Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuffo View Post
    but induldge me for a moment. What if they flop?
    • Fund another go round and try to ride out low sales.
    • license it. but by then Android and maybe WP7 may be the licensed platforms with too much momentum to overcome.
    • Switch to Android. If it has the users and they can make money they could easily just make android tablets and phones.
    • Sell the WebOS and or Palm division.
    • Focus on Enterprises solutions, storage, and services. I've heard their board and CEO speak of these being a major priority anyways. And except for one interview and the feb 9th announcement HP execs on tv haven't mentioned webos. Which tells me that thought smart phone guys may think it's the most important thing for HP ever, HP is thinking of it's bottom line and that best case scenario webos is only a small part of a much larger whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    Umm... are you aware of exactly HOW powerful HP is?
    I'm in the IT world since 1982, probably I know something about HP.

Keep in mind who are the "enemies" here.

We are not speaking about Acer, Lenovo or Toshiba, we are speaking about Apple, Google, Microsoft, Nokia and also intel, and samsung.
    -------------------------------------------------

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Siemens ME45 > S55 > SL55
    Motorola 6200 > C333 > C350 > V547 > E1000 > A1000
    Nokia 7110 > 6230 > 6630 > 6230i> E60 > N80
    Panasonic G500 > GD90 > VS3
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 750V
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    An uberphone....Because the Pre 3 is out spec'd by a LOT of devices already, not to mention how many more devices it will be weaker than by the time it is released in the coming months...
    What phones already outspec the Pre 3? Can you tell me them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    Depends on what specs are important to you. There are already a number of higher resolution phones (e.g. iPhone 5, Atrix, Droid Bionic), and two of those have significantly bigger screens as well.

There are plenty of phones with higher spec'd cameras or bigger batteries. The Samsung Galaxy 2 has double the RAM and records in full 1080p.

But I think other phones also will be more competitive with "specs" like carriers and a slab form factor that seems to appeal a lot more to mainstream consumers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    They are dozens, but the point is not about specs.

The iphone 1 was a succes and was a stone age phone on the spec side.

The specs of pre 3 are more than sufficient, and the veer is overpowered, but mobile phones are not PC what you buy is not (just) HW.

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    Quote Originally Posted by The Solutor View Post
    They are dozens, but the point is not about specs.

The iphone 1 was a succes and was a stone age phone on the spec side.

The specs of pre 3 are more than sufficient, and the veer is overpowered, but mobile phones are not PC what you buy is not (just) HW.
    Iphone 1 wasn't a stone age phone when it was first released. And it had full web browser, except flash. I don't even know how many smartphone at the time had full browser. And it started the smartphone revolution. I am sure you can argue that all the tech were available from other company but Apple managed to put the perfect product, they nailed it.

We seem to banking on how much money HP has. But like many people pointed out, that is not guarantee the success. I still believe HP doesn't really care so much about smartphone market, they are more interested on tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Iphone 1 wasn't a stone age phone when it was first released.
    The iphone 1, with most of its features, was not on par with a p800 which was 5 years older smarphone.

Was simply marketed better and on the marketing side Apple is light-years ahead others.

Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    Actually, betamax/vcr, bluray/hd dvd are quite bad examples and has no comparison in the smartphone industry.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kneeland View Post
    It's not just adoption; it's about APPS.
    I believe it is a very good analogy. Anyone who lived through that can remember going into your local video store and seeing two four foot shelves with the movies that were on BetaMaz and the 200 shelves that had VHS movies.

No matter how superior it was to view a movie on BetaMax, you were extremely limited on your choices for what to watch.

The comparison to APPS is exactly the same. You can choose webOS today, and have access to 5000 apps, or you can choose Android and have access to 150,000 apps (or whatever the number is today), or iOS and have 300,000 apps (again, or whatever there really is).

So, the analogy is very apt, by picking webOS you are picking a platform for which there is a very small number of choices for it. It very well be technically superior, but just because you're the best doesn't mean you will win.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I tend to agree. I think that HP sees the smart phone (and market) as a peripheral device that compliments the tablet pc and what users can do with the tablet experience. HP wants webos to succeed but, first and foremost, in the tablet market. Success in the smart phone market will add to the tablet experience (tap to share, etc.)
    I used to believe in HP
    Quote Originally Posted by sj4231 View Post
    I tend to agree. I think that HP sees the smart phone (and market) as a peripheral device that compliments the tablet pc and what users can do with the tablet experience. HP wants webos to succeed but, first and foremost, in the tablet market. Success in the smart phone market will add to the tablet experience (tap to share, etc.)
    tap to share was pretty cool. However, I don't really think this feature will help selling the device. I accepted my Pre Plus for what it is. Yeah, it's lack of tons of great apps, but atleast I can use it for hotspot for free, although all my friend's android and iphone do it for free as well. And it's a phone, primary task, making call works.

But tablet is whole different story. When I first got my ipad when it was came out, I was very dissappointed. lack of apps, and I really had nothing to do. First few days were cool, expensive toy. But without good apps, it was just laying down on the desk and collecting the dust, until it starts to have good apps. Now, it definately replaced my netbook. I go everywhere with my ipad and I really enjoy it alot. It's not because of the features that included on iPad, it's all because of the useful apps that I can actually use on different situations.
    HP will keep WebOS, but partner with Moto to build phones and pads. HP will use what's left as an embedded and desktop OS.
    If it doesn't get the App support, it will flop. Webos needs to get Apps like Android and Apple. If it doesn't people will continue to choose them over Webos. Webos is great, but everyday people want the Apps and dependability.
    NOT Possible.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I've seen a little more apps rising in the app catalog but hardly enough to justify a successful app catalog. I mean even blackberrys app world is pulling ahead. HP should push developers to make more apps, but not with little contests, with real incentive. Like we need to break ground and start realeasing useful and garbage apps. Because even though having tons of useful apps are very good, when people hear this phone has 100,000 apps, it doesn't matter how many soundboards and fart apps there are. They will be interested simply because of the large number.
    when people hear this phone has 100,000 apps, it doesn't matter how many soundboards and fart apps there are. They will be interested simply because of the large number.
    But even when the phone has not 100000 apps you have to look to the kind of that apps.

I think that maemo has still less than 1000 apps in its repository.

But you can find a decent navigation sw, you can find opera mobile, firefox mobile and other browsers you can find a lot of useful system utilities and so on.

The apps are (say) 1000 but some 400 are good apps.

Webos, on the other hand has a lot more apps, but they are ugly, no navigation sw, no decent browsers, no filemangers (!), no flashlight sw, no decent mediaplayer and so on.

Webos doesnt need 100000 apps it need just the 30/40 apps needed to do... well "something" with the phone.

Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    tap to share was pretty cool. However, I don't really think this feature will help selling the device. I accepted my Pre Plus for what it is. Yeah, it's lack of tons of great apps, but atleast I can use it for hotspot for free, although all my friend's android and iphone do it for free as well. And it's a phone, primary task, making call works.

But tablet is whole different story. When I first got my ipad when it was came out, I was very dissappointed. lack of apps, and I really had nothing to do. First few days were cool, expensive toy. But without good apps, it was just laying down on the desk and collecting the dust, until it starts to have good apps. Now, it definately replaced my netbook. I go everywhere with my ipad and I really enjoy it alot. It's not because of the features that included on iPad, it's all because of the useful apps that I can actually use on different situations.
    Tap to share won't be one of the main selling features of the tablet but it adds to the total tablet experience and that is what HP is selling. My point is that HP is into Webos for computer success first but smart phone compatibility add to both the entertainment and enterprise markets.
    I used to believe in HP
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Tap to share sounds awesome but I agree it's not the selling point to webos products. It's cool but people first want a phone that makes them go wow!
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    The problem with Palm being owned by HP is that --- every 2-3 years, HP dreams of becoming an IBM'esque type of high margin consulting business. Which means every 2-3 years, they question themselves on whether to even be in the business of selling pc's and laptops (let alone smartphones and tablets).
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Many of the webos fans here on precentral...
    I guess you're calling webOS the equivalent of a sports team. Maybe that would explain their fierce loyalty or whatever.

Anyway, most webOS users won't give a crap if webOS fails because it will be so dramatically inferior to Android, iOS, Blackberry, and maybe even WP7 that nobody will want to keep using it anyway. If HP can't get user base on board, the developers will not come. If there aren't any developers, you don't get any apps and the phone becomes a really nicely polished brick compared to its peers.
    Tap to share sounds awesome but I agree it's not the selling point to webos products. It's cool but people first want a phone that makes them go wow!
    My main problem with the Tap to share is that you have to purchase TWO devices to make use of this. How many people are sitting with powerful smartphones that say "I have no need to a tablet, I have the /insert phone name/"?

I know I am and a lot of others are too. Now, if that "Tap to share" worked with my laptop, then that could be awesome. But I don't think there will be a rush of people purchasing both a Pre3 and a TouchPad. Yes, I know a lot of people around these parts will, but you are not the average consumer!!

And sure, you can say all you want about HP pushing this at the enterprise level, but remember they have already pushed their laptops in at that level too. So now, you are asking an enterprise company who may be distributing HP laptops to also push out Pre3's and TouchPad's to their employees. You go from one device to three! And if they are going to push that the TouchPad can replace the laptop too, then they are biting off their own hand to help the other.

HP has backed themselves into a corner, it will be interesting to see how they get out of it.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast