1.    #1  
    Bottom line.. Webos kicks my Android Htc Evo's **** as far as useability.. I'm probably switching back when the Pre 3 is available. I've gotta have a justin.tv app and a slingplayer app and a winamp app(for shoutcast)..... are there for webos yet? I've done a bit of research .. but not finding any..
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    I won't be buying an Evo but joining the android family.
    I'm curious what you mean by useability? Is it the swipe from app to app? I tried androids at best buy and they seemed very responsive. It's true I didnt know my way around android so it did feel clunky but it would only be a matter of time getting used to.
    I've no problem using mine. I find it very easy and responsive.

As to those apps, not yet, as far as I know.

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    OP.. those aren't out for webOS yet. But... HP has hinted at app development going into high gear for the next few months, so who knows what the future has. Not being overly optimistic (too far into this device to think everything is rainbow) but I would be very surprised if webOS didn't have a lot of those apps this year (if HP truly is planning on a huge app push). We shall see.... but no one knows anything right now unfortunately.
    I agree the app situation really sucks. No orb, no sling, I can't even lsiten to all the stations I did with my treo. Shows how much things have changed, they used to respect palm but no more.

Having said that, I have used my friends evo quite a bit, but I still prefer my pre minus. Iphone too
    Seems like everything associated with webos is a never ending wait.
  7.    #7  
    yeah.. from day one with my pre on release day a couple years ago it was a wait for apps.. first the promise of flash which never happened to the rumors of a sling app on the way... I switched to the EVO and it's great but the feel and intuiveness of webos really owns android or ios.. If they can possibly get the apps out I think the tablet and the pre3 could take some serious market share.. if not take over. Bottom line is everyone I know who fiddled with my Palm pre really liked it... there only questions were.. where's the Netflix/sling/etc... apps?
    I think HP saw that webOS is exactly what you guys see... and after spending 1.2B on buying it, dropping several million to get apps springboarded should be a no-brainer
    Quote Originally Posted by tri0xinn View Post
    Bottom line.. Webos kicks my Android Htc Evo's **** as far as useability.. I'm probably switching back when the Pre 3 is available. I've gotta have a justin.tv app and a slingplayer app and a winamp app(for shoutcast)..... are there for webos yet? I've done a bit of research .. but not finding any..
    There's no sling player or justin.tv (no idea what that is. ) but there are several shoutcast streaming apps and the Radio Time app has almost every station imaginable except the Clear Channel ones that are restricted to Sirius.
    There are many stations that use some kinda windows media format that the pre doesn't support. So even if radio time or any other stream service cataloged the stream it can't be played. I was able to play everything with kinoma because they had the formats built in, but they are not interested in building an app for lowly webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    I won't be buying an Evo but joining the android family.
    I'm curious what you mean by useability? Is it the swipe from app to app? I tried androids at best buy and they seemed very responsive. It's true I didnt know my way around android so it did feel clunky but it would only be a matter of time getting used to.
    Webos has a cooler interface. The usability is due to webos cards and the ease of switching from one app to another. Apart from that, android gingerbread 2.3 or froyo 2.2 on the Evo blows webos out of the water based on speed (only because im comparing to my last plastic crappy plam pre), apps (believe it or not, apps make the phone very fun and more bearable) and enterprise integration. The screen size is just want i need and the battery life is alot better than my pres battery life. GPS is spectacular, bluetooth sync is available and ready to use whenever. Most importantly of all, it doesnt take 5 minutes to power on. Then again, if a new webos phone fixes all these issues, yes, including screen size, then i would be switching back to webos because its so easy to use. Thats what makes alot of people gravitate towards the iphone because of the ease and the apps. Im sure ****, jane and tracey can careless about the gps or if the phone has enterprise email integration.

Sent From My CM 7 Nightly #7 (Mixer theme) Monster Evo.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Seems like everything associated with webos is a never ending wait.
    you are very near sighted to say everything is always a wait with webOS . How long did you wait for those apps on android ?? You didn't did you . Because you never heard of them . It works the same with cars volvo benz audi all of them come up with the fancy stuff and then later ford chevy dodge start adding them into their cars when it becomes a viable accessory . And cost efficient as well. Webos is very very new to the game still and won't get some apps you want and will get some that you wish you always had . Just relaxe and wait if those apps don't come out, well something will come out that's as good or better I'm positively sure !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tri0xinn View Post
    --Android user wanting to come back to Webos--

I'm very sorry, but, once you leave webOS you cannot come back, ever.

very sorry, but you should have read the "fine print".

"no webOS, for you!"

now, I think I'll read the thread... ;-)
    Last edited by ToddK; 02/26/2011 at 10:04 AM. Reason: wondering if anyone will get "The Soup ****" reference? ;-)
    lol that's funny !!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I too really just enjoy the webOS interface (along with synergy and "just type"). I'm sure I'd do fine with another phone, but the way webOS ties so many elements together in a seamless fashion is just fantastic.

I think a lot of people who went to android did so either for hardware or apps, not so much for the OS. I'm not a big app guy, so I can't really address that. But I do know we are only a few months away from rock solid, utting edge software. WebOS is gonna rock my Pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    you are very near sighted to say everything is always a wait with webOS . How long did you wait for those apps on android ?? You didn't did you . Because you never heard of them . It works the same with cars volvo benz audi all of them come up with the fancy stuff and then later ford chevy dodge start adding them into their cars when it becomes a viable accessory . And cost efficient as well. Webos is very very new to the game still and won't get some apps you want and will get some that you wish you always had . Just relaxe and wait if those apps don't come out, well something will come out that's as good or better I'm positively sure !!
    Glad you admit that Android is the "volvo benz audi" and webOS is the "ford chevy dodge" in this context. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Glad you admit that Android is the "volvo benz audi" and webOS is the "ford chevy dodge" in this context. :P
    volvo benz and audio were nothing at one time and well the stealth bomber (webOS) didnt exist until just a few years ago either .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    I also jumped to the Evo shortly after it launched. While I truly love the huge app selection and increased versatility that comes with that, I can't stand the Android user experience. From a UI standpoint, Android is to webOS as Windows 95 is to OSX. IMO.

I've had the Evo since August, and I sometimes still fumble around inside the UI, so distracted by button-tapping that I forget what I wanted to do in the first place! No amount of launcher modifications seem to help. Seems I was forever corrupted by webOS.

As for the hardware: having a large screen is nice. The durability is great. The compass is a big boon to Google Maps. The camera is absolutely brilliant. But the hardware is a bore, visually, and the battery life is atrocious.

In sum, OP - I'm in the same boat you are. Desperately desirous of returning to webOS for my primary phone, but not until the apps are up to par.
    Week 2 on my Evo so far. I love so many things about it - the big screen, the widgets, the available apps. I love finally having Kindle on my phone. The combined facebook/twitter widgets are nice. I love the way you can customize everything, and I'm a big fan of customizing.

But I'm definitely missing several things from the Pre, especially the elegant multitasking. Sure, Android runs multiple apps, but it's just more painful than it used to be. I hate not being able to control my music from a notification bar. I hate the fact that I'm in Pandora and I plug in my headphones, and it starts playing from PowerAmp instead. I hate the fact that Google Nav stops playback to speak instead of lowering the volume. I'm starting to get used to holding down the home button, but it's still rather long in the tooth compared to just swiping back and forth. I have to have shortcuts everywhere for what I do most frequently because I can't just keep them open and swipe to them like I used to. I hate that sometimes contacts don't sync with FB properly so I have to manually link them to their equivalents. Voice input is nifty but still more gimmicky than useful at this point, at least in my experience.

At this point I think I will come back to webOS. But if/when I do, it will be to a phone with truly lustworthy hardware that will make the switch worthwhile.