Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    your all thinking it's going to be webos fullying running on a pc but it's not. He said it's not. It's likely webos will be on your pc as a form of integration with your phone and tablet. Tap to share will prob be on your laptops palm area and maybe some kind of music service like itunes. They likely also plan on giving you notifications on your laptop just like touchpad does with your phone. It's going to be more like webos integration than running full on webos. Kind of like how apple uses "I" in front of everything that integrates your iphone. Hp will sell it as webos media center or webos touch to share or webos video chat etc.
    It would be easier for HP to buy all the patents for Android and modify Android to be nearly instant-on than making webOS instant-on...

@bigwood212: You're right! And probably it will run webOS (Enyo) apps too.
    this is going to make people want a webos phone just like people with apple laptops always want iphone. It also gets the word out. I think it changes everything.

it's going to be cool when your hp webos video chat can connect you with any webos phone without a skype account!
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    your all thinking it's going to be webos fullying running on a pc but it's not. He said it's not. It's likely webos will be on your pc as a form of integration with your phone and tablet. Tap to share will prob be on your laptops palm area and maybe some kind of music service like itunes. They likely also plan on giving you notifications on your laptop just like touchpad does with your phone. It's going to be more like webos integration than running full on webos. Kind of like how apple uses "I" in front of everything that integrates your iphone. Hp will sell it as webos media center or webos touch to share or webos video chat etc.
    That's the position (if the translations are right) that was put forward at the recent HP World Asian event - that it will be a bolt-on to Windows for Media synch not a replacement for windows.
    The biggest implication of this move which I've been predicting for over half a year [/brag] is that as soon as every PC from Hewlett-Packard ships with webOS, webOS is going to ship two devices a second.

It's going to be hard for developers, even the most radical Apple and Google fanbuoy dogfooders among them, to ignore a vertically integrated system selling that many units, especially if the system is integrated so well that Enyo allows them to code their app once and have users run it on their stamp-sized Veer, 10-inch touchpad or 23-inch desktop.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    The biggest implication of this move which I've been predicting for over half a year [/brag] is that as soon as every PC from Hewlett-Packard ships with webOS, webOS is going to ship two devices a second.

It's going to be hard for developers, even the most radical Apple and Google fanbuoy dogfooders among them, to ignore a vertically integrated system selling that many units, especially if the system is integrated so well that Enyo allows them to code their app once and have users run it on their stamp-sized Veer, 10-inch touchpad or 23-inch desktop.
    Great point.

And after considering this, it wouldn't make sense not to do it. This is the perfect strategy. HP has their head on straight. I see big things in the next few years.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

yes... With this kind of push there is no doubt webos will be up there soon enough. Webos on pc and printers is a win. Wouldn't it be nice if your pc, tablet, phone and printer all integrated perfectly in your home and business? That's the power of hp with webos.
    But think of something else important.
    Not everybody has an HP PC/laptop.
    It would only make sense to develop desktop (PC) software in Enyo if you could distribute it for all PCs, not only for HP PCs.
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    HP develops & tests their apps in Chrome using a WebOS extension so I'd expect a Chrome-based mechanism for running apps on PCs. Most WebOS apps are HTML5 based. PDK apps will need something emulator-esque but I'd expect it to just be an app window.

Were I building it from scratch, I'd have a taskbar widget that is tied to the HTML5 database for notifications. Each app would run in their own window, with any communication handled through the HTML5 database and/or a manager service. The manager service would handle the background Synergy (aka "cloud") access.

I'd configure the background service to support a different WebOS Synergy Profile per windows profile. That would allow each user on the PC to have access to their WebOS apps. That service would support whatever DRM schema HP settles on to manage application downloads. I'd guess that would be a key-based policy, allowing a single downloadable to work on any device as long as the device has acquired a Synergy Profile-specific unlock code via the manager. So Synergy Profile username + Synergy app code + DRM algorithm = app specific permission code.

Like iTunes, I'd limit the number of devices attached to a Synergy profile. 1 Enterprise tablet, 1 Enterprise phone, 1 personal phone, 1 personal tablet, and 5 PCs. I really expect some Enterprise Synergy service, akin to BBM-type device managment, that has limitations on apps, networking, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if devices registered to an Enterprise Synergy server could be blocked from homebrew or develper mode. Enterprise tablets might eventually support multiple profiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyczwillz View Post
    Where do you see webOS 2.x for OTA update for legacy phones? This was given by the dev community that worked and hacked it legally. That is not delivering your word.

HP also stated (not sure if it was Leo) 5-6 webOS devices to be released in 2011, I find that hard to believe if Veer is Spring, Touchpad and Pre3 in Summer.

I really enjoy webOS but they haven't delivered anything yet.
    actually, HP did deliver 2.1 some legacy devices. It was from this delivery that homebrewers were able to get 2.1 to the rest of the legacy devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    actually, HP did deliver 2.1 some legacy devices. It was from this delivery that homebrewers were able to get 2.1 to the rest of the legacy devices.
    I don't think so...
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    So basically it sounds ... from you guys are making of it that .. HP is simply going to reuse Palm Sync LOL!!! but make it for WebOS finally! so that way we can finally back up everything on our damn webos devices to our windows machine.
    My immediate thought was...

"Oh @#$%% here come the webOS viruses..."
    I also think, for one.... HP needs to focus on getting marketshare with WebOS and also getting APPS to back it up. It needs to get its hands on developers and get many useful apps that currently are lacking. Get the apps that people want, the ones that are flashed around everywhere "available as app on iphone / android" ... cuz it sucks sometimes webos aint in that sentence.

Then HP can really start going crazy with trying to get webos on every device / PC / WHATEVER in the world!

Make it the new windows! LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I don't think so...
    Check with Rob Whitby, but I'm pretty sure this is 100% accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    I don't think so...
    where do you think 2.1 came from? Do you think WebOSinternalz made it? No, they manipulated 2.1webOSdoctors provided by HP. HP released 2.1 to O2 germany Pre+'s a few weeks ago. That's what got the ball rolling.

HP didn't release webos2.1 for the Pre2 until this week... So for some, legacy devices were actually head of the game.
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    I would love to see webOS on my HP Touchsmart PC! Is there any word on possibly making this available to existing HP PCs?
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Unless the PC has a touch screen, I don't understand how it works.
    PCs actually have more dimensions of input than phones. Mouse will handle the in-app controls, with a "left click" being the actual touch. Any swipe actions will be handled by either click & drag or a button on the PC app. It'd be easy to feed input from keyboard or mouse to specific commands if they wanted to optimize the experience.

What will be the "need" (real or perceived) that will mean anything to the user? Perhaps HP has a plan for that - but the plan needs to go beyond "bundling" and extend into actual problems it solves for the user.
    First off, I'd make the HP internet printing app be a WebOS Synergy app, which will make WebOS less likelyto be uninstalled.

Touchstone-based bundles will be the hardware push. Discounted PC + Touchpad or PC + Pre3 to get the hook into users.

On the software front, I'd go for some free games (*cough* Angry Birds *cough*), various cloud-based services that are prepaid for a year but only via the WebOS PC app (i.e. dropboxify), and maybe a 3 month subscription to one of those Time-Warner magazines but only via WebOS apps.

Angry birds already has a free version so no cost to HP. Dropboxify and TimeWarner would be hoping they migrate to paid customers so they'd probably be willing to share the cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by kigmatzomat View Post
    PCs actually have more dimensions of input than phones. Mouse will handle the in-app controls, with a "left click" being the actual touch. Any swipe actions will be handled by either click & drag or a button on the PC app. It'd be easy to feed input from keyboard or mouse to specific commands if they wanted to optimize the experience.

First off, I'd make the HP internet printing app be a WebOS Synergy app, which will make WebOS less likelyto be uninstalled.

Touchstone-based bundles will be the hardware push. Discounted PC + Touchpad or PC + Pre3 to get the hook into users.

On the software front, I'd go for some free games (*cough* Angry Birds *cough*), various cloud-based services that are prepaid for a year but only via the WebOS PC app (i.e. dropboxify), and maybe a 3 month subscription to one of those Time-Warner magazines but only via WebOS apps.

Angry birds already has a free version so no cost to HP. Dropboxify and TimeWarner would be hoping they migrate to paid customers so they'd probably be willing to share the cost.
    I really like these ideas. I also think people would be very likely to use these on the touchsmart PCs as it would offer a much more compelling interface than windows, even skinned.
    So, are all new HP pc's in 2012 going to come with a touchscreen? Why would I want to run Webos on a pc using a mouse and keyboard? What advantage would I get whatsoever?
    I already have multiple apps open in windows 7 with an easy swipe mode between apps using "window+tab". I get my notifications with outlook.

I have facebook, twitter, google and every other app although not many from webos but in their true form already on my windows computer.

Sounds like a poor excuse at trying to be cutesy but in the end will be a total failure.

Everything HP has done with the accusition of Palm has been a total disaster and flop and it doesn't look like it's going to change.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast