Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    I have noticed that when I have a full battery, my Sprint Pre Minus works acceptably with 2.1.

However, once it reaches the low 20% range or lower it can barely unlock (lagging by as much as 10 seconds) and I can get "Too Many Cards" with no cards launching or running at all.

This has lead me to believe that 2.1 has some kind of throttling of CPU that underclocks as the battery gets depleted.

If this observation or info is in another thread, please point me to it. The info is so fragmented it's not easy to track down such info.
    I had low batt yesterday and my pre was also lagging hardcore. IDK but there might be something going on here.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Are you guys using Uberkernel/Govnah? Once the battery reaches 25% the screenstate governor automatically clocks the CPU down to 500mhz (on default settings) no matter what your profile is, in order to save battery.
    If you load Govnah and the testing Uber-Kernel, you will see that the default Palm CPU profile has a Battery Low clock speed of 250MHz cutting in at 25% battery capacity. With Govnah you can define your own profile with a higher Battery Low clock speed. The Battery Low Threshhold percentage can also be set.

EDIT: In Govnah, select the PROFILE, then Advanced Settings, then CPU Frequency to see/change the parameters.
    Last edited by johncc; 03/05/2011 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Corrected to indicate the need for UK before changes are available.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    The default Palm CPU profile has a Battery Low clock speed of 250MHz cutting in at 25% battery capacity.
    This jives with what I have experienced/observed and would perfectly explain things. I guess the old OS (before 2.1) never really needed more resources than that. However, 2.1 makes the phone nearly unusable at that clock speed.

I used to run Uberkernel and Govnah before upgrading - I'll have to go about getting these installed on 2.1 now that it seems to -really- be necessary in order to keep the CPU at a freq that's sane for the load the OS puts on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    The default Palm CPU profile has a Battery Low clock speed of 250MHz cutting in at 25% battery capacity. You can load Govnah (even if you don't want to mess with kernels) and define your own profile with a higher Battery Low clock speed. The Battery Low Threshhold percentage can also be set. I'm fairly sure that I was able to make some changes without Uber-Kernel loaded.

EDIT: In Govnah, select the PROFILE, then Advanced Settings, then CPU Frequency to see/change the parameters.
    The Palm stock kernel having battery scaling is news to me ... sure you weren't running UberKernel?

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The Palm stock kernel having battery scaling is news to me ... sure you weren't running UberKernel?

-- Rod
    That's why I said fairly sure. Your question was no doubt rhetorical, but I reloaded the Palm Kernel anyway, and for the benefit of others, the only options are Governor userspace/ondemand and the ability to select Min Freq, Max Freq and Set Speed between 125MHz & 600MHz. I'll correct my previous post.
    Last edited by johncc; 03/05/2011 at 05:17 AM.