Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been thoroughly disappointed in Google maps on my Pre-, it takes ages to load and only has the most basic of features so I was wondering what are the odds that HP's close connections to microsoft might move us to Bing Maps?
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Also, check out BFG Maps, which somehow loads Google maps more quickly and adds some features, too.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Doesn't AT&T Pre use Bing maps instead? Maybe it's possible to take the IPK's from the webos doctor and put them on your Pre-
    Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    I would love to see Bing maps rather than Google Maps. Way too slow, and info out of date (which is a big deal in Nevada where the rapid growth has resulted in rapid changes to maps). YP uses Bing Maps, and it works so much better on my Pre, but it doesn't autolocate, so that's annoying.
    Looks like Bing Maps has a mobile API for non-WP7 phones so if there's strong desire someone could start making an app just like BFG Maps was made for Google Maps.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Hey all, I have had success taking

com.yellowpages.ypmobile.preload_1.0-11_armv7.ipk

out of AT&T webos doctor and using WebOS quick install to plop it onto a Sprint Pre-

See pics for screenshots. You can use Bing maps and Google maps side by side.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png 1.png (166.3 KB, 78 views)
    • File Type: png 2.png (239.8 KB, 67 views)
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Bumping this thread as the article on the front page implies this isn't already reality.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just out of curiosity, what do you guys use Google/Bing maps for? I find the built-in Sprint Nav to be far superior to Google, anyway. Haven't tried Bing. You can do searches in Sprint Nav, and you can dial phone numbers from the search results.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Whoops. I'm not under NDA but someone let me play with the webOS 3.0 emulator and the Maps app does use Bing now.
    Last edited by nappy; 03/30/2011 at 11:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    nappy - that is breaking your NDA, please remove that image.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Whoops. I'm not under NDA but someone let me play with the webOS 3.0 emulator and the Maps app does use Bing now.
    ugh, slap that person and remind him that that is why we keep getting sdks later and later in the game, because of leaks like that.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujila View Post

out of AT&T webos doctor and using WebOS quick install to plop it onto a Sprint Pre-

That worked perfectly! It is much faster also.
    This news is pretty awesome, especially since it's a move I predicted a few months ago *brag*
    I don't understand why HP|Palm didn't develop a native Google Maps application like Apple did. Instead, they just load m.google.com/m/maps and call it a day.

Bing is NOT an improvement over Google Maps, use it enough and you'll quickly understand why.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    A webOS world without Google Maps (as awful as it is) means no Google Transit. I know Bing has transit directions but they're laughable in comparison, they don't even allow agencies to submit data to them.

We need Google Maps.
    cant we have both? i like using latitude in google maps.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Both would be better, just like we get an option on who we can have as our default search engine. All the evidence so far points to Bing only though...

I just tried to do simple intersection to intersection directions via bing maps and it forced me to put the intersection name plus the city, state for each intersection before it would give me directions. Is this the future we want?
    I can't say I'm excited about having Bing for a map app. It's not as detailed as Google, where I live anyway. Maybe there's something I'm missing.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujila View Post

can you upload the ipk?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast