Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 65
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    On the other hand, I remember when a software company started including their own browser on every copy of their OS. Seemed to work for them.
    But HP is a hardware company, not Microsoft.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyczwillz View Post
    Where do you see webOS 2.x for OTA update for legacy phones? This was given by the dev community that worked and hacked it legally. That is not delivering your word.
    They released a public 2.1 doctor specifically for Pre Plus phones in Germany. It's true that they didn't release it to everyone, and it's also true that you can say that they didn't deliver on their word.

    But don't tell me that they didn't expect Internals to hack it and make it work on all Pre (+/-)'s. They had to know. They had to!
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    But HP is a hardware company, not Microsoft.
    Actually, that's incorrect. HP sells software, hardware, and services.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    They released a public 2.1 doctor specifically for Pre Plus phones in Germany. It's true that they didn't release it to everyone, and it's also true that you can say that they didn't deliver on their word.

    But don't tell me that they didn't expect Internals to hack it and make it work on all Pre (+/-)'s. They had to know. They had to!
    I think they only released it because O2 Germany made HP pressure.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    ...
    But don't tell me that they didn't expect Internals to hack it and make it work on all Pre (+/-)'s. They had to know. They had to!
    HP gave WebOS Internals a server days before they (WebOS Internals) released the information on how to do your own update.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Actually, that's incorrect. HP sells software, hardware, and services.
    Yes, but to people known mainly as a hardware company.
    You can't compare Microsoft and HP. If Microsoft changes something in their OS, people are ok with it. But they don't want 3rd-party crap from computer producers like HP.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    HP gave WebOS Internals a server days before they (WebOS Internals) released the information on how to do your own update.
    HP had given them a server even if the thing with the 2.1-update/meta-docor had been happend earlier.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    HP gave WebOS Internals a server days before they (WebOS Internals) released the information on how to do your own update.
    That's what I'm sayin'!

    They knew all of us were angry, and that we wouldn't be getting an official 2.1 update. So they release it over in Germany and let Internals do their magic. It's a classic win/win situation!
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    That's what I'm sayin'!

    They knew all of us were angry, and that we wouldn't be getting an official 2.1 update. So they release it over in Germany and let Internals do their magic. It's a classic win/win situation!
    Should that really be how that is? Expecting a community to hack your software?
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyczwillz View Post
    Should that really be how that is? Expecting a community to hack your software?
    I think they knew that there would be many people who install it on "not-allowed" devices. But I don't think they care much about them (us).
    I think they had to release the doctor because O2 Germany wanted so.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyczwillz View Post
    Should that really be how that is? Expecting a community to hack your software?
    What other company gives their hacking community a server? They encourage their devices to be hacked, by releasing the source code.

    No, it shouldn't be that way. But in the end I don't see how it's any different. The ones who want it now have an option. It's better than not releasing at all.

    They're still planning 'something special' for us legacy users.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    What other company gives their hacking community a server? They encourage their devices to be hacked, by releasing the source code.
    If you mean the open source page:
    The source code they release they have to release because of the license of many Linux libs and other projects which are GPL (or another open source license).

    If you mean that apps are open source (but not of the license), that's because of the fact that web technology are real-time-interpreted. But yes, they encourage patches and so on.
  13. #33  
    I don't know about anyone else, but the first thing I do, if I purchase a brand name PC, is to wipe it and pull a clean install of the OS to the hard drive in order to get rid of all the crap before I do anything else.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    Yes, but to people known mainly as a hardware company.
    You can't compare Microsoft and HP. If Microsoft changes something in their OS, people are ok with it. But they don't want 3rd-party crap from computer producers like HP.
    Most computer manufacturers put "3rd-party crap" on their computers. It's a revenue source, and is one of the ways they keep prices down. Next time you buy a new computer, take not of things like Google or Yahoo tool bar, virus scanner trial versions, Office trial versions, etc.. Folks may not "want" it, but they'll accept it since it lowers the price and they really can't avoid it.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyczwillz View Post
    Should that really be how that is? Expecting a community to hack your software?
    The openness of WebOS has always been one of the better aspects of the OS.
  16. #36  
    Yeah, I format my hd first and reinstall os, so I won't see all the craps. And if they have dual boot to webos, I never go there, ever.


    Sent from Tapatalk
  17. #37  
    Unless the PC has a touch screen, I don't understand how it works.

    But the main problem is, and has been, giving people WebOS without any compelling case use, means it just languishes in the bin of "unused crap my PC came with" which either gets wiped with a restore, or ignored.

    When was the last time any of you bought/used/purchased a third party app that was included with your computer?

    I bet for most of you, the only time you did was for Virus software but that is because a case was built for it; you had and saw a need.


    What will be the "need" (real or perceived) that will mean anything to the user? Perhaps HP has a plan for that - but the plan needs to go beyond "bundling" and extend into actual problems it solves for the user.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyczwillz View Post
    Where do you see webOS 2.x for OTA update for legacy phones? This was given by the dev community that worked and hacked it legally. That is not delivering your word.

    HP also stated (not sure if it was Leo) 5-6 webOS devices to be released in 2011, I find that hard to believe if Veer is Spring, Touchpad and Pre3 in Summer.

    I really enjoy webOS but they haven't delivered anything yet.
    Did you forget that the 7" tablet (aka Opal) is due in September?
    PalmPad render leaked, 9-inch Topaz and 7-inch Opal | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

    There will likely be other announcements.

    Unless the PC has a touch screen, I don't understand how it works.
    HP has been selling PCs with touch screens (the TouchSmart line) since 2007.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    ...
    When was the last time any of you bought/used/purchased a third party app that was included with your computer?
    ...
    There are millions, possibly billions, of instances of Google and/or Yahoo toolbars installed on PCs that users don't realize aren't part of an "unmodified" IE installation. Of course, that's now beginning to happen with Bing.
  20. #40  
    Let's see... (Run-On Sentence Alert!)

    If they can get WebOS to boot up QUICKLY when the PC is turned on (leveraging that quickboot stuff they bought?), then the user is immediately presented with certain key apps available on the screen (OpenOffice/Music/Web/etc), able to be used from the get-go, with one of the apps being Windows (and that one takes a while to launch/boot), they may be convinced that WebOS is pretty cool, since it was available for use immediately, unlike Windows. They'd be forced to use it, and see how handy it is.

    That would require the PC to boot into WebOS, running Windows in a Card.

    Another option is to boot into Windows, running WebOS as a program in a Window. That option would get little use from those not already into WebOS, they'd never run the program. If it ran automatically they'd see it as bloat. I prefer the first option.

    Now, Leo... Please put it on your HP Slate 500, or a newer version, the 501?
    "Everybody Palm!"

    Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions