1.    #1  
    So I already have an HP Touchsmart tablet PC (convertible) running Windows 7. I use it for taking notes with my patients, then whip the screen around to convert to laptop for all my computing needs. Yeah, it doesn't run webOS, and doesn't have the touch-to-share feature, but it is more suited to my work than the Touchpad (easier to write reports with a real keyboard). So, if I am honest, the touchpad would really be nothing more than a toy for me. Maybe I could convince the wife to have one for the house to use as a Kindle reader, etc. But really I can't justify it since I have the Touchsmart tablet.

Because of this, I really am much more excited (and impatient for) the Pre3. I have a VZW Pre Plus, and while great, I want the bigger screen, better keyboard, and webOS 2.x features. I can wait on the Touchpad, but not the Pre3. Anyone else feel the same as me?
    Same here, but for different reasons.

1) my pre minus isn't cutting it anymore. Really want a bigger screen, and faster cpu/more ram/auto focus camera. The bigger keyboard is also welcomed.

2) I'm a studen't and don't have much money.

3) I need a laptop with a real keyboard since I'm a student. a convertible running windows+webos would be great, but not sure if i'd be willing to pay.

4) I try to avoid first generation devices. (gave into that rule with the pre minus, but hope I can wait a year for gen 2)
    I think I want them both equally. I do soo much on my phone that I would rather do on a device with a much larger screen.

I don't think my pre's battery life would be an issue anymore if I had a touchpad, because i'd be taking it out a lot less.

Infact, I think that if think that having a touchpad would make the wait for the Pre3 a little easier for me.
  4.    #4  
    I already have a touchscreen device that has all my apps needed for my office and work, so Touchpad COULDN'T serve as my work tablet since apps I need are not made for webOS. Yet. So at least for now it would be nothing more than a playtoy for me, as much as I want one.
    I actually am looking forward to getting both.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I agree with you - I'm more excited about getting a "better" Pre phone. I still have trouble envisioning how I'd use a tablet other than surfing on the couch, which I already do on my phone just fine.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    But doesn't the TouchPad with the announced Bluetooth keyboard provide the functionality you need? Or did I misunderstand your requirements?
    I'll take the Pre3 first. My Pre minus is on its last leg.

The Touchpad is something that I will be looking into after it is released but the no video/HDMI out might be a deal breaker for me. I might just stay without a tablet.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by richip View Post
    But doesn't the TouchPad with the announced Bluetooth keyboard provide the functionality you need? Or did I misunderstand your requirements?
    It's not really a portable option. Carrying around and using a bluetooth keyboard with a tablet is cumbersome when you also need to have some way to prop up the tablet. The keyboard reall is more of a complement to the Touchstone dock and meant more as a "desktop" solution.

If you wanted to get the same portability options with the TouchPad as he gets with his TouchSmart you'd need something like what ZAGG made for the iPad, the ZAGGmate with a builtin bluetooth keyboard, a stand to prop up the pad, and it's easy to make portable when not in use.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by richip View Post
    Yes that would work, but inconvenient to carry multiple pieces of hardware around. It's why I switched to a convertible tablet from a slate tablet a few years ago. Plus, again, there are some apps that simply aren't available yet on webOS.
    Dreaming of a convertible here too. Three devices is too much, and hp has plenty experience making them.