Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    good things come to those who have patience
    as we know, not always.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    it is quite frustrating to purchase the newest device and watch older devices be upgraded first. I am not complaining, and I am happy for those who are able to upgrade, however it is still frustrating.
    I couldn't agree with you more!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    My guess is this month. Patience.
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one with trouble syncing with Google on Webos 2.0.1 / Pre2.

To share my experience:
    1: It appears to be 'one-way' only (G-to-Pre is OK), Changes made on Pre never sync back to G.
    2: The "custom" labels in Google contacts no longer Sync in 2.0.1 (i.e. replacing 'work' with the custom label 'hotline' shows up on the device as 'other'). Worked fine in 1.4.5
    3: Total fail: I added/sync'd a second google account (1500 records) and removed it about 36 hrs later only to have hundreds of 'orphan' records that were on the device not associated with any account. L2 support directed me to do a device reset.

FIXED in 2.0.1 Google Contacts:
    "Notes" attached to contacts no longer show markup tags in the 'contact view' (vs the 'edit' view). This bug first appeared in WebOS 1.4.5.
    The Skype client is only on the VERIZON Pre2 because the software simply makes a REGULAR PHONE CALL to a Skype "media gateway" back at Verizon.

It works better than "mobile VoIP", but naturally depends upon facilities at Verizon. The Verizon Skype client is NOT a VoIP client / useragent like you might assume.

The Unlocked Pre2 has no Skype client because it requires active carrier participation. Having said that, I can make skype calls from my Unlocked Pre2 using Skype for Asterisk.
    Last edited by kfife; 03/03/2011 at 04:45 PM. Reason: no title
    Quote Originally Posted by kfife View Post
    The Skype client is only on the VERIZON Pre2 because the software simply makes a REGULAR PHONE CALL to a Skype "media gateway" back at Verizon.

It works better than "mobile VoIP", but naturally depends upon facilities at Verizon. The Verizon Skype client is NOT a VoIP client / useragent like you might assume.

The Unlocked Pre2 has no Skype client because it requires active carrier participation. Having said that, I can make skype calls from my Unlocked Pre2 using Skype for Asterisk.
    Thank you I didn't know that... mobile Voip would be great over Wifi and whatever...just like on the iphone at least...
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kfife View Post
    Hm, could you please elaborate on this? Googled Skype for Asterisk, seems to be something you use with a dedicated phone switchboard of some sort?
    Skype for Asterisk awesome, but not for the faint-of-heart:

Asterisk is an (AMAZING AND) free open source telephony toolkit that runs on Linux. It is commonly used to build PBX's and switching platforms. It's strength is that it's free, runs on cheap hardware, and speaks EVERY telephony language from ANALOG, ISDN, SIP, SKYPE, H323, XMPP, on and on and on. Not just voice but instant messaging and Video too. With Asterisk you can build practically any communication solution you can conceive of.

With Skype for Asterisk, you could create for yourself something like a private version of the infrastructure that exists at Verizon. (i.e. a Cellular call to your asterisk switch, bridged to a SFA call to your Skype contact).

Asterisk is free, but the Skype for Asterisk 'channel driver' requires that you pay a small per-channel license fee to Skype because although Asterisk is free, the Skype plug-in is owned by Skype, and is neither free nor open source.

FYI: there are more servers in the world running Asterisk than ALL of the servers at Google and Facebook combined.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12