View Poll Results: What frame of mind are you in about taking your legacy device to WebOS 2.0?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have a Pixi or Pixi Plus which only supports WebOS 1.x.x (but here's to hoping)

7 7.87%
  • I am on WebOS 1.x.x and intent on staying on it

9 10.11%
  • I am on WebOS 1.x.x and don't know how to use a meta-doctor

17 19.10%
  • I have used WebOS 2.x.x on my legacy device but find it buggy so I am returning to WebOS 1.4.5

2 2.25%
  • I am on WebOS 2.x.x and am staying put because it works well enough or better than WebOS 1.x.x

33 37.08%
  • I can use a meta-doctor but am waiting for WebOS 2.x.x to be fully cooked with more apps, etc.

19 21.35%
  • I have no idea what the above poll is talking about

2 2.25%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I upgraded my Verizon pre+ last Wednesday Evening. Everything is working great, speed is as good or better than 1.4.5, battery life is about the same, I am OC'd with Uberkernel running screenstate 500/1000. Following the directions in the wiki was key and I did not lose anything. I also enabled flash and that now works great as well. Exchange integration is much better and I now have HTML email for my work exchange account. I also made the obligatory donations for use of the software.

I like the transitions better, it just seems smoother. Exhibition mode is great, voice dial is OK, bluetooth connection with my Nuvi 1490 GPS is much better. The bluetooth used to cause the garmin to reboot when there was an incoming call, that has not happened since upgrading, but I am still keeping an eye out on that.

Hopefully the phone will last for a while now and new apps will come out. 8-)
    I wasn't sure how to answer. I've never used metadoctor, but I am pretty sure that I could, especially as there seem to be very explicit directions available. Still, that does put a tiny edge of fear into the equation.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I know how to use MetaDoctor but I'm not sure the upgrade is worth it. It seems like there's some significant bugs introduced. That coupled with the lack of patches and potential profile issues makes me want to wait a bit before doing anything.
    The three issues in particular that people are chattering about that concern me are:
    1) losing your profile -- perhaps this has been reslove? I have a lot of purchased softwware I don't want to lose.
    2) problems with email not working
    3) issues with the google calendar not syncing reliably, and only show 3 months even when it does work.

Items 2 and 3 have been reported with Palms that came with OEM OS 2, so they seem like serious issues.

Have any of the folks here who have "upgraded" their OS run into them? Have you avoided them?
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    -Flash works great with uberkernel
    -Voice dial is a must for a bluetooth headset, especially in a state where one is required
    -Just type is far different from Universal Search because it allows applications to create a DB to search from
    -Applications have far greater functionality in 2.x
    -UI animations are enhanced, some might not say this is worth mentioning but in my humble opinion it's much underrated
    -Email app is 1000x faster and smoother
    -Everything on 2.x is smoother, quicker, and far more polished (details, details, details!)
    -Launcher is much improved over previous, with built in pages and page names (I know there is patch but 2.x version is better than the patch)
    -In 1.4.5 when browsing web pages, text was unclear and rows would 'squish', this does not happen in 2.x
    -Stacks (you already know this, but don't ignore it they're very useful)
    -Favorites
    -Exhibition
    -Bluetooth keyboards
    -Battery drains at much much slower pace

Do I need to continue? Did I miss something?

After using 2.1 for two weeks, I cannot imagine going back. I couldn't do it. It would drive me crazy. 2.1 is sooooo good, it's like upgrading from Vista to Windows 7.
    I'd really like to have flash. And heavens knows I'd like more responsive email. Have you not had the problems listed above?

Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    These are equally applicable to my OC'd Pre-. I definitely won't be going back. The 3x icons in the launcher annoy the hell out of me every time I look at them, but 2.1 is a better overall experience even on a Pre-. (It does need the overclocking, but I have not had any memory problems)
    That's good to know, as I also have a Sprint Pre-

(so not concerned about GPS, it has always worked well enough.)
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    I wasn't sure how to answer. I've never used metadoctor, but I am pretty sure that I could, especially as there seem to be very explicit directions available. Still, that does put a tiny edge of fear into the equation.The three issues in particular that people are chattering about that concern me are:
    1) losing your profile -- perhaps this has been reslove? I have a lot of purchased softwware I don't want to lose.
    2) problems with email not working
    3) issues with the google calendar not syncing reliably, and only show 3 months even when it does work.

Items 2 and 3 have been reported with Palms that came with OEM OS 2, so they seem like serious issues.

Have any of the folks here who have "upgraded" their OS run into them? Have you avoided them?
    I'd really like to have flash. And heavens knows I'd like more responsive email. Have you not had the problems listed above?

That's good to know, as I also have a Sprint Pre-

(so not concerned about GPS, it has always worked well enough.)
    As for your questions I did not run into any of those issues, the most recent scripts have resolved the issues. My profile was not lost, all of my data synced. I did have to re-setup all of my accounts and while a pain in the ***, it was a small price to pay for the goodness that is webos 2.1. I do not have a gmail account or google calendar, but do have an exchange account and several independent pop3 accounts that all work fabulously.

It took several hours to get all of the software on my computer so that I could run the scripts to build the 2.1.0 verizon metadoctor, and it took about 30-40 minutes to update my phone, then another hour for everything to sync. All-in-all it went very smoothly. There are some apps that did not get re-installed, but all of the important ones did. Running the Save/Restore was important and it did keep all of my Angry Birds progress and other important info.
    Thanks. I think I'll wait for reports from the google crowd, and perhaps the sprint crowd, but my most important email account is a third-party POP3 account, so I'm glad to hear that's working smoothly. In addition to Angry birds, I bought a couple of other games, and I'd be very sad to lose FlightView and FlightPredictor. Other than games, I don't seem to have paid for many apps. I did have a copy of classic, but I gave it away as it never worked smoothly for me -- I get too much email, and it blew out its alloted memory.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    The only thing holding me back from updating my Pre+ is losing my Palm Profile as it's set up, icon arrangement, installed apps, synergy accounts, memos and everything else that I've got a lot of now after 9 months of using WebOS and just don't like the thought of manually readding it all once I've installed 2.1. Also, only a few of the patches I use have been updated.
    my 2 cents is Ive updated a sprint pre minus, and a pre plus (VZ) to 2.1 and have no issues at all. My profyle didnt erase, and all my apps came over. There are a good amount of patchs already in preware, along with most of the OC kernels (even the SR71 I run on the plus). I have a google account and have no issues with it syncing with the calander at all. My battery life is actully better then 1.45 on both devices, and flash works very well on the plus, and ok on the minus. Again as stated before the transitions alone, and better animation is well worth it, and stacks I use more then I ever thought I would. To me when updating to 2.1 it has made me able to stay put to see where the Pre 3 goes in the next few months, I recommend updating your pre minus, or plus to 2.1 its a pleasure.

Also: more patchs like sms tone per contact, and 4x4 launcher are as we speak in the process of trying to get ported over. The Virtual keyboard is very very good, iphone like though with the legacy devices it is not working as of yet properly and causes the phone to freeze upon fast entry or luna start. I think if someone resubmitted the 2.1 version of the keyboard the one HP sent the update to the Pre 2's with, that problem would be resolved but I havent heard from anyone who is willing to do so.
    sprint pixi. HIGHLY dissapointed with my lack of 2.x when HP, formerly palm, promised it to me earlier this year.
    An update: after several long hours of carefully reading several threads, meta-doctor wikis, videos, wondering why my phone "needed" to charge (even though it was full) I've upgraded to 2.1. I may have been a bit over cautious but it seems I've done everything correctly and haven't had any issues with appears, profiles etc.

I think I'm glad I waited a little longer than some. My first 3 downloads after upgrading were Preware, Govnah, Uberkernel.

Overall, (still on Day 1 of real use), I'm pretty happy with it so far. No Flash yet, that's tonight's gig.

I'm finding 2.1 overclocked at SS 1K/500 doesn't seem a whole lot faster than 1.4.5 at same overclock, but I'm ok with that.

Biggest difference that I've noticed that's making it all worth while:
    I've lost 8% battery (from full) in 2 hours, which was unheard of, at my level of usage....used to be closer to 20%.

So all other benefits aside, that extra batt life is the bomb.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I know how to use MetaDoctor but I'm not sure the upgrade is worth it. It seems like there's some significant bugs introduced. That coupled with the lack of patches and potential profile issues makes me want to wait a bit before doing anything.
    Well I made the plunge to 2.1 on my VZW Pre+ last week. I couldn't be happier. There's only a few patches that haven't been ported over that I really miss. Overall performance is better w/ F105 at 1Ghz. Email is snappier, launcher is very smooth, voice dialing is great, browser is smoother, exhibition mode is great, txt messages & call logs get backed up now, etc...

I highly recommend upgrading. It's really much easier than the tons of pages in the metadoctor thread would lead you to believe. I guess there's no patch for being stupid.
  10.    #30  
    Managed to get flash working on my pre, gotta say if it wasn't OCed would be choppy as hell. But seems to be running 'OK'.

Phone froze yesterday whilst downloading/installing app catalogue updates (i.e. Angry birds) which forced a luna restart, haven't had that happen to me for a while!

Battery usage still running down quite quickly. Have used Dr.Battery to reprogram my 1400 extended battery, shows near perfect health, so it's not the battery. Used to get 18 hours medium usage out of it on 1.4.5, lucky if I get 8 hours at moment on 2.1.0. May remove all patches for a few days, see if that helps!

May sound like a silly question this but, 'Does the pre learn how to use its battery more efficiently and self optimize to get more time out of a charge?'
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12