1.    #1  
    This is probably a silly question, but is is possible to convert a GSM Pre 2 to a CDMA Sprint phone? I have a couple of Sprint Pres around and I know you can convert a Verizon phone (also CDMA) but is it possible to swap some parts around and make a GSM phone into a CDMA (Sprint) phone? Or are the guts too different.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Yes you can. I did the procedure a couple of days ago & it works great, I am loving my new Sprint Pre 2. There are a couple of threads in the forums about this, but I think this post is the most simplified, it is what I used to do the procedure.

Step by Step Sprint Pre 2 Conversion Guide | webOSroundup

I had no issues doing it, and this was the first time that I did something like this, so you should probably be fine. Just thoroughly read through it and don't skip over anything.
  3.    #4  
    Wonderful!
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
  4.    #5  
    I notice that it upgrades to 2.0.1 instead of 2.1. Is there a way to upgrade all the way?
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Yes you can. I did the procedure a couple of days ago & it works great, I am loving my new Sprint Pre 2. There are a couple of threads in the forums about this, but I think this post is the most simplified, it is what I used to do the procedure.

Step by Step Sprint Pre 2 Conversion Guide | webOSroundup

I had no issues doing it, and this was the first time that I did something like this, so you should probably be fine. Just thoroughly read through it and don't skip over anything.
    How much experience, or level of expertise in electronics/taking stuff apart do you have? I honestly would rather have someone else do this for me and KNOW it will work than me try and screw it up.

That being said, if you say it's easy enough ( I have a decent amount of experience with taking stuff apart ) I'll try it, but I don't want to end up with two NON-working devices.. haha
    Sprint Love
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    How much experience, or level of expertise in electronics/taking stuff apart do you have? I honestly would rather have someone else do this for me and KNOW it will work than me try and screw it up.

That being said, if you say it's easy enough ( I have a decent amount of experience with taking stuff apart ) I'll try it, but I don't want to end up with two NON-working devices.. haha

I don't have any experience taking stuff apart, I usually pay other people to do hardware mods & things like that. I was waiting to for webOS World's service, but I got too impatient & decided to do it myself. The instructions posted looked straight forward, and the one line script for the metadoctor made me feel more comfortable doing it.

I read through the instructions like 4 times, & reviewed the photos like crazy, and took my time doing it, and was fortunate enough to get it right the 1st time. I also had a spare Pre 2 that I had won, & was willing to buy another pre minus on ebay, had I trashed both phones. At that point I would have paid some one to do it.

But I was successful the first time, so I figure if someone like me could do it, then anyone could. Good luck with your mod, I'm sure you won't have a problem.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  7.    #8  
    I don't think a Sprint Pre 2 can get an OTA update to 2.1, I'm pretty sure it can be updated to 2.1 using the metadoctor; but I'm not sure. I would wait until their is confirmation on how a Sprint Pre 2 can be upgraded to 2.1
    It's showing up in the system updates app, but the best thing to do is wait for official confirmation from webOS Internals.

The process to get a Sprint Pre's comm board on a Pre 2 isn't trivial, but it's not too difficult. You just need a steady hand, good eyes, a couple of hours, and an ability to follow directions to the letter.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums