Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Because of the great work done by webOS internals I'm considering to upgrade my Pre- to 2.1. But I have to be sure I keep some essential functionality.

So maybe we can use this thread to list what 1.4.5 apps, functionality, "homebrow hacking" doesn't work on 2.1. I'm intentionally leaving out patches as I know none of them work and some new patches are already starting to appear.

So does the following work on webOS 2.1 (Pre-):
    - Internalz and the access to the complete filesystem (not just /media/internal). I read somewhere this doesn't work on 2.1. Correct or not?
    - SFTP. I transfer files between my PCs and Pre via SFTP over WiFi. I would really like to be able to continue to do that. No problemr if I have to generate new keyfiles.
    - I assume developer mode is still there to hook up WOQI and install Preware?
    - Is there a webOS 2.x app/service (homebrew or not) that allows me to use the LED as flashlight?

Thx for the replies!
    Internalz etc is in closed beta till the NDA is released. But the applications are ready.

SFTP, I see no reason why this wouldn't work on webOS 2.x.

WOSQI functions fine, and so does preware on 2.x devices.

Again the NDA for the 2.x beta needs to be lifted, but the apps are made and ready.

And if you ask, overclocking will come, just waiting on that good ole nda and source.
    I think they mentioned that if you turn your Pre- into a Pre 2, the kernel used to overclock to 1.4GHz will be available, since you're essentially running a Pre 2 with a kernel that was released a while ago.

But for Pre- running metadoctored 2.1, overclocking will not be available.

You will be stuck with 3x icons in the launcher. (not patchable anymore)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    But for Pre- running metadoctored 2.1, overclocking will not be available.
    Yet...
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
    Is it possible to revert back to 1.4.5 after the 2.1 update?
  7. OrR
    Yes, but you might lose your Palm Profile or some data in it.

What I miss most in 2.1 is the Terminal app. What good is a Linux box without commandline access?! I am so used to being able to restart the mediathingy process when it hangs after watching too many videos. Now I have to reboot the phone. Also, it doesn't look like there is a quick fix for this. It could be quite a lot of work to get the app up and running again.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    You will be stuck with 3x icons in the launcher. (not patchable anymore)
    I'm sorry but 3 icons per launcher page after having the 4x4 for the longest time just won't cut it for me... That is the biggest issue I have with the 2.X updates or else my pre- would have new life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Srycantthnk View Post
    I'm sorry but 3 icons per launcher page after having the 4x4 for the longest time just won't cut it for me... That is the biggest issue I have with the 2.X updates or else my pre- would have new life.
    3 icons per row, but I agree with the sentiments.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Come to think of it, will Internalz still be free? I've got a Pre activated outside paid apps territory.
    Any app that sends or pulls data from the calendar will not be able to do so. This includes:

Agenda
    Pronto Dial (and other dialers)
    Flixster
    Fandango
    YPmobile

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    There is no overclocking available for a Pre2 that was converted from Pre/Pre+. However, you can install Govnah and bump it up to 600 which helps. Of course, things are slower if you have been overclocking. However, the hardest thing for me is that you must move the unlock button up about an inch or more, whereas in 1.4.5, you could just move it slightly.

But, with voicedialing in WebOS2, you can activate it with your phone screen off by holding down a volume button. That's cool.
    What kind of apps would you be using that require you to overclock a Pre2? Lol
    also, I am testing internalz as well as the LED flashlight app, and I can attest to the fact that they are both 100% ready for when the NDAs are lifted.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    3 icons per row, but I agree with the sentiments.
    umm you wont get anything other than 3x3 icons in 2.x.x unless someone can figure out how to change the hard code in the new OS
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    What kind of apps would you be using that require you to overclock a Pre2? Lol
    also, I am testing internalz as well as the LED flashlight app, and I can attest to the fact that they are both 100% ready for when the NDAs are lifted.
    The OP is asking about when you use meta-doctor to make your Pre/Pre+ a Pre 2 by upgrading the WebOS to 2.1.
  16. OrR
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Any app that sends or pulls data from the calendar will not be able to do so. This includes:

Agenda
    Pronto Dial (and other dialers)
    Flixster
    Fandango
    YPmobile

Yeah, this is a problem. The best German app, Bahnfahren, is also affected. Now I can't add my train trips to the calender anymore. Anyone know why this breaks and how to fix it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    umm you wont get anything other than 3x3 icons in 2.x.x unless someone can figure out how to change the hard code in the new OS
    What about Launcher pages? Is there still just the 3 or did they add the option of making more?
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    What about Launcher pages? Is there still just the 3 or did they add the option of making more?
    You can add more than three and rename them. Idk what the limit is, but I have 9.

screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by OrR View Post
    Yes, but you might lose your Palm Profile or some data in it.

What I miss most in 2.1 is the Terminal app. What good is a Linux box without commandline access?! I am so used to being able to restart the mediathingy process when it hangs after watching too many videos. Now I have to reboot the phone. Also, it doesn't look like there is a quick fix for this. It could be quite a lot of work to get the app up and running again.
    Not as elegant maybe, but JSTop can terminate processes no problemo.

Not positive that it works on 2.1 yet, but soon no doubt.
    I agree with you completely but the idea is to "Just Type".
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast