Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I'm sure that the Pre3, Veer, and the TouchPad will do very well, but induldge me for a moment. What if they flop? May it be no consumer interest, bugs, bad marketing, or something like an iPhone 5 announcement (Damn you Apple). Would HP give webOS another go? Abandon the platform? Stop selling phones and use a subpar version on a printer or PC app? What do you think?
    ii at first you don't succeed, try, try sgsin.
    WebOS will never flop while I'm still standing lol LOOT

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-ḶĝĜṫ-ŦḯĜη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I don't think the touchpad will flop. Maybe Veer and Pre 3, but the touchpad is honestly a solid product that goes head to head to all competition. I don't think the iPad 2 will be better -- but we'll see this week won't we?
    They will have to adjust their strategy and bring a real überphone to the market. Simple as that.

But they had all the time now to develop applications the right way and study what the market wants and where bottlenegs might be...
    When webOS flops. HP will merge with RIM and dump webOS for BlackBerry QNX. They will use the BlackBerry name on Laptops, Netbooks, Tablets, Phones, MP3s, and some desktops to compete with the other the fruit (Apple). They will hire Esteban Trabajos Jr as CEO and make a gazillion dollars a year...
    Last edited by Rainforrest; 02/27/2011 at 11:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Juize View Post
    They will have to adjust their strategy and bring a real überphone to the market. Simple as that.
    Um, excuse me? The Pre 3 is a power device. What more do you want from them?

Quote Originally Posted by Rainforrest View Post
    When webOS flops. HP will merge with RIM and dump webOS for BlackBerry QNX. They will use the BlackBerry name on Laptops, Netbooks, Tablets, Phones, MP3s, and some desktops to compete with the other the fruit (Apple). The will hire Esteban Trabajos Jr as CEO and make a gazillion dollars a year...
    I don't think HP would dumb WebOS for QNX. It be more QNX will get their hands on with WebOS along with Palm Global Unit, and work together and a better product.

But that would never happen. And I don't think WebOS will fail.
    Hp has invested too much to allow webOS to "flop". They may decide that smart phones aren't worth it and abandon them. But hp has too much riding on this to abandon anything related to webOS for right now. You may have seen what missing their wall street estimates did to their stock price? Imagine what would happen if they said that billion dollar investment in Palm was completely worthless.
    a) HP will try to sell it
    b) HP will jump to Android vagon, and try to somehow blend in webos
    c) HP will burry webos deep inside printer user interface and some other consumer products
    Who knows...actually...I suspect if webOS does fail...anything is possible...HP will merge webOS into Android and give that platform some polish that Motorola and HTC just have not been able to do with their front-end interfaces.

To be honest, I'm hoping HP is VERY Successful since I hate Java programming wise and moving to Android as a development platform would be like moving back to ASP .net to web development. HTML 5 is hear to stay and I'm looking for bigger and better days from this and other open standards that have less overhead compared to to before mentioned Java offerings. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Its just a what if thread... It doesnt have to be the logical move
    Current: Palm Pre 2
    History: [Palm] Pre Plus - [IOS] iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G - [Blackberry] Pearl 8120, Storm 9530, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 - [WP7] HTC HD7S - [WM] HTC Fuze - [Android] HTC Aria
    If webOS flops the Chinese will rule the world and our phones will be a state required version of Androidski named after a russian hack that reports all privacy to the central authorities...

Freedom as we know it will end and dogs and cats will live in peace without humans.
    An uberphone....Because the Pre 3 is out spec'd by a LOT of devices already, not to mention how many more devices it will be weaker than by the time it is released in the coming months...
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Like I said it before - If HP can't get developers on board, no matter how good device is, it will fail
    What if the world ends in destruction in Dec. of 2012, I guess it won't matter then anyways.
    Something thats not a pre
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    An uberphone....Because the Pre 3 is out spec'd by a LOT of devices already, not to mention how many more devices it will be weaker than by the time it is released in the coming months...
    I don't agree. It's specs are definitely top-tier. The challenge will be to get it shipped before it gets out spec'd.

And for those saying it's not a "superphone", 5 minutes using it will change your mind. I guaranty it. Give it a few minutes in real life (assuming we haven't all died of boredom yet) before declaring it DOA.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalex View Post
    Like I said it before - If HP can't get developers on board, no matter how good device is, it will fail
    Very logical statement. Without developers it can be the most polished and clean os out there and will still not succeed. Not the worst idea if they work with android to start getting .apk working on webos. I would definitely consider coming back if the app market SIGNIFICANTLY grew.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Technically speaking, if you value success by market share - and if you look at present and future trends - WebOS already HAS flopped as a smartphone - and as a smartphone ecosystem.

The question is not what if WebOS flops....the real question should be: can HP - with its many billions of dollars - and it's ability to market, distribute and sell product - somehow revive a dormant smartphone OS?

In the past, HP has been great at selling good printers - and cheap PC's - to businesses. It knows how to do that.

In terms of sellling new or innovative products, HP is behind the curve - not quite as bad as Microsoft's recent slide into technological mediocrity, but not great.

The optimistic point of view is that Leo Aptheker's multiple comments - about how Apple products are cool and HP products are not - signal a fundamental shift in both thinking, corporate strategy and future plans...

I'm cautiously optimistic. But in real-world terms, WebOS is a wonderful system....which has flopped.

The best metaphor and parallel is with Apple and NEXT. Steve Jobs left Apple and founded NEXT which invented a superior and cool OS which was better in most respects than most of Apple's previous but by-then outmoded OS's. Next was a total failure in the marketplace and could never gain toehold or acceptance - but years later, Apple purchased it - and used most of the innovations in the NEXT OS as the basis for their new and ultimately much much more successful OS X software.

IF HP can do the same with WebOS....it would be, to use Leo Apetheker's words, very "cool".

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
    If you put billions of dollars into an investment would you just drop it like that? NO!!
    WebOS will never just "flop" and die because, as history has already shown, the Pre and the Pixi were the world's biggest failure of a launch and if there are still hundreds of people on these forums still there will only be more in the future. Oh, and you can add in there that WebOS is the best OS to date...
    And! As long as I am here there will always be at least 1 WebOS user alive! Will never die!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast