1.    #1  
    After an exciting 2.1 upgrade, I'm mising my music. Really, I started the stock Music app (which looks identical to the 1.4.5 version), and it only finds 18 songs out of 89. When I plug my Pre into my PC, all files are there.

But then, I connect through novaterm, list the "/media/internal" directory and... It's empty?!
  2.    #2  
    Erm... "/media/internal" contents reappeared after a reset.

No, they are gone again. Remember, only some files acknowledged by the Music app, while "ls /media/internal" shows none, and everything looks fine through the PC. Wow!
    When upgrading to 2.1 from 1.4.5, the doctor wiped my USB partition. I think the Wiki tells you to back it up first just in case.

Edit: Glad it appeared again. Personally, I find the media indexer to be slower than in 1.4.5, so it takes a while to read all the files. I have 950 songs, and I could open up the music app and see the number rise from 65, to 200, and so on until it read them all.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  4.    #4  
    Oh, thanks, but they are gone again. It seems there's something funky in my Pre's filesystem now. How on earth can it be that everything IS THERE, but only when seen in USB mode?
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Oh, thanks, but they are gone again. It seems there's something funky in my Pre's filesystem now. How on earth can it be that everything IS THERE, but only when seen in USB mode?
    Sounds funky to me. What does empty mean?
    What gives:
    Code:
    ls -la /media/internal
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Sounds funky to me
    Indeed, VERY funky. Remember, all files are there through USB mode!

What does empty mean? What gives:
    Code:
    ls -la /media/internal
    Erm... This is very erratic. I swear I saw the "ls /media/internal" command return absolutely nothing. Now, it returns everything, hidden things included. If I get into the "music" directory, and execute this:

Code:
    find -name '*.mp3'
    All my music pops up. But still, the Music app only sees eighteen songs. Perhaps they have some special attribute? Remember, this didn't happen yesterday, on WebOS 1.4.5...

Now, I enable again the USB mode, while still connected through NovaTerm. A simple "ls" command in the "/media/internal" directory yields a "Input/output error". If I go back to root directory, and list again the "media/internal" directory, it shows nothing. Makes sense, though.

While still connected, I eject the "E:" mass storage device on my PC, try again, and the "/media/internal" content shows up again. Perhaps all this is normal.

But again, why does the Music app only see a subset of all my music files?
    Try to create a new sub-folder on /media/internal and move the music files there (delete them from the original location afterwards). After disconnecting your device from your computer, wait a few minutes then see if the music files show up.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Try to create a new sub-folder on /media/internal and move the music files there (delete them from the original location afterwards).
    Thankyou very much, Dan. I was thinking about installing your great Remix app to check, by the way.

I've just done somethig similar, tell me if I have to do it exactly some other way: I did it on Windows, created a new "music2" folder, an moved everything from "music". The problem persists.

After disconnecting your device from your computer, wait a few minutes then see if the music files show up.
    Hum... Wait a few minutes. Interesting. So there's some kind of indexing service running in WebOS, and I should check if it works properly?

What if I delete completely the "music" folder, create it again, and copy all files over again? Would it be adviseable to do so from console, or USB mode is enough?
    I made a patch that enables Media Sync for WebOS 2.x if you're interested.

Only downside is that it seems playlists are not recognized.

If anyone wants to help me get playlists working, I'm sure thousands of people would love it.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

10. SashoDikov
    if you have hidden or folders staring with "." and music in them webos won't index them to appear in your music app
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    I made a patch that enables Media Sync for WebOS 2.x if you're interested.
    Oh, thanks. Where can I find more information about it? Currently, my habits with music don't include using a sync program. What I do is update the ID3 tags in my collection, and them just copy the files over with this:

Code:
    XCOPY "%USERPROFILE%\My documentos\My music" E:\music /D /E /I /Y
    Guess what? After a couple of hours, now 52 songs pop up! Perhaps, as DanPLC hinted, there might be an indexing process over the filesystem, that slowly acknowledges each song...

Quote Originally Posted by SashoDikov
    if you have hidden or folders staring with "." and music in them webos won't index them to appear in your music app
    Nice tip. But there's not a single file or folder starting with a dot, which I knew was de Unix way of hiding.

Anyway, I've wiped the whole "music" (and "music2") directory:

Code:
    rm -r /media/internal/music
    And now I'm pumping again nearly a gigabyte of music to a freshly created "/media/internal/music" directory.
    Just to clarify - during the upgrade from 1.4.5 to 2.1 your USB partition was wiped out right? If so did you restore these files to /media/internal and then they became flakey?
    This is the link for my patch.

Media Sync just masqs the pre so the computer thinks it's an iPod. This way you are able to sync your pre in iTunes 9.0.1 or earlier (doesn't work on any versions after that). Also works with a number of other programs.. like MediaMonkey, J River Media Center, Double Twist.. basically anything that syncs an iPod.

But like I said if you have custom playlists they won't show up in Music Player right now. Hopefully someone who knows how the music .db is built will stumble upon my thread and help me out. It could be a simple fix, or it may not even be possible. But for now this is an easy way to synchronize a library.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    During the upgrade from 1.4.5 to 2.1 your USB partition was wiped out right?
    Nope. Thankyou for your patience, as this is driving me me nuts. Rememeber, yesterday, after a couple of hours away, suddenly the Music app found 52 files instead of 18 (?!).

After that, I wiped out the folder completely (through console), recreated it, put files there and... Zero files in Music app. Fourteen hours later, it keeps empty.

Do you see something strange in this?

Code:
    ls -l /media/internal
    drwxrwxrwx    3 root     root         32768 Jan  5 11:55 DCIM
    -rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        297373 Mar  1 23:38 Open Source Information.pdf
    dr-xr-xr-x    3 root     root         32768 Feb 19 16:45 RECYCLER
    -rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           296 Feb 21 18:14 WMPInfo.xml
    drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root         32768 Mar  1 23:41 downloads
    -rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Sep 14  2009 mountcfs.log
    drwxrwxrwx   16 root     root         32768 Mar  1 14:52 music
    drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root         32768 Jan  5 11:53 ringtones
    drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root         32768 Sep 19  2009 save_log
    drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root         32768 Feb  4 21:49 screencaptures
    drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root         32768 Jan 12 22:42 wallpapers
    -rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        180840 Feb  1 11:14 webos-patches.log
    What do you think about "music" permissions? And what does that "16" mean? Remember, I recreated the folder yesterday, don't know the original details about it.

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06
    Media Sync just masqs the pre so the computer thinks it's an iPod.
    Oh, that's a brilliant idea! Perhaps I'll take a look later.
    Hum... Wait a few minutes. Interesting. So there's some kind of indexing service running in WebOS, and I should check if it works properly?

What if I delete completely the "music" folder, create it again, and copy all files over again? Would it be adviseable to do so from console, or USB mode is enough?
    If you did that and the music is still not showing up, then something may be wrong with the media indexer on your device. If the media indexer is running properly, then any change in files (moving them, adding new ones, deleting ones) should be picked up by the indexer.

The media indexer in webOS 2.x is slower than the one in 1.4.5. But it shouldn't take hours for it to update. It should only take a few minutes.

I'd say try to doctor the phone again if it's not too much of a pain. If you do doctor, try deleting all your music files beforehand. Then once the doctor is complete, connect your device in "USB Drive" mode and copy them over to /media/internal/music. Then stop your USB device in your computer's operating system (in Windows there will be a little green icon in the notification area). After properly stopping the device, disconnect it from your computer. Then wait a few minutes before loading the music app.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Just to clarify - during the upgrade from 1.4.5 to 2.1 your USB partition was wiped out right? If so did you restore these files to /media/internal and then they became flakey?
    Nope. Thankyou for your patience, as this is driving me me nuts. Rememeber, yesterday, after a couple of hours away, suddenly the Music app found 52 files instead of 18 (?!).
    I'm confused. I thought that the 2.1 upgrade was supposed to wipe out the USB partition. Can anyone else comment on this? If it wasn't wiped out - and it was resized is that the problem?

EDIT - I was wrong I saw in the 2.1 Metadoctor thread that the only time the USB partition is wiped is during a redoctor back to 1.4.5 from 2.1 - I also saw that the OP was asking about this issue there.

Personally I think I would doctor back to 1.4.5 and then without putting the files back (USB wiped) I would MetaDcctor back to 2.1 and then try copying the files back to the media partition.
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 03/02/2011 at 08:47 AM.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    If you did that and the music is still not showing up, then something may be wrong with the media indexer on your device.
    Sweeeet! So a media indexing service indeed exists. Where can I get more information about it? What's its process name? Does it leave any log anywhere? Can it be stopped and restarted on demand?

The media indexer in webOS 2.x is slower than the one in 1.4.5. But it shouldn't take hours for it to update. It should only take a few minutes.
    Anyway, I've waited many hours with no result: My media collection remains empty. Can it be that some malformed MP3 file made the indexer go ****? I had to clean up every ID3 tag, as WebOS only understands version 2.4, and not mixed with anything else.

See, having my music on 1.4.5 was so smooth... What a pity.

I'd say try to doctor the phone again if it's not too much of a pain.
    As time goes by, I'm considering this more and more. I don't like to surrender in front of a computer, but this looks like a dead end. And I've only spent a day and a half on 2.1!

If you do doctor, try deleting all your music files beforehand. Then once the doctor is complete, connect your device in "USB Drive" mode and copy them over to /media/internal/music
    That sounds sensible.

Then stop your USB device in your computer's operating system. After properly stopping the device, disconnect it from your computer. Then wait a few minutes before loading the music app.
    So perhaps the media indexer stops itself while the USB cable is plugged? That could make sense: I have my Pre here permanently connected to my computer, though not in USB mode... But it stayed disconnected the whole yesterday night.
  18.    #18  
    Guess what? I've enabled USB mode, copied a single MP3, ejected the "E:" device on my PC, and immediately the already running Music app acknowledges the song!

I'll add some more, one by one. A second song, all fine, added. A subfolder, fine. A whole folder with several songs, added. What the hell, does the media indexing service only work while the Music app is running?

So everything is just fine now? ***?! I'm very sorry for losing your time folks, I'm happy while completely puzzled!

By the way, I've narrowed down a threesome of MP3 files that are not recognized by the Pre, and what's more, somehow nuke the indexing service, because if copied, no other additional files are indexed! There has to be something strange inside them, because renamig them wasn't enough. These came from "Intergalactic mashups" by "Neblina sound" (some amazing mashups of Beastie Boys!)

I'm completely sure I had enjoyed these very same MP3 files ni WebOS 1.4.5. So I'd say the indexing service of 2.1 is more picky. Well, at least, if it had problems with certain files, it could at least warn about it!

The only thing I realized is the ID3 tags inside the MP3 files: They seem to be ignored if they aren't "ID3 v2.4" version. The great "MP3Tag" software did the trick, and actually, I use it as my main music library administration tool.
    Last edited by jcmarcos; 04/25/2011 at 06:04 AM.