Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    I still can't believe the July 31st deadline. That's just brilliant.
    I personally am not interested in a touchpad and I may be in the minority here but I want a physical keyboard. I tried a slab phone and came back to my pre after about 2 months because of no keyboard!
    This incessant whining that has taken over the forums is getting ridiculous. You all do realize that you make a decision to support or not support a company with your wallet? Buy their products if that is what you want and if you don't then don't buy it. I understand the frustration being a Sprint Pre - user from 2009.

Honestly if not getting a redemption gift from HP (who had nothing to do with the original Pre nor the problems that plague it, that was Palm's failure) is really such a big deal to you I'd really re-consider my life's priorities.
    I am, therefore I think
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    i just think it's funny.

HP: "Sorry we didn't fix you're phone and bring it up to date but give us $600 for something that's not a phone and we'll give you $50 back in a few weeks. You're welcome."
    yeah, pure, brutal, blatant, business.. hehe, and they word it like they are doing us a favor.... I kinda think it won't work for most people.
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    If that's "making things right" they can shove it. HP will never EVER feature on my list of approved suppliers again. I need an up to date phone, not a slab - not that it matters anyway because their insular mindset doesn't give anything to anyone outside the USA & Canada.
    Let alone it can't replace a phone which this "rightness" needs to replace.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    yeah, pure, brutal, blatant, business.. hehe, and they word it like they are doing us a favor.... I kinda think it won't work for most people.
    I think it's absolute genius. I mean, there probably isn't much they can do to win back some of the people who are legitimately peeved at HP (except for ToniCipriani, who I have great sympathy for because 3 year contracts suck).

Everyone else gets to pay HP $550 to "make things right." That's just brilliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    i'm sure it will work for some. But if you're like me and don't need or want a tablet (or want a different brand) this doesn't solve you're phone issues. I never expected anything from HP. I wasn't that mad when they didn't upgrade the phones. but i still don't think this would make it right.

They just want you to buy their tablet.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Two points to make, if I may:

1. "making it right" is NOT exclusive to Sprint Pre/Pixi customers, but to all who bought and use a Pre/+ or Pixi/+, as THEY are the ones who now have devices with an OS with a terminal life, instead of always having OS upgradability, as promised initially, by JR himself. ALL!

2. Carriers have WAY too much control of the devices we have to choose from these days... and its something our regulators have to begin to look at. There is NO reason that any consumer should not be able to buy the device of their choice and have it run on any carrier of thier choice, other than for market/competitive advantages by a specific carrier. Sprint, T-Mobile and even the smaller carriers should all be able to accept any smarpthone into thier network and work with it, to keep the playing field level and assure real competition between carriers. After all, it is a consumer-owned device, and not a licensed/leased unit.

Additionally, I have NO need for a tablet device, so, for me, this latest gesture from HP means little to nothing - still have a device (Pre +) that they have indiciated they will not officially allow updates to its OS beyond 1.45 to allow it to use the hardware it came with, which is a direct contradiction to JR's promises, and what I expected when I bought it.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

JED-WEB-OS likes this.
    IMO if only it were good for the 16GB Touchpad this would be a legitimately good offer.
    I'll bet that less then 20% of the legacy device users will take advantage of this deal. they just threw this out there so they can say that they kept their promise. they know very well that a majority of people won't be taking advantage of this deal.
    Seeing that email was like HP just giving me the middle finger. I was hoping for something like "Hold tight WebOS fans! HP IS COMING TO SPRINT!" Even if its NOT the Pre3 but to give us an idea what we can see in our future. TouchPad does me NO GOOD with out a phone to go along with it. For me its not even about the money off. Its a "Here get the best TouchPad to just use it like an iPad and take NO advantage of the touch to share technology! That is whats enrages the sprint fan such as my self. I hope this explains why we have a lot of whining going on. Not that whining fixes anything.

I really hope HP does something better than this. I dont wanna be left in the dust with only a TouchPad even if it is cool. Without a phone to go with it, it will be useless for me.

Anyone agree?

So I will not ***** about it. Just letting the world know where I come from and how I view things is all!

Take care guys!

(I have a feeling Android might be in my future sadly. Not matter how much I hate it.)
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    This incessant whining that has taken over the forums is getting ridiculous. You all do realize that you make a decision to support or not support a company with your wallet? Buy their products if that is what you want and if you don't then don't buy it. I understand the frustration being a Sprint Pre - user from 2009.

