Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38
  1. wicketr's Avatar
    Posts
    232 Posts
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
       #1  
    I'm coming up on my 2 year anniversary with my Sprint Pre (first day buyer), and i'm starting to get antsy with buying a new phone. I've had a Palm phone since my Treo 480 and loved it. I would have considered myself a Palm evangelist until probably the last year. I thought Palm (and now HP), would have been more proactive with WebOS, and they haven't exactly lived up to the hype since January 09 when they first showed the Pre off.

    Several things that I feel are pushing me toward an Android.
    1. Ever since "upgrading" from the Treo 480, I've missed the homescreen notification of my Calendar Agenda. Meaning the next few appointments i had (could even see it from the lock screen). I can get this with the Agenda App, but i don't want a card sitting there. I need/want a widget just in the background that's always there. I want something like this: Pure Calendar widget (agenda) - Android app on AppBrain. The lack of widget support has really frustrated me, and I held out hope that WebOS 2.0 would have brought it.
    2. App selection. The app that I can say that I'm really wanting now in Fennec. Mainly because of the ability to install plugins like AdBlock Plus, and Stylish. Of course there are many other apps that are missing or have poor alternatives on WebOS.
    3. Much better Google Maps app.
    4. WebOS' sem-dying platform (regardless of what they say) that still doesn't seem to have much going for it. Where will it be in a year from now?
    5. Still only two phone options? Still no touchscreen keyboard? How can HTC make 6 phone styles a year, but HP can't? The lack of variety is severely limiting the user base and the lack of user base is limiting the apps which limits the usefulness of the phone, which limits the number of users even more.


    At HPalm's event, I had really hoped they had: Licensed their OS for distribution on Samsung and HTC devices in addition to their own for more form factors, thus bringing in more users. Keypadless and keypaded phone. Added widget support in the OS, so that more functional apps could be created. Demoed 10-15 new big-name apps from vendors.

    Where's UrbanSpoon?
    Where's Shazam?
    Where's Barcode Scanner?
    Where's Mint?
    Where's AudioRecorder?
    Where's GoogleGoggles?
    Where's Skyfire?
    Where's Hulu?
    Where's Word Lens?

    So now, I need a list of what I will miss of WebOS if i go the Android route? Of course there are the cards, but what else? I've got a few more months until my 2 year contract is up, but I've already got one foot out the door.
  2. #2  
    You will stay with webOS... you will stay with webOS... you will stay with webOS...




    OK.. in all seriousness... if you don't like the current software offering, try another phone. After all... that's all they are. BUT... before you sign a new contract, I would really encourage you to hang until the new hardware is actually released. HP has stated that they have a boot load of apps coming. We don't know exactly how many to start, or what they are... but it would worth checking out.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/03/2011 at 01:09 AM.
  3. #3  
    Leave if u can't wait, HPalm will have there act together by the end of the year or next year
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by m3grady2 View Post
    Leave if u can't wait, HPalm will have there act together by the end of the year or next year
    Agreed that they are still in the middle of the transition to HP ownership, there is simply not enough information ahead of the new device launches to be able to advise you appropriately. We will all just have to wait and see.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    You will stay with webOS... you will stay with webOS... you will stay with webOS...




    OK.. in all seriousness... if you don't like the current software offering, try another phone. After all... that's all they are. BUT... before you sign a new contract, I would really encourage you to hang until the new hardware is actually released. HP has stated that they have a boot load of apps coming. We don't know exactly how many to start, or what they are... but it would worth checking out.
    I am getting sleeepppy.......zzzzzzz
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/03/2011 at 01:10 AM. Reason: fixed quote
  6. #6  
    #1 - is supposed to be covered by Exhibition mode.

    #2 - HP says they're working with developers to bring more apps to the platform. If they are holding back some apps to debut with the new hardware is anyone's guess.

    #3 - I'm shocked, absolutely shocked, that Google Maps would have better support on a Google OS than a competitor's OS.

    #4 - if HP is true to their word, it will be on every PC that they ship.

    #5 - They have announced two new phones, but have said that there will be other form factors. IMHO, they are going after the business market occupied by their weakest competitor (RIM) rather than the 'dork with a genital compensator strapped to his belt' market.

    If you like Palm products (and don't have the patience of a bloody mayfly like many people on here), wait for the carrier announcements and then make your choice. Otherwise, just go buy an Android because it appears you've already made your mind up.
  7. #7  
    I say try another OS then come back when webOS is ready for prime time. I'm doing the same I'm getting a verizon iphone 4 for now, then switching back to webOS when a slab phone is released. I got a pixi plus over at dailysteals.com so I can use it wifi so I can keep my palm profile active. This way I can have the best of both!
  8. #8  
    What will you miss? Cards, the touchstone and the never ending wait for that apps you seem to want. You'll probably quickly get over cards and the touchstone. Can you get over not having the apps you've listed?
  9. #9  
    I agree. It couldn't hurt to give another phone a try while we're waiting for HP to get webOS on track. It may indeed take two years for you to see something from them that you find worthwhile.

    In the meantime, considering how much money a person pays for a cell phone every month, I'd say get your money's worth with something you like!
  10. wicketr's Avatar
    Posts
    232 Posts
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    #1 - is supposed to be covered by Exhibition mode.

    #2 - HP says they're working with developers to bring more apps to the platform. If they are holding back some apps to debut with the new hardware is anyone's guess.

    #3 - I'm shocked, absolutely shocked, that Google Maps would have better support on a Google OS than a competitor's OS.

    #4 - if HP is true to their word, it will be on every PC that they ship.

    #5 - They have announced two new phones, but have said that there will be other form factors. IMHO, they are going after the business market occupied by their weakest competitor (RIM) rather than the 'dork with a genital compensator strapped to his belt' market.

    If you like Palm products (and don't have the patience of a bloody mayfly like many people on here), wait for the carrier announcements and then make your choice. Otherwise, just go buy an Android because it appears you've already made your mind up.
    But will Exhibition mode be visible from anywhere but the Touchstone? From what little i've seen of it, it seems a little hoaky and tacked on, like multi-tasking on iOS.

    I will be waiting until June when my contract is up, so HP has a few more months to impress me with app selection. As for Google Maps, I can understand theirs being better on their own phone, but HP has to do something, right? Even if that means a Bing Maps instead. The current implementation is quite poopy.

    IMO, had they created 3-4 phones instead of two, they'd be in the game. Portrait Slider (Pre3), Landscape Slider, Onscreen Keyboard Only, and if they had enough extra time, the Veer. Plus, if they seem to be going for the business market as much as you say, then why the heck is the calendar without an agenda view (unless you're in exhibition mode, meaning next to your touchstone). Even the old Treos had this and visible from the Home and Lock screens. The Calendar/Agenda is key for business peeps.

    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    What will you miss? Cards, the touchstone and the never ending wait for that apps you seem to want. You'll probably quickly get over cards and the touchstone. Can you get over not having the apps you've listed?
    I never had a Touchstone with my original Pre because they didn't come with one and i wasn't going to pay $50 for one. But yea, the lack of cards will stink. I'm still not exactly sure how Android handles multi-tasking. The OS seems quite mysterious whenever i've played with one of those phones. Alot of things don't see intuitive. I remembered another thing last night that i'd miss of WebOS, and that's the non-intrusive notification system. That is quite nice. Wonder how Android compares in that area.

    But yea, it seems i may be stepping away from this community, which would be a shame. I just hope that it's still around in another 2 years when i'm looking at the Android 4 vs (hopefully) WebOS 4 phones.
  11. #11  
    I don't get all the fuss and preoccupation with OS/brand loyalty. Just get the phone/carrier combo that works out best for you in terms of price/service/features/reliability.

    If Palm/HP works best for you, then great. If not, go get something else that works best for you.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    ... if you don't like the current software offering, try another phone. After all... that's all they are.
    I hate when people say this.

    A phone is definitely NOT all they are anymore. These are basically computers that fit in your pocket.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 03/03/2011 at 11:12 AM.
  13. irateb's Avatar
    Posts
    257 Posts
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    I hate when people say this.

    A phone is definitely NOT all they are anymore. These are computers that fit in your pocket.
    So should the saying now be "Is that a computer in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

    But in reference to the OP, I agree with hrminer92 in that you've already made up your mind. There is some post around here to ease the transition from webOS to Android, I'm sure one of the Droid folks will post it for you shortly. With most of your issues, there is nothing that can be done except wait for "the coming weeks/months" or go to Android.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    But will Exhibition mode be visible from anywhere but the Touchstone? From what little i've seen of it, it seems a little hoaky and tacked on, like multi-tasking on iOS.
    From the demo videos that I've seen, the user can turn on Exhibition mode even when it is not on a touchstone.

    As for Google Maps, I can understand theirs being better on their own phone, but HP has to do something, right? Even if that means a Bing Maps instead. The current implementation is quite poopy.
    That's why BFG Maps was created.

    FWIW, a friend of mine went from a Pre to an Android when he broke his phone and the local Sprint stores didn't have any replacements. He hates it and wants to go back to webOS as soon as new devices are available.
    Last edited by hrminer92; 03/03/2011 at 01:02 PM.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    But will Exhibition mode be visible from anywhere but the Touchstone? From what little i've seen of it, it seems a little hoaky and tacked on, like multi-tasking on iOS..
    It can be started from the exhibition app in 2.1. It's actually quite nice with the agenda and integration with SportsLive!
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
  16. #16  
    I've never understood these "convince me to stay" posts. How can we convince you to stay? From the list of things you're looking for, it doesn't appear that waiting will fill your needs. However, the simple fact that you asked to be convinced indicates that there's something there that you want to stay for. You didn't indicate what it was.

    I'd say it's time for you to move on, and see what else is out there.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    ...snip...
    #4 - if HP is true to their word, it will be on every PC that they ship.
    ...snip...


    I can't believe you said that....true to their word? True to their word?!? Let me know when that happens...

    ROFLMAO
  18. #18  
    OP, sorry, I couldn't go past that "true to their word" comment...

    Are you going to be Premier Gold? If so, I think the decision is an easy one. In a year, you should have an answer to a lot of your questions. Either HP will make webOS rebound and it will be a growing fighting platform in a year or it will still be floundering.

    I finally switched because I gave up waiting, and waiting, and waiting only to hear it would be summer before there was a potential for anything being available.

    Even if you have to wait 22 months, it won't be that bad. If you have to wait the 22 months I would wait to see what Sprint comes out with at CTIA -- it may be a dual core HTC phone and if you have to wait 22 months it might be worth waiting until June to move to that.
  19. #19  
    Skyfire? Surely you can't be serious.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    I don't get all the fuss and preoccupation with OS/brand loyalty. Just get the phone/carrier combo that works out best for you in terms of price/service/features/reliability.

    If Palm/HP works best for you, then great. If not, go get something else that works best for you.
    people invest time and money in the os. its a smartphone not a dumbphone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions