Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    in "the coming months" no less ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggyflyjoe View Post
    I had been meaning to come to this thread and ask if anything new on this had popped up yet or not as well but I see someone has beat me to it.

Nearly two months has passed since HP had that big announcement in February and still no word on what we legacy users are going to see happen. They really need to reconsider their timeframes... "coming weeks" and "coming months" are beyond eyeroll-worthy.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not sitting around anxiously awaiting anything mind-blowing to happen, but seriously. Give us a break.
    I hate to say it but did you honestly expect anything else? "coming weeks" and "coming months" is now just a laughing stock imho.
    now that veer is launching in the "coming weeks" maybe we can expect to hear something??
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    I hate to say it but did you honestly expect anything else? "coming weeks" and "coming months" is now just a laughing stock imho.
    Cool story brah, but are you also laughing at Apple's white iPhone having come out "in the coming months" for nearly a year now, or the Evo 3D's pinpoint shipping date of "summer 2011"? Or is it just ridiculous when HP doesn't have an immediate release?

I, too, hope that HP was serious about it because one major software update simply should be provided to a smartphone and the Pre missed its major update because the buyout first completely stopped everything in its tracks and then changed the destination of the train.
    Since HP said they'd make things right, I'm now holding them to that word... And I'd be sorely disappointed if nothing came of it. But I'm not surprised they haven't said any more on the matter since they haven't said any more about much anything, which is fine by me as long as they do say something when the time comes to announce actual market releases (as opposed to a general "HP's future is webOS and here's how it's gonna start" announcement like in february).

As Lord Andrew of W.K. quippeth long ago: "when the designated time for celebrations is upon us, we shall celebrate forcefully." The implication, of course, being that you can't simply party hard when it isn't time to party.
    HAHAHAHAHA Love the forceful celebrating!
    'tain't gonna happen.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    HP's "Making it Right"......"it" being phones, not "it" being retribution/compensation
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Here's the thing:
    PreCentral users were by far the most vocal about HPalm leaving us out in the cold in regards to an upgrade path to 2.x.

HPalm also knows that PreCentral users have devised a way to upgrade to 2.1, not only for Pre's but possibly for Pixi's as well (something they never promised).

Bottom line:
    I would rather they continue to support the WebOS Internals group and focus on getting their act together so that the poor communication that caused this issue doesn't happen in the future. But if they did make an goodwill gesture I wouldn't expect much nor would I care.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    not only for Pre's but possibly for Pixi's as well (something they never promised).
    Actually, yes they did. It was right on the pixi product page.

but Promise is a sketchy word i guess. they said "we'll update all products to 2.0" but i'm not sure they said "we promise we'll update all products..."
    Lets be clear about something:

Palm, even after being bought by HP, said that WebOS devices would always be updated to newer version, with new features that would take advantage of the hardware of those devices. That was up until recently.

They then indicated that older devices wouldnt be seeing WebOS updates beyond 1.45, and after hearing all of the complaints, they indicated that they are working on "alternative plans".

There were almost 3 milllion WebOS 1.xx users - I don't know how many are still around, but, if its only half, thats still a good amount of potential platform users and related business revenue to keep or lose; I would venture to say that HP will provide a variety of options from discounts/rebates towards fuutre WebOS devices to carrier-partnered upgrade deals for us to choose from, but, they can't say anything until the phones and the carriers are formally announced.

Additionally, I don't think that the Pre 2 will be a part of this at all, otherwise, they would have offered discount upgrades or rebates right away back in late February/March.

It's very important to get as many Pre 3/Veer and TouchPad sales on the books as possible to help establish WebOS's place in the mobile OS sector going forward...

I think some additional patience will be well rewarded.

IMO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Lol. They should change their slogan to "Patience Needed". That is what has been stated in the forums here since June 7, 2009 (maybe even January 2009). We are always waiting for HPalm to do the right thing by us. I was, for a very long time, one of the people who would tirelessly ask others in the forum to wait patiently for promised upgrades. I can't anymore and I havent been able to since the big announcement in Feb.

If you look at what HP is doing with webos and what Palm did, nothing has changed. They bring out devices and then not tell you when the products will release. Then we get little leaks about a date which is almost 6 months away from when we first see the device. What makes anyone believe that the touchpad will not have the same fate as the original pre (Announced 5 months before actual release - sound familiar).

So those holding their breath in anticipation of some kind of promise to make good on a broken promise, I would say be careful your more likely to asphyxiate before they make good.
    I think after all is said and done, the Pre has received great support from Palm. My previous phone, an LG Viewty, was left in the dark pretty quickly.
    Last edited by tehtorq; 04/20/2011 at 03:41 PM.
    IAmA reddit - same reddit, webOS' looks
    Incoming! - Keep one step ahead of life's little curveballs.
    Should have just stuck with my Apple Newton back in, oh... '97.

Bri
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Anybody else notice that the WebOS checker no longer provides any hope of anything. I have a Pre on Bell (Canada) and up until the weekend, I saw the (now) old re-assuring message that "we're working to make things right". Now, I simply get the message "Your current device: Palm Pre on Bell." That's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by etb View Post
    Anybody else notice that the WebOS checker no longer provides any hope of anything. I have a Pre on Bell (Canada) and up until the weekend, I saw the (now) old re-assuring message that "we're working to make things right". Now, I simply get the message "Your current device: Palm Pre on Bell." That's it.

Haha, just checked mine as well (Bell Canada). Same message....not cool!
    ?? What is the webOS checker you guys are talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    ?? What is the webOS checker you guys are talking about?
    http://www.palm.com/webos-info
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Go to ws.hpwebos.com/WebOsChecker and enter the first 5 digits of the serial number on your device (mine is P5Be0). It used to say ... we're working on it. Now? Not so much.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    My Palm Pre Plus still says:
    Your device is not able to support the new features of webOS 2.

Therefore, your device will not receive a webOS 2 update. The latest software version for your device is webOS 1.4.5.

We are working on alternative plans and will be sharing details in the coming weeks. Please come back to palm.com/webos-info to find out more.
    Quote Originally Posted by slusmiles View Post
    My Palm Pre Plus still says:
    Your device is not able to support the new features of webOS 2.

Therefore, your device will not receive a webOS 2 update. The latest software version for your device is webOS 1.4.5.

We are working on alternative plans and will be sharing details in the coming weeks. Please come back to palm.com/webos-info to find out more.
    Which carrier are you with? Maybe the Bell network is saying the new stuff because they aren't gonna deal with the new Pre's.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast