Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    added. Sorry to get in the way of your development. I'm simply trying to make this breakthrough more accessible.
  2. 27
    Hello,
    I'm on O2 UK.
    If I install this, do I need to create a new profile?
    can't wait to try this when I get home
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by 27 View Post
    Hello,
    I'm on O2 UK.
    If I install this, do I need to create a new profile?
    No, but if you want to have the option of going back to 1.4.5 or are unsure that the doctor worked properly it is a good idea.
  5. 27
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    No, but if you want to have the option of going back to 1.4.5 or are unsure that the doctor worked properly it is a good idea.
    I was under the impression that my old profile would no longer work.
    I wouldn't go back to 1.4.5.
    added. Sorry to get in the way of your development. I'm simply trying to make this breakthrough more accessible.
    I don't doubt your good intentions. Unfortunately, your choice of doing so in a separate document attached to a forum post that only one person can edit means that it will often be out of date and in conflict with the official instructions on the community-maintained wiki page. It also means that you will end up taking on the burden of support in this thread separately from the many community members sharing that burden in the official thread.

Improving the accessibility of the official wiki page would have been a far more impactful and coordinated way of making your much appreciated contribution to the community in this area.

You can still choose to do so ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Will there be a guide on the wiki or here that will have this procedure for people using MS Windows-based machines?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
  8.    #28  
    there is one on the wiki. Check the meta-doctor page.
  9. 27
    The wiki says
    "From the meta-doctor directory, run the meta-script that corresponds to your advice."

I have a Pre+ on O2. Which script do I use? I can't find a listing.
    When the HP webOS Doctor starts as per the instructions the Palm webOS Drivers Installer runs and then fails towards the end of the install. Anyone out there have a solution?

Code:
    WARNING: Unable to connect to NovaCOMd -- is it running???
    java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
    	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
    	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:333)
    	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:195)
    	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:182)
    	at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:432)
    	at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:525)
    	at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:475)
    	at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:372)
    	at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:186)
    	at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomController.getDeviceList(NovacomController.java:41)
    	at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomController.getDeviceListOnUsb(NovacomController.java:55)
    	at com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscoveryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread.run(DeviceDiscoveryRunner.java:63)
    Hi!

I was wondering if upgrading a Pre "minus" to 2.1 was worth the try, as I've read in some posts that 2.1 is not recommended with only 256MB RAM.

Those of you who own a Pre- and have upgraded, how does it perform compared with 1.4.5 -both with the same settings (f.i. both with ST 500-1000)-??

TIA
    Is there a solution of those of us running Vista?

Thanks,

Len
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    You might want to add this snippet. When I tried to run my first port install, I got the error:

"sudo: port: command not found"

I fixed this by adding these lines to my .profile (found in your home directory)

export PATH=$PATH:/opt/local/bin
    export MANPATH=$MANPATH:/opt/local/share/man
    export INFOPATH=$INFOPATH:/opt/local/share/info

After adding these lines, issue this one:

source .profile

Also issue this one:

sudo port -d selfupdate
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by modemjunkie View Post
    Is there a solution of those of us running Vista?

Thanks,

Len
    As posted in the original post, this is a simplification of the guide on the official wiki page for Mac OS 10.6 users. If you want to know about how to install on Vista, try this and this.

Quote Originally Posted by theduder View Post
    You might want to add this snippet. When I tried to run my first port install, I got the error:

I fixed this by adding these lines to my .profile (found in your home directory)

source .profile

Also issue this one:

sudo port -d selfupdate
    Hm, I didn't have to do that step and this is my first try installing any Linux material. Where did you have to apply that?

Quote Originally Posted by 27 View Post
    The wiki says
    "From the meta-doctor directory, run the meta-script that corresponds to your advice."

I have a Pre+ on O2. Which script do I use? I can't find a listing.
    Go into your home folder/meta-doctor/scripts to find a listing of scripts available, then run the one that you need.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Really Nice job!

A few points.
    "commands:
    --
    cd opt/nova/bin
    ./novaterm
    novacom run file://usr/sbin/rootfs_open -t
    novacom put file://etc/palm-build-info < palm-build-info-unmasqed
    novacom run file://sbin/reboot"

For that piece above, I thought you needed to be in the meta-doctor directory but am not sure?

2. Can we get a process for those people who don't have carriers so need to log into wireless for their profile after they follow the instructions above? There seems to be some comments about copying the wireless profile to the computer and then back again to the freshly doctored Pre but am not sure. There are instructions in the meta-doctor but I believe those are ignored in the current script so are not included in the metadoctors we make for this project.

3. Where are memos stored and how can we back them up?
    Thanks!
    I issued the first command from the CLI of the phone itself. The second one wouldn't work with the "<" so I tried it without the "<", essentially moving the existing palm-build-info to the new filename.

Is that incorrect? The prompt hasn't returned and it has been too long I think...
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Phone is up and running, but I have a question:

Should the version show up in the Device Info? Right now it is blank. Does that mean I didn't do the masquerade part right? I have backups disabled at the moment.

I have successfully accessed the App Catalog.

Palm Profile is blank too in the Device Info screen.

Sprint Nav is gone too...
    Phone is up and running, but I have a question:

Should the version show up in the Device Info? Right now it is blank. Does that mean I didn't do the masquerade part right? I have backups disabled at the moment.

I have successfully accessed the App Catalog.

Palm Profile is blank too in the Device Info screen.

Sprint Nav is gone too...
    You really should read the official wiki page for this procedure, before looking at a simplified version.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You really should read the official wiki page for this procedure, before looking at a simplified version.

-- Rod
    Fair enough. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Hm, I didn't have to do that step and this is my first try installing any Linux material. Where did you have to apply that?
    In my .profile - like I said. It might not be necessary in all cases, but if others get that error like I did that will fix it.

source .profile

Also issue this one:

sudo port -d selfupdate
    A correct installation of MacPorts does those things automatically.

-- Rod
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast