Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    WebOS will be on 'every HP PC' shipping next year, says CEO -- Engadget

Quote Originally Posted by Engadget
    You'd think Leo Apotheker, HP's newest CEO, would want to save a bit of thunder for his March 14th event. Instead, the man continues to unleash stentorian quotes with unabashed candor like today's claim that "HP has lost its soul." He's also making bold proclamations about every HP PC being able to run WebOS and MIcrosoft Windows as an integrated experience in 2012 -- a move the company hopes will create a "massive platform" to attract those all important developers. Apotheker's strategy will reverse Mark Hurd's cost-cutting emphasis with a renewed focus on product quality and innovation -- the latter achieved by breaking down inter-company barriers that currently separate product groups and by boosting the R&D budget already pegged at $2.96 billion last year (a pittance by some measurements). Click the source link below to read the Businessweek article in full if you're interested in Leo's issue with being the smartest person in the room and his attempts at Californication. Cool? Awesome.

WTG HP!

One thing that saddens me however is that on Engadget, a lot of the commenters shun HP every chance they get. It's upsetting, because as a user of WebOS, I feel that they just don't understand how awesome it is, because they've never used it extensively. I'm not trying to sound like a fan boy although that may be exactly what I sound like. Is HP really making bad decisions here? I don't think so at all. One user said HP is just wasting their money on 'bad advertising'. How can someone say that? It's got to be just someone flaming, or trolling, because they clearly don't understand or see the direction this is going..

I'm honestly fully expecting WebOS to take off as much as Android has.. I expect the marketshare to increase by 10% by 2011. Am I the one who's delirious?
    Last edited by fxspec06; 03/09/2011 at 07:18 AM.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

I'd say double. This CEO makes a bunch of empty promises and this..I would take with a grain of salt.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyczwillz View Post
    I'd say double. This CEO makes a bunch of empty promises and this..I would take with a grain of salt.
    HP has only been in charge of this since last fall. They currently have zero of their own devices on the market. We have yet to see anything from them, in terms of their own products or software, pertaining to WebOS.

And if you're referring to 2.x, well we have it on our legacy devices. They promised and it was delivered.

I fail to see why we shouldn't listen. What has HP failed at so far? Why so negative?
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So webOS is now part of HP's pre-installed bloatware? 98% of HP PC users won't be webOS users and will have no use for it. I remember when AOL came on every PC, also.
    hmm dosent sound like bloatware at all, to me it sounds more like either a dual boot (which works well, my company has been dual booting HP computers and laptops with Windows 7, and ubunto). Or seperate along side windows in notebooks, and laptops.
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    WebOS will be on 'every HP PC' shipping next year, says CEO -- Engadget

WTG HP!

One thing that saddens me however is that on Engadget, a lot of the commenters shun HP every chance they get. It's upsetting, because as a user of WebOS, I feel that they just don't understand how awesome it is, because they've never used it extensively. I'm not trying to sound like a fan boy although that may be exactly what I sound like. Is HP really making bad decisions here? I don't think so at all. One user said HP is just wasting their money on 'bad advertising'. How can someone say that? It's got to be just someone flaming, or trolling, because they clearly don't understand or see the direction this is going..

I'm honestly fully expecting WebOS to take off as much as Android has.. I expect the marketshare to increase by 10% by 2011. Am I the one who's delirious?
    you have to understand just like most companys that are not making any headway currently (look at any WP7 comments, and RIM) at this point anything thats not Android is crap. As most state the same on this forum, regardless if they believe in webos, and what HP is doing or not. This is why this market for OS's is very tough to get into, or in Webos's case reemerge.
    I'm still not sure what the benefit is to announcing this right now. Does anyone know what the benefit is to telling everyone about this? I'd think it would be much better to keep it quiet and then have a big even to unveil it like Apple does. They don't show their hand until the last minute if possible.

All this does it tell competitors what they're working on. I don't think it delays any purchasing decisions by consumers as they don't even know when or if it's going to happen.
    One thing that saddens me however is that on Engadget, a lot of the commenters shun HP every chance they get. It's upsetting, because as a user of WebOS, I feel that they just don't understand how awesome it is, because they've never used it extensively.
    It's because most readers on Engadget and even many here on Precentral don't understand how it will be integrated. Many of them think that webOS will replace Windows on HP's PCs, but that's not the case.
    See here: McKinney: webOS to be integrated with Windows on PCs
    Yeah baby, that's what I'm talking about! How cool is that. all of your devices connected by webOS.
    So first WebOS couldn't get any love and now it's going to be a cheap French w-hore?

I don't know how I feel about this? If it's a dual boot system then most people will use it only as a emergency recover OS. If it's touted as a quickboot low battery consumption OS good for playing music and what not, I still think most people won't use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    So first WebOS couldn't get any love and now it's going to be a cheap French w-hore?

I don't know how I feel about this? If it's a dual boot system then most people will use it only as a emergency recover OS. If it's touted as a quickboot low battery consumption OS good for playing music and what not, I still think most people won't use it.
    ? im confused with your statemnt how isnt webos getting any love? Didnt they just announce 3 new products, plus support for continued new devices and intergration on PC computers. Didnt they state they are working with developers to help push application development for Webos. If they dual boot it on their laptops, and notbooks initally to help get Webos out there worldwide (which is HP's outstretch market they have access to) its def not a bad idea, to get people to become familiar with it. Yes some people wont even use it, but even those people will become familar with Webos in a sense of they know its there. We dual boot HP laptops at my job with Windows 7, and unbunto and we all know its a very simple process just restarting the computer and picking the OS. Alot of people here use Ubunto as their Primary OS when working, and enjoy the option to have both OS's, and the benifits each has over one another. This is another way of sneaking in Webos, with what HP does best ...selling PC's.
    I wonder if they plan on integrating it in such a way where its a dual boot environment. Some motherboards, like asus offer "expressgate" which is a flash based linux environment you can boot into nearly instantly after power on and get access to internet and all common applications. Or you can let it do its full boot cycle into windows.

I wonder if HP plans on using WebOS in this similar type "quickboot" OS environment. If thats the case, hardly anyone will use it.

OTOH if HP plans on releasing 2 entirely different platform based PC's that would be cool, like the mobile netbook market or such could use WebOS while desktops still use windows. Also desktops would have parts of WebOS able to sync with the mobile devices easily....that would be neat.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    I wonder if they plan on integrating it in such a way where its a dual boot environment. Some motherboards, like asus offer "expressgate" which is a flash based linux environment you can boot into nearly instantly after power on and get access to internet and all common applications. Or you can let it do its full boot cycle into windows.

I wonder if HP plans on using WebOS in this similar type "quickboot" OS environment. If thats the case, hardly anyone will use it.

OTOH if HP plans on releasing 2 entirely different platform based PC's that would be cool, like the mobile netbook market or such could use WebOS while desktops still use windows. Also desktops would have parts of WebOS able to sync with the mobile devices easily....that would be neat.

yeah I think the second part you explained is the path they intend on leaning towards. Though to me I would port Webos 3.0 on notebooks along side windows since a notebook is essentially a tablet with a keyboard, and without a touchscreen. Though you could enable the touchscreen portion of it, having a like ipad in a clamcase type device.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    ? im confused with your statemnt how isnt webos getting any love? Didnt they just announce 3 new products, plus support for continued new devices and intergration on PC computers. Didnt they state they are working with developers to help push application development for Webos.
    I said "couldn't" which is the past tense, meaning before HP. Now with HP they want to put WebOS in every PC.

Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    If they dual boot it on their laptops, and notbooks initally to help get Webos out there worldwide (which is HP's outstretch market they have access to) its def not a bad idea, to get people to become familiar with it.
    Few people will ever use dual booting. And WebOS is no Ubuntu, so i doubt people at your work would use WebOS instead of Ubuntu.

The smarter thing would be have WebOS run as a shell program inside of Windows allowing other WebOS devices to communicate with your Windows PC. Maybe this is what they are doing, would be nice for HP to reveal how WebOS will be used in PC's.

Read this article...: McKinney: webOS to be integrated with Windows on PCs

It will not be dualboot or the like!
    It's sad WebOS won't be here today on HP PCs and laptops because I want it. And WebOS would be the perfect OS for the Envy laptops. Sad because I'm looking at buying an Envy. I don't know that I could wait a whole year for HP to put WebOS on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    Read this article...: McKinney: webOS to be integrated with Windows on PCs

It will not be dualboot or the like!
    Thanks for pointing that out.

Now the only problem will be if people see it as some kind of bloatware that interferes and slows down the Windows OS.
    Now the only problem will be if people see it as some kind of bloatware that interferes and slows down the Windows OS.
    To be honest: If I didn't know webOS, I actually would think so.
    I don't like any kind of software modifications preinstalled on a new PC.
    HP has only been in charge of this since last fall. They currently have zero of their own devices on the market. We have yet to see anything from them, in terms of their own products or software, pertaining to WebOS.

And if you're referring to 2.x, well we have it on our legacy devices. They promised and it was delivered.

I fail to see why we shouldn't listen. What has HP failed at so far? Why so negative?
    Where do you see webOS 2.x for OTA update for legacy phones? This was given by the dev community that worked and hacked it legally. That is not delivering your word.

HP also stated (not sure if it was Leo) 5-6 webOS devices to be released in 2011, I find that hard to believe if Veer is Spring, Touchpad and Pre3 in Summer.

I really enjoy webOS but they haven't delivered anything yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyczwillz View Post
    HP also stated (not sure if it was Leo) 5-6 webOS devices to be released in 2011, I find that hard to believe if Veer is Spring, Touchpad and Pre3 in Summer.
    Wasn't that a rumor?
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So webOS is now part of HP's pre-installed bloatware? 98% of HP PC users won't be webOS users and will have no use for it. I remember when AOL came on every PC, also.
    On the other hand, I remember when a software company started including their own browser on every copy of their OS. Seemed to work for them.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast