has any advice on articles I should read, which apps are must have, any cool things I can do with my new phone I might not know about, or anything else that they feel like sharing, please, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks everyone!
    install preware (see wiki link) which will give you access to
    homebrew patches and apps
    Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

If you like a more featured music player with playlist ability for eg, you might wish to try out music player remix or Koto both in the app catalogue. I'm looking at them now too.

Tell us more about what are your interests and people will then suggest apps based on what you say.
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    So I finally jumped into the webOS world. I am the proud owner of a brand new Pre 2 on Rogers. I'm coming from an iPhone 3G, so the learning curve is a little strange, but so far so good.

One of the first things I did was update the phone to 2.1, which was a really cool experience being able to do that OTA.

At any rate, I was hoping to get some tips and advice from the webOS gurus around here. There is a plethora of information on this site, but I have to admit that I don't know where exactly to start and I'm a little overwhelmed.

So please, if anyone has any advice on articles I should read, which apps are must have, any cool things I can do with my new phone I might not know about, or anything else that they feel like sharing, please, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks everyone!
    Check out the FAQ in my sig.. To start

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Thanks everyone!
    Something as simple as that.
    Sprint Love
    Koto's the best Music Player for WebOS IMO. There's many features coming. I've been talking with the dev back and forth through some emails, and there's loads of new features coming.

A few apps you might want to check out: Engadget, PreCentral, Facebook, Pandora, TuneIn by RadioTime, Slacker Radio, InterfaceLIFT, Backgrounds

And in the Preware feeds: Carbon Beta, Dr. Battery, JSTop, Lumberjack, Internalz, Luna Manager, and the theme I'm using is Dark Glass 2.0

You can get the Pre 3 official wallpaper and my own green version of the Pre 3 wallpaper

That should keep you busy for a few days.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

6.    #6  
    @Bluenote - Thanks for that. While I have experience jailbreaking iPhones, I never really cared since I never liked the device that much to begin with. I'm going to take it a little slow here, and give that link a thorough read. I don't suppose you know if it's possible to brick my phone this way?

@sketch42 - Exactly what I was looking for in a starter read. Thanks!

@tooearly - It's funny how the little things can just seem so awesome. Nothing overly fancy, but an OTA update, and being able to easily use my device as a hard disk are just plain awesome to me.

@fxspec06 - Thanks for those tips. The app selection is a big change from the iPhone. Obviously the selection is smaller, but it also feels quite different.

My first order of business is to shore up some of the things I am missing.

I don't suppose anyone has any advice for the following:

- An IM app (Live Messenger is really all i need)
    - A good Dropbox app
    - A good reader
    - A few fun time wasting games. I'm not a massive mobile gamer, but I like to have a few games that I can pick up and put down quickly to kill time when necessary.

Thanks!
    Not possible to brick your pre with preware or the patches so go for it and don't worry, the webos internals team have been very thorough and careful in creating these great tools.[exception: stay away from overclocking kernels, as these are provided without any guarantees]

There's an app called dropboxify on the catalogue, people seem to like it although I've never tried it. You might try searching for the precentral thread to read up on peoples' experiences.
    - A few fun time wasting games. I'm not a massive mobile gamer, but I like to have a few games that I can pick up and put down quickly to kill time when necessary.
    Attached is an image of my free games launcher page.

Also, games worth buying: NFSU, Asphalt 5, Guitar Hero 5 Mobile, and Angry Birds

But you could probably get these all for iPhone anyways..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

@Bluenote - Thanks for that. While I have experience jailbreaking iPhones, I never really cared since I never liked the device that much to begin with. I'm going to take it a little slow here, and give that link a thorough read. I don't suppose you know if it's possible to brick my phone this way?

@sketch42 - Exactly what I was looking for in a starter read. Thanks!

@tooearly - It's funny how the little things can just seem so awesome. Nothing overly fancy, but an OTA update, and being able to easily use my device as a hard disk are just plain awesome to me.

@fxspec06 - Thanks for those tips. The app selection is a big change from the iPhone. Obviously the selection is smaller, but it also feels quite different.

My first order of business is to shore up some of the things I am missing.

I don't suppose anyone has any advice for the following:

- An IM app (Live Messenger is really all i need)
    - A good Dropbox app
    - A good reader

Thanks!
    So, Im glad you bought a webos device...it really is quite a simple yet powerful / effecient mobileOS, I wish more people knew about!

Anyways...
    For apps:
    I dont know if 2.1 added the ability to add your live messenger account to webos or not but it may have. Check under your messaging application and try to add an account, see if MSN or live is in the options.
    If not I know there is a payed app like IM+ or something available. Search IM in the catalog, one should come up.

Dropbox, there is a paid app called dropboxify I believe. I think this works as a client for webos. Also, if webos 2.1 still has quickoffice, you can hook your dropbox account up to it. I actually installed quickoffice on my WebOS 1.4.5 device. Works well =)

For a reader app, do you mean like adobe reader? PDF? I think its in quick office as well , I dont know if PDF reader is on 2.1 anymore..

For games, first and foremost: angrybirds and rednecks vs aliens .. LOL!

Oh and dude....try and get comfortable with just type, its possibly the most powerful mobile OS feature ever made. I love it, or at least the hacked up implementation I have of it on my webos 1.4.5 device! LOL
    It takes getting used to just be able start typing whatever and it searches nearly everything / everywhere for you.
    I still have the mindset of "must open this app , tap this, do this and bam" sometimes...takes getting used to the mindset of "just typing" =)
    For newbies and sometimes even veterans the Tips section at precentral is invaluable.

Tips and Tricks for webOS | PreCentral.net

Dr Podder is the best podcast application that I have used and I have owned windows mobile, webOS, Symbian, maemo, Android and iOS devices (with podcasting apps on nearly all of them).

After looking for several weeks and trying multiple apps I have settled on Stitcher (which I was also using on my iphone and iPad) which is great, just not as good as Dr. Podder IMHO.

OTA updates and the ability to just use the phone as a usb disk is awesome. Another thing that I love about hte Pre is the fact that any file saved to it no matter which folder) automatically shows up in the relevant application i.e. mp3 files show up when you open the music app (music player remix is great btw so is Nan player (beta feeds))

Other great apps, include wifi media sync which allows you to sync media without any wires; STC, share the cost app which is better than some full featured app on desktops and very easy to use.

Grooveshark works great and as long as you have a 3G connection you don't need to have any mp3 stored on your phone (your media collection is stored in the cloud) in addition to this finding new music a la pandora is also possible.

Appbox ($0.99) is another great app to do a bunch of things.

Reader: I am assuming you mean something like an ebook reader and Kobo is pretty good.

Games:

Glow hockey is one that comes to mind that is a pick up and play type of game that I like. I also like most puzzle games including Jump O'clock, puzzle kitchen, prejeweled, match 'em, Everlands and Mazer.
    Last edited by sapient2k7; 03/09/2011 at 04:31 PM.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    For apps, check out Best of Precentral 2010. PreCentral.net Best of 2010 Awards Winners | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community Some of the newer apps aren't on there though.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for all the great advice everyone! I have installed Preware and have played around with some of the homebrew apps and installed a few patches (battery as a percentage and a virtual keyboard are just too sweet).

Up next I am going to try some themes. It should be interesting.