Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I mentioned this in a tweet to Palm, but as I have a little bit of spare time right now I wanted to expound upon it slightly (and because not many people follow my Twitter anyway).

2.1.0 is great, but having played with Just Type for a while, and having added only a few extra options, it's already way too cluttered.

To give a demonstration of what I mean, here's just one test search:

Admittedly, I do have all options expanded, but that's solely for the sake of demonstration. Even only showing three (and then the fourth More... button) options, it just doesn't work well to scroll through what you want to do. And keep in mind, there's barely any apps that take advantage of Just Type yet. Most of what I've shown is natively enabled (except for maybe 3 additions).

The Pre 3 might fix this, with the higher resolution screen, but with the Veer and Pre 2 that are going to natively have Just Type as well, it's an issue.

What we really need is an icon-only advanced mode. I made a quick (and very ugly) mockup to show what I mean.

There's literally zero wasted space, and everything fits on the Pre screen. You could even make these lines of icons scrollable to the left and right, for when we inevitably get more than this many apps that take advantage of it.

Some might say the description is necessary, but I disagree. I mean, every Just Type plugin is going to be for an application we install on the device, and most likely see the icon often in the launcher. Even after only a couple uses, these are all clearly identifiable, with maybe Wikipedia being the only confusing one.

Honestly, this wastefulness of space is the difference between Just Type plugins being an awesome feature, and absolutely a waste. If I have to scroll around all the time to do what I want to, I might as well just use it to open the app directly and tap the new post (or whatever) icon, and it'll be faster that way.
    it doesn't just work like my pre 1? I think universal search is perfect.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    it doesn't just work like my pre 1? I think universal search is perfect.
    It can, but they made it more powerful. The problem is, the power of this is wasteful, and it spreads out things that can easily be grouped together.
    it can be really amazing how software engineers can fail to figure out what would be easiset for the end user.
    This was my lame mock up of how it should work i posted when webos 2.0 was announced. This idea is to have the basic function u wana do first, then itll show your options after that. I like icon based ideas too. All of these should be preference options i think.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    it can be really amazing how software engineers can fail to figure out what would be easiset for the end user.
    i don't think icons would be "easiest" for most end users. i'm sure a large portion of users won't even know how to use quick actions.

but i do think more options should be available to advanced users... without relying on homebrew.
    Awesome concept!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    What we really need is an icon-only advanced mode. I made a quick (and very ugly) mockup to show what I mean.

Excellent idea! Another addition would be to add text under these icons to provide a bit more guidance for users that don't have them memorized.
    Global Posts
    803 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    What we really need is an icon-only advanced mode. . . .
    Excellent idea!
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    +1

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Brilliant!
    Although I like it the way it is, I can see a lot of people wanting and using this option.

I think I could really dig that
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
    Is the icon idea just turning it back into the launcher? Maybe it just pulls up the launcher, then u go to any app u want, and that will expand into a search or qa option?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    i don't think icons would be "easiest" for most end users. i'm sure a large portion of users won't even know how to use quick actions.

but i do think more options should be available to advanced users... without relying on homebrew.
    Agreed, more options is always good
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Great idea. Reminds me of something similar I just did, removed the labels from the icons on my Bookmarks Bar in Chrome. The icon is really all you need.
    well I'll be ready to patch up my phone for this great option!!. I hope all our patch developers are still with webOs.. We got awesome patches!
    Really nice idea, but those icons look small. Would there be a lot of mis-taps?
    Simply brilliant...The launcher may not be so patchable anymore, but I wonder if Sconix could do this instead....

screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    I doubt it's patchable but I love this idea! If Palm adopts this I would love them forever... more, I mean. Maybe while they're at it they can fix Text Assist.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast