1.    #1  
    I emailed Leo Apotheker at the HP corporate address that was listed in a post this weekend. I did not expect any kind of reply knowing it to be a "public relations" type of address which is read only by assistants. Flash forward to today-I received an actual phone call from a person who identified himself as a Palm representative and he said he was calling in reply to my email. He asked if there was anything he could do. I expressed my difficulty with Palms lack of hardware on Sprint and the fact that 4 of my 5 lines (3 Pres, 1 pixi) are due for an upgrade that disappears 4/1/11 if not used. He was very nice but basically stated that there wasn't anything he could tell me past what I already knew, but that he would pass the information on.
    Yeah, I wish it was HP/Palms descision regarding who sold their phones. This one is definitely on Sprint.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

so why are they waiting so long to negotiate with a carrier. I feel this is only hurting hp. Maybe I would hold out to make my next purchase, if I knew that hp was going to sprint, but instead it looks like I'm upgrading all 5 of my lines to something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Yeah, I wish it was HP/Palms descision regarding who sold their phones. This one is definitely on Sprint.
    Sprint could have also told Palm/HP what they want in their next phone and HP decided not to do it. Unfortunately all these conversations are extremely private, and we'll never know the true story.
    Carrier chooses the phones. It is not likely that HP would go with an exclusive carrier at this point. They will need to go everywhere. With Sprint doubling down on Android, HP will likely go elsewhere. My guess is an ATT/Verizon launch. Will be surprised if you see anything on Sprint/T-Mobile.

Hmmn, so you think Sprint was "stretching" the truth to its corporate customers when it told them it was getting a new Palm device?
    New Palm devices headed for Sprint? | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community
    First off, I can imagine your pain. It must really suck if your carrier forces you to upgrade by a certain date or forfeit your upgrade, especially if the phone you'd like doesn't arrive by the deadline. I would hate to be stuck in your situation and feel genuinely sorry for you.

With that said, it'll never cease to amaze me how people can believe that whining to a multinational corporation about their personal plight is going to make said multinational change their plans.

"Mr. Apotheker? Sir, I know you said not to disturb your meeting with the general managers from HP Europe, HP East Asia and HP Oceania, but this is urgent: Bob Johnson from Akron just called and said he'd buy an Evo if the Pre 3 doesn't make it to his carrier of choice by his arbitrary and individual deadline. I realize that the CTO, the product manager and the senior marketing strategist agreed on a later date for the worldwide rollout, but look - Mr. Johnson has a family plan, so we'd be losing four lines... yes sir, that's right. And I'm afraid I'll need your decision now. Shall I tell the Chinese we're gonna be okay with five suicides over our production lines this quarter? We've been keeping within our usual quota of three factory workers for the last four quarters, so it should be alright."
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Hmmn, so you think Sprint was "stretching" the truth to its corporate customers when it told them it was getting a new Palm device?
    New Palm devices headed for Sprint? | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community
    I think that that rumor didn't come from Sprint. Either way, my point was that this is a carrier decsion and not something to lay at the feet of HP.

Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    my whole theory on why HP had no carriers to announce is simple. two years ago when they announced the pre, they got a massive boost. so much so palms stock went from a couple of bux to almost ten!
    i think HP was just hoping they would be able leverage the positive feedback they were expecting to get from the touchpad and pre 3 announcements. unfortunatly earlier in the month we had their ceo saying when they announce something its ready to go. so we all were expecting an april delivery at the latest and next thing we know they have no carriers to announce, vague release dates, and now the bombshell our old pres would not receive updates...
    so hp got caught with their pants down...
    after seeing their plans for webos though i have a lot of hope left still. if they can really make webos secure enough for enterprise and create their ecosystem on pc webos will be a challenger to apple!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    i believe that sprint will be getting the pre3 as long as it passes testing and thats probably whats taking so long . im willing to bet that sprint is testing the pre3 for hardware and software issues extensively before it makes a decision and also staying at the bargaining table until HP agree to absorb any and all costs due to hardware failure . lol i would too .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  11. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Wow, so there's nothing you can actually tell me other than what I already know? I will be sure to pass that on. Thanks for the update.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    hp can't get a carrier to carry the veer or pre3. Hence no availability dates.
    this was such a great post. precentral has become 60% of these types of threads.
    Global Posts
    395 Global Posts
    why are there so many post saying why hasn't hp announced any carriers. Maybe it's the carriers fault not hps. Plus can we get the moderators to lock ghese earliers. I swear ever other post is why n.o carriers. I bet after they announce a carrier the next 3 month will be filled with people complaining that it's not their carrier.
    Palm reps still visit Sprint stores, in my mind this is good news. I'm just being patient at this point. There's nothing else we can realistically achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    hp can't get a carrier to carry the veer or pre3. Hence no availability dates.
    Yup, it's definitely because the Pre 3 is such an inferior piece of hardware that no carrier wants to sell it. lower-middle class android phones and dumbphones are super-great and launched every other day, but a 1,4 GHz smartphone with top-of-the-line specs across the board? Or the smallest smartphone on the market? Nobody wants that.

The delay CANNOT be due to HP needing to produce a couple million units each of Veer, Pre 3 and TouchPad before they can start a concerted worldwide rollout. That wouldn't be apocalyptic enough. No: there is no carrier in the whole wide world that can imagine selling a webOS phone, because they're just that terrible. Might as well send a hitman to your customer's door as give him a HP device.

You're all thinking far too parochial. You're thinking like small consumers interested only in when the phone comes to YOUR (local) carrier, instead of trying to think like MegaCorp, Inc. with a few thousand employees in each nation on the globe.
  17.    #17  
    The point of my e-mailing Leo was not to "whine". I make my own decisions about how to spend my money, on which carrier and with what phone. Having said that, I wanted Hp to be aware that their business decisions and their relationship with the carriers is hurting their business. As I expressed to the Palm rep, 5 lines isn't alot of money to HP, but if the largest core of WebOs users is pressured to switch to a competitor due to a total lack of options, this will hurt HP on a significant financial scale overall (i.e. If I don't have a Pre3 I have no need for a touchpad). As a consumer I think it's fair to offer feedback to whom I have given my money to.
    Did you ask about how or when HP plans to "make things right" for non-Pre2 owners?
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    Did you ask about how or when HP plans to "make things right" for non-Pre2 owners?
    They're probably going to give them a new phone of their choice.
    /sarcasm

• I know, I know, not really very likely. But it holds as much validity as the statements from detractors that they're:
    • Just lying
    • Going to do nothing
    • Going to wait until the complainers have all moved to other platforms
    • Going to give a useless discount
    • etc