Honestly if not getting a redemption gift from HP (who had nothing to do with the original Pre nor the problems that plague it, that was Palm's failure) is really such a big deal to you I'd really re-consider my life's priorities.
    Again, the make things right was not about the Palm Pre having problems although there have been a few. It was about HP/Palm making a promise and then not following thru at the 2/9/11 press conference when they announced that the legacy devices would not be updated. HP said this and made the promise that they would "make things right".
    I bought a phione and it is the phone that they have rendered old and falling apart. What we need is an update or a discount on a new phone. This concept of selling me something else when the first thing you sold me is not working is crazy. Is HP trying to take advantage of me and get their new product sold. Almost sounds like a bait and swith manuever.
    I would have accepted a full suite of HP hardware, from a new desktop over a laptop and 64gb 4g Touchpad, complete with a Pre3 *AND* Stingray slab, delivered to my home and installed by a trio of professional swedish underwear models well-refreshed with only the best akvavit. That offer would have "made things right". THIS offer is an outrage! An... outrageous... OUTRAGE!!

Damn you, HP! First you fail to keep your promise of bringing a software update to all old phones and only bring it to a few old phones (Pre Plus) - and now you hope that $50 will be enough? Laughable! Up until a few days ago, 32GB was too little to be useful, but now that 32GB is cheaper for me, I'm only interested in 16GB in the first place because any more is useless!

I'm jumping ship to an Android handset, support of which is likely to be discontinued within a year, after which HTC relegates my update from 2.3 to 2.4 from "in the coming months" to "we're working on it" because I'm meant to buy the new phone instead of upgrading my old one. Or to Apple where my phone will become virtually unusable from every major OS update because I'm meant to buy the new phone instead of upgrading my old one.
    They don't offer me ANYTHING as an apology and expect me to pay full price on the new device, but that's cool.
    Why does everyone assume this is the fulfillment of the "making things right" promise that was made? I read my email and I don't see anything like that in the email.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Why does everyone assume this is the fulfillment of the "making things right" promise that was made? I read my email and I don't see anything like that in the email.
    Your 100% correct Unclevanya.

Then again I don't see a company like HP tell us when thats it. Unless they have some big ideas in the works. So if this is or is not it is to be for seen for the moment.
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    ...I'm jumping ship to an Android handset, support of which is likely to be discontinued within a year, after which HTC relegates my update from 2.3 to 2.4 from "in the coming months" to "we're working on it" because I'm meant to buy the new phone instead of upgrading my old one...
    You're making a really poor argument here. webOS was adding basic functionality (which was never even completed under webOS 1.4.x) while Android updates add either advanced functions or UI enhancements. The support of webOS devices in terms of updates has been WAY worse than Android and iOS at this point.

Side note, Google is requiring manufacturers and carriers to sign an 18 month update agreement starting with Ice Cream Sandwich. Once a device is released, the device MUST be supported with OS updates for at least 18 months.

Side, side note. HP likely makes more profit on a $550 TouchPad 32GB than a $500 TouchPad 16GB, and neither tablet is of any value as a phone replacement. If this would have been $50 off a Pre3 or $50 off a Veer, I doubt you'd hear much complaining.

I'm sorry we forgot part of your $25 dinner order. We promise we'll make it up to you! Just make a trip to our hotel, book a room that's at least $200/night, and we'll give you $10 off a nights stay!
    Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    Your 100% correct Unclevanya.

Then again I don't see a company like HP tell us when thats it. Unless they have some big ideas in the works. So if this is or is not it is to be for seen for the moment.
    From the link posted above:
    The Official HP Palm Blog: Early adopters: your new TouchPad just got $50 closer

June 28, 2011

Early adopters: your new TouchPad just got $50 closer

When the first webOS phone came out, a lot of you took a chance on our new platform. We appreciate your support -- as customers, as champions, and even occasionally as our most thoughtful critics -- and we’d like to make it just a little easier for you to experience the latest version of the power of HP webOS.

Through July 31, you can get a $50 rebate on the purchase of a new 32GB TouchPad. Proof of ownership of a Palm Pre, Pre Plus, Pixi, or Pixi Plus (initially in the US or Canada) will be required. This mail-in rebate is good wherever you buy your TouchPad, including preorders and reservations. (Watch your email inbox for details.)

And to help showcase how the TouchPad “works like nothing else,” HP is giving you a chance to win free TouchPads or one of several “prizes like nothing else” (everything from the chance to experience zero gravity or to ride with racing legend Mario Andretti). Check out the virtual TouchPad LaunchLine on Facebook here.

Jon Zilber
    This really, really, looks like some sort of "make it right" deal to me.
    I'm ok with the offer except for the severely limited time frame. Some people need more than a month (or two) to save up $500 or $600.
    I don't like the tone of the offer but a $50 rebate isn't bad. I was/am on the fence about buying a touchpad and this didn't do anything to change that. I still want a pre3 so I would have rather the offer applied to any HP webos product and was open at least a year so that the pre3 can be released and my phone contract can run it's course.
    HP can still come out with other offers on new products, but only allowing a month to use it is a business tactic to limit the number of people that can use it. It should have been an open rebate for legacy device users without expiration.
    emceesquared likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    I'd bet the email doesn't say more "making it right" is on the way either. It works both ways.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast