Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Honestly I've always built my main pcs and lately I've noticed I don't need the serious hp that I always max them out for since I never do any gaming or grafic design so, I've decided I want my next pc to be like a drafting table, and as it so happens hp has one in the pipeline and I'm getting lazy now that I'm getting more successful, so they got my vote.
    Besides, it's sooooo much easier to just touch the screen than to move the mouse to that point on the screen, I loved my hp tablet tx, even if it did give me 2nd degree burns and fry itself twice lol I kid it had the same penny problem easily remided like my xbox.
    Either way I see hps vision, I think and I like

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm prē-ist.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    i don't think many people understand just how powerful webos and the enyo developpment tools are.
    the reason HP made the decision to no longer update legacy devices ties to the fact that future apps can be run literally from anywhere, with out any extra software at all!!!!
    all you need is a browser running webkit (chrome or safari). another huge plus, when u develop for the veer ure app will work on the tablet and vice versa. so you build one app and have a pc, pre, veer, and tablet enviroment~!!! that is huge for connectivity as well as for developers~!!

from what i see hp is just going to install a very light app to load your palm profile. and hopefully even a physical connection for a true back up. what hp is doing with web os has huge implacations and if they get it right they will be at least one generation ahead of apple and google
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    So, are all new HP pc's in 2012 going to come with a touchscreen? Why would I want to run Webos on a pc using a mouse and keyboard? What advantage would I get whatsoever?.
    So the trick to making a WebOS app appealing is a single WebOS Profile shared across multiple machines as well as handling those "cloud" type apps. Heck stop thinking about "WebOS app" just think "app". The WebOS app catalog will probably be marketed as the HP App store or somesuch. Like Flash or Java apps, they will require the WebOS framework.

You buy Angry Birds for WebOS. Now it works on your WebOS phone, WebOS Tablet, and WebOS-enabled PC. Your high scores and save games are shared.

Will it fly off the shelves? No, but if 1-2% of HP PC users actually use the WebOS apps, the WebOS userbase is going to increase significantly.
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    So, are all new HP pc's in 2012 going to come with a touchscreen? Why would I want to run Webos on a pc using a mouse and keyboard? What advantage would I get whatsoever?
    "InstantOn". Instead of using that SplashTop they have now they could use webOS as their InstantOn boot option on all new PCs.
    Hi all,

Here is PC Magazine's take on this subject....personally I think it's great idea!

I also have a question for all of you...Most people's computers are PC's or laptops running the windows platform...As we all know windows is a resource hog and a huge energy hog...I'm I correct is assuming, that when I buy a new laptop that has webOS & some form of Win...if I use webOS to look at photos or to listen to music, wouldn't that use far less power than running these programs thru windows....if I am correct having webOS and Win would be great for a long plane trip....other than a spreadsheet or wp or photo shop type programs, most of what people use a laptop on a long plane ride can be controlled by webOS...wouldn't that make the batteries last much longer, (for the sake of my example, let' s assume that the wifi is turned off. On a flight you aren't making calls as well....

Take care of yourselves,

Jay

Why Putting WebOS on Multiple HP Devices Is Good For You

By Jeff Bertolucci, PCWorld Mar 10, 2011 2:30 PM

Hewlett-Packard CEO Leo Apotheker has made it clear: Starting next year, the company's WebOS mobile operating system will run on pretty much every laptop or desktop that HP ships. And that's good news for HP customers--and end users in general--who increasingly find themselves juggling more and more data across multiple computing devices.

In a Bloomberg interview this week, Apotheker revealed HP's ambitious plans for WebOS, which the company acquired when it bought phone maker Palm for $1.2 billion last year. As expected, HP has moved quickly to utilize WebOS, a well-reviewed mobile operating system that was partnered with so-so hardware during its Palm days. HP last month launched two new WebOS phones, the Pre 3 and Veer, and will soon ship its first WebOS-based TouchPad tablet.

But Apotheker's admission reveals a far more ambitious strategy for WebOS, one that copies a page from Apple's playbook by bringing hardware and software development in-house. HP's upcoming desktops and laptops will still run Microsoft Windows, of course, but the inclusion of WebOS will allow HP to capitalize on a growing trend: The fact that we're buying different gadgets to do different things. The era of the one-size-fits-all computing device is over.

"HP clearly sees a trend we've been talking about for some time now. The idea of multiple devices per person," says IDC computer analyst Tom Mainelli.

"For years the industry talked about hardware convergence but, in reality, devices continue to diverge. People have come to realize that they don't want one single device because while that device might do many things, it likely won't do any of them particularly well," writes Mainelli in an e-mail interview with PCWorld.

Devices That Talk to Each Other Easily?
    HP is laying the groundwork to make all of its devices--desktops, laptops, tablets, and smartphones--talk to each other more easily. For instance, videos stored on your HP desktop could be instantly accessible on your HP tablet. And photos on your HP phone could be viewable on your HP notebook.

"The problem with owning multiple devices is that accessing your data gets complicated," Mainelli writes. "Are your photos on the phone? On the notebook hard drive? Desktop hard drive? We think that for hardware vendors (like HP) to be successful in an era of multiple devices per person, they need to start thinking about how they can make their devices talk to each other in smart ways."

WebOS, of course, is currently an also-ran in a mobile OS market increasingly dominated by Google Android and Apple iOS. HP badly needs software developers to write apps for its mobile OS, and the WebOS-everywhere strategy is designed to lure them in.

"By installing WebOS on future PCs, HP potentially grows the WebOS user base by orders of magnitude too great for developers to ignore," writes Mainelli.

For HP's customers base, the benefits of Apotheker's WebOS-everywhere strategy are clear. For the rest of us, HP's focus on smart, interconnected devices is good news because it'll spur other hardware manufacturers to adopt a similar strategy. Less balkanization among your tech gadgets is always a good thing.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234