Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    I hate when people say this.

    A phone is definitely NOT all they are anymore. These are basically computers that fit in your pocket.
    Aw.. didn't mean to upset you ... What's meant is that life goes on... hardware changes... it isn't a unique device that can't be replaced. It's a phone with many designs and UI's available. Yes they contain more computing power than rooms of computers in the 60's, but the world doesn't stop turning if someone tries a new device. It isn't a dialysis machine, or a pacemaker... it's a phone (albeit with strong computing powers).
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    BUT... before you sign a new contract, I would really encourage you to hang until the new hardware is actually released. HP has stated that they have a boot load of apps coming. We don't know exactly how many to start, or what they are... but it would worth checking out.
    And not to mention HP has also stated that they will make it right to CURRENT palm users.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    Skyfire? Surely you can't be serious.
    He is.

    And
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 03/03/2011 at 07:15 PM.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    You will stay with webOS... you will stay with webOS... you will stay with webOS...




    OK.. in all seriousness... if you don't like the current software offering, try another phone. After all... that's all they are. BUT... before you sign a new contract, I would really encourage you to hang until the new hardware is actually released. HP has stated that they have a boot load of apps coming. We don't know exactly how many to start, or what they are... but it would worth checking out.
    Whoa guys, if you look at that really carefully the clock hands move! But you have to focus on it for like at least a minute.
  5. #25  
    Personally i find the Android UI to be clunky and inefficient.

    No one on this thread has mentioned the fact that customizing webos is a snap thanks to preware and all the homebrew out there. To get many of the same tweaks on an Android device, or an iphone, or WinPhone you'd have to root it. Not impossible by any means, but why bother when webOS makes it so easy?

    My advice: Go for a 1 year contract on something like the DroidX, or droid pro (which are inexpensive by now), and by the time you're up for renewal HP will have released several new pieces of hardware and you'll realize how much webOS dominates.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    Personally i find the Android UI to be clunky and inefficient.

    No one on this thread has mentioned the fact that customizing webos is a snap thanks to preware and all the homebrew out there. To get many of the same tweaks on an Android device, or an iphone, or WinPhone you'd have to root it. Not impossible by any means, but why bother when webOS makes it so easy?
    You have to root Android, iOS and winmo just to get a functional OSK? Arguably, the most basic of smartphone tools?

    Have you ever tried to type with your Pre in landscape? Did the screen even rotate to landscape when you needed it to? There are alot of apps that it doesn't even have the smarts or ability to do that with.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 03/03/2011 at 08:19 PM.
  7. #27  
    we dont need to convince you . do what you want !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    we dont need to convince you . do what you want !
    LOL. That's the best advice so far!!
  9. wicketr's Avatar
    Posts
    232 Posts
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
       #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I've never understood these "convince me to stay" posts. How can we convince you to stay? From the list of things you're looking for, it doesn't appear that waiting will fill your needs. However, the simple fact that you asked to be convinced indicates that there's something there that you want to stay for. You didn't indicate what it was.

    I'd say it's time for you to move on, and see what else is out there.
    I obviously mentioned the things that i'm craving that my Pre does not have. What i'm wondering is if/when i switch to Android, what am i going to be missing the most from webOS?

    I obviously have the "grass is greener on the other side" frame of mind right now, but i'm realizing that Android won't be 100% of everything i want. There will be things i'll miss. I'm trying to figure what those things are. Obviously, the cards and excellent multi-tasking. The non-intrusive notifications? Synergy maybe?

    I'm figuring people on here have either tried out Android, or switched from Android. What else does webOS do well, that the Android doesn't?
  10. #30  
    you will miss the multitasking the most ! thats it or the simple to use OS or the beautiful UI interface , or maybe the hombrew community or even the homebrew apps and patches . i dont know maybe something !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  11. #31  
    I find the Android notifications to be far less intrusive than the ones on webOS, actually.

    Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    I obviously mentioned the things that i'm craving that my Pre does not have. What i'm wondering is if/when i switch to Android, what am i going to be missing the most from webOS?

    I obviously have the "grass is greener on the other side" frame of mind right now, but i'm realizing that Android won't be 100% of everything i want. There will be things i'll miss. I'm trying to figure what those things are. Obviously, the cards and excellent multi-tasking. The non-intrusive notifications? Synergy maybe?

    I'm figuring people on here have either tried out Android, or switched from Android. What else does webOS do well, that the Android doesn't?
    I missed the cards most. I have gotten over this in 2 weeks of use and finding widgets to replace the need for most cards. (ie. mobile hotspot, twitter, Podcast, music, grooveshark, Bluetooth to BT headset, weather all in widget form)

    I still like using my wifi pre but all the short comings (ones that will NEVER be fixed) are just too much to bear.

    I missed the touchstone but I have gotten over it since I don't have to charge my phone until the end of the day now.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    No one on this thread has mentioned the fact that customizing webos is a snap thanks to preware and all the homebrew out there. To get many of the same tweaks on an Android device...
    But Android has a Preware app as well. It's call the "Android Market".

    You can customize Android to your hearts content without rooting. You simply install a new app. Don't like the browser? Choose another. Don't like the keyboard? Choose another. Don't like the SMS app? Choose another. Don't like the email app? Choose another. Don't like the launcher? Choose another. The list goes on and on and at the very end of it is another list that is initiated by rooting. The vast majority of users get all the customizations they need long before rooting becomes a consideration.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    But Android has a Preware app as well. It's call the "Android Market".

    You can customize Android to your hearts content without rooting. You simply install a new app. Don't like the browser? Choose another. Don't like the keyboard? Choose another. Don't like the SMS app? Choose another. Don't like the email app? Choose another. Don't like the launcher? Choose another. The list goes on and on and at the very end of it is another list that is initiated by rooting. The vast majority of users get all the customizations they need long before rooting becomes a consideration.
    I have to agree, I've not had to root mine to get the stuff I want and need.

    Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    But Android has a Preware app as well. It's call the "Android Market".

    You can customize Android to your hearts content without rooting. You simply install a new app. Don't like the browser? Choose another. Don't like the keyboard? Choose another. Don't like the SMS app? Choose another. Don't like the email app? Choose another. Don't like the launcher? Choose another. The list goes on and on and at the very end of it is another list that is initiated by rooting. The vast majority of users get all the customizations they need long before rooting becomes a consideration.
    Exactly.
  16. #36  
    A webOS forum whose regulars sometimes seem to consist of 40% webOS users and 60% Android users who have made it their crusade to convert the Palm heathens to the one, true, holy operating system may not be able to convince anyone to get anything except a new android phone. Or an old android phone, since people are still singing the evo's praises (presumably because nobody wants to advocate carrying around a laptop dock that does screw-all when your phone isn't plugged in and requires an extra data plan).

    That said, if you need convincing to stay with webOS, you should switch away at your earliest convenience. Go with what you like most, not with what fanatics on the internet are telling you you must like most if you don't want to run the risk of not being cool like them. Go to your phone store, use an Android, use an iPhone, use a Nokia N8. See which user interface you like most. You'll never use 200.000 apps, you'll probably never download more than 50. You WILL however interact with your phones user interface all day, every day. If you hate webOS, ebay your Pre, get a new phone and enjoy life
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    A webOS forum whose regulars sometimes seem to consist of 40% webOS users and 60% Android users who have made it their crusade to convert the Palm heathens to the one, true, holy operating system may not be able to convince anyone to get anything except a new android phone. Or an old android phone, since people are still singing the evo's praises (presumably because nobody wants to advocate carrying around a laptop dock that does screw-all when your phone isn't plugged in and requires an extra data plan).

    That said, if you need convincing to stay with webOS, you should switch away at your earliest convenience. Go with what you like most, not with what fanatics on the internet are telling you you must like most if you don't want to run the risk of not being cool like them. Go to your phone store, use an Android, use an iPhone, use a Nokia N8. See which user interface you like most. You'll never use 200.000 apps, you'll probably never download more than 50. You WILL however interact with your phones user interface all day, every day. If you hate webOS, ebay your Pre, get a new phone and enjoy life
    I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. People really need to have a mind of their own.
  18. #38  
    With that that said, I think all bases have been covered.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions