Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WyreNut View Post
    I just saw this happen on my Pre2... Voice dial killed all my system sounds. Music still plays. Rebooting the phone corrects the problem.

Contacting my HPalm connections now.

WyreNut
    Ok so I'm not crazy Was beginning to think this was an issue only with mete builds on pre/preplus even though that couldn't be possible.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Ok so I'm not crazy
    Well, maybe...

But not concerning this though. Voice Dial (as it exists right now) really is a POS.

Actually, I removed the last little bits that I had originally left behind yesterday (in case I changed my mind). My battery drain has gone noticeably down.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Actually, I removed the last little bits that I had originally left behind yesterday (in case I changed my mind). My battery drain has gone noticeably down.

M.
    May I ask how to remove? Or disable??
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    That's already been done by others. The answer is "Yes, we know it's broken. It'll be fixed in the coming months with the release of the Pre3".
    M.
    Curious, could you tell me who gave that reply, or provide a link to a thread?

WyreNut
    Pre2/3/TouchPad, and TouchDroid user.
    VoiceDialing works great on my Meta VZW Pre+. To everyone loosing system sounds, have you tried disabling the VoiceDial app while the screen is locked option? I read somewhere this helped some of the people experiencing system sounds issues.
    In mean time, how about a bounty for the dev that releases a homebrew app that uses the terminal fix to restore system audio.

#!/bin/sh
    stop pulseaudio
    sleep 2
    start pulseaudio

I have to imagine that at first its fun using xterm to input this code but considering how often it happens this will get annoying over time too update is released. Haven't really explored if this is feasible with webos 2 yet...
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Hey guys I am new to the palm pre, living in Canada and on the Bell network, my pre has webos 1.4.5 installed and according to the update icon in the apps page it's up to date. There is no voice command or voice dial icon so I am assuming it has not been developed for my version Pre, if anyone has any suggestion regarding installing voice dial feature I would really appreciate it, my previous Palm device (Treo Pro) had this option and I have spent considerable money installing bluetooth compatible devices into my work van to comply with the hands free laws here in Canada, thanks and any info is appreciated.
    Really can't believe such a sophisticated device is missing such a critical feature, I am really impressed with the Pre however missing this feature makes it unusable for me.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jfl1960 View Post
    Hey guys I am new to the palm pre, living in Canada and on the Bell network, my pre has webos 1.4.5 installed and according to the update icon in the apps page it's up to date. There is no voice command or voice dial icon so I am assuming it has not been developed for my version Pre, if anyone has any suggestion regarding installing voice dial feature I would really appreciate it, my previous Palm device (Treo Pro) had this option and I have spent considerable money installing bluetooth compatible devices into my work van to comply with the hands free laws here in Canada, thanks and any info is appreciated.
    Really can't believe such a sophisticated device is missing such a critical feature, I am really impressed with the Pre however missing this feature makes it unusable for me.
    Voice Dial is not and will not be available to WebOS 1.4.5 ... It's only for WebOS 2.1 and above ...
    also there is no OTA update for ur Pre to WebOS 2.1 ... The only way to upgrade is to meta-doctor ur Pre .. To find how there is a post in furum you can find it easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfl1960 View Post

I'm not sure where to start...

You're just first now getting a Pre? What Pre is it? If it not a Pre2, then I haven't a clue why you got it. It's obsolete, unsupported, and in turn End Of Lifed.

That said, Voice Dial is not a part of webOS 1.4.5, it's only in 2.*. To go any further with this, you need to say what Pre you have. webOS2.* is not officially available for anything older than the Pre2 on this side of the pond. A couple European carriers were able to let their Pre+ users have it. There's "ways" to get our older phones up to webOS 2.1, though. Voice Dial is a P.O.S. and barely works. If you're only reason to go to webOS2.1 on an OLDER phone is for Voice Dial, I suggest you re-activate your Treo...

M.

M.
    Doesn't say much other than Palm on back case, how would I identify if it were a Pre2. Can't believe a phone that is less than a year old is outdated and obsolete (phone was sent to customer from Bell Mobility in Canada sometime in June 2010). And thanks for the info on voicedial, still cannot believe it wasn't a standard feature on such a sophisticated phone.

A friend had it as part of a contract upgrade and basically found it too much for her, she deactivated it sometime in Sept or Oct 2010 and went back to her regular phone and let it sit in a drawer for the last 5 or 6 months so I ended up with it. I told her how much I loved my previous Palm products and how they outperformed everything else I had tried, she basically laughed and call this a POS and told me to have at it. Now I will have to go back and admit to her that it is in fact a POS for the features I really need, the reality of it is that without these basic features I and many others will not explore the true potential of this product, it's a real shame since Palm has had some nice devices over the years.
    Quote Originally Posted by amjz View Post
    Voice Dial is not and will not be available to WebOS 1.4.5 ... It's only for WebOS 2.1 and above ...
    also there is no OTA update for ur Pre to WebOS 2.1 ... The only way to upgrade is to meta-doctor ur Pre .. To find how there is a post in furum you can find it easily.
    Thanks for the reply, I am quickly losing interest in this device, nothing is simple to setup and I have been told it's obsolete, which boggles my mind but is indeed true in the Mobile device world. I think I will dump it on the local buy and sell market and move back to my Plam Treo Pro, man that phone has taken some abuse and still does everything I need it to do..
    I would like to remove voicedial functionality on a sprint pre plus. Does anybody know how to do this through terminal or any other method?
    Quote Originally Posted by FidelitySyndrom View Post
    I would like to remove voicedial functionality on a sprint pre plus. Does anybody know how to do this through terminal or any other method?
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    If you've got novacom installed, pop open a terminal and write this:

novacom -t open tty://
    mount -o remount,rw /
    ipkg remove pmvoicecommand
    rm -r /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.sysapp.voicedial/
    mount -o remount,ro /
    reboot
    Worked like a charm!
    Hi all, this is just to log that also my PRE2 EU Unlocked with officially updated to WebOS 2.1 (through WebOS Doctor) is affected by the Voice Dial bug: Voice Dial hanging and killing the system sounds.
    Hey!

For those that want to disable Voice Dial, but may be a bit hesitant on actually uninstalling every bit of it (there's more to it than just the main service listed above), you can simply disable it from starting:

Quote Originally Posted by novacom
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.systemservice/setPreferences '{"enableVoiceCommand":false}'
    Should disable the service from even starting at boot time.

Boot log before:
    LunaSysService: getPreferences(): resultMap: [enableVoiceCommand] -> [---, length 4]

Boot log after:
    LunaSysService: getPreferences(): resultMap: [enableVoiceCommand] -> [---, length 5]

You see that the length of the value in that key changed ("true" --> "false"). You can always check it on your system:

luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.systemservice/getPreferences '{"keys":["enableVoiceCommand"]}'

Even after I had ripped out EVERY piece of VoiceDial, it was still set to start at boot time. It's now completely disabled.

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 04/12/2011 at 10:53 AM. Reason: typo
    Hi there,
    if it can be of any help, in the meanwhile i have raised a live chat with Palm Support and i have been able to solve this issue with Voice Dial by using the "Erase applications and data" feature of the phone as suggested by the tech. support; of course i was not able to restore some homebrew apps and patches, even though the patches are still installed on the kernel because i can see their functionalities still active on the phone, but this is a completely different topic to investigate afterwards.

However, I don't think the above was somewhat related to the issue, rather i can remember an action i've carried out when i launched Voice Dial the first time.

I did not complete the "training" session proposed by Voice Dial the first time you use it and canceled it; while this time i have waited until the end of training session before starting to use Voice Dial.

I think, there should be some task carried out the first time Voice Dial is launched that couldn't be performed when i interrupted the training, hence it probably skipped some important configuration needed to run Voice Dial successfully.

My 2 cents worth..

Ciao.
    Hey!

Just typed this up. Don't know if it helps people any:

How To Remove VoiceDial - WebOS Internals

M.
    Just curious, but are there advantages or disadvantages to only disable voice dial at boot?

I'm fine with the commands, but just curious why i should remove it now that it is disabled.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    Just curious, but are there advantages or disadvantages to only disable voice dial at boot?

I'm fine with the commands, but just curious why i should remove it now that it is disabled.

So the system can load *NO* part of it. Somethings still get loaded and wastes precious RAM (especially in the Pre-). The codecs, things like that. Only disabling it at boot time stops the damn thing from popping up whenever it feels like it because the service that watches the Volume Up Button (and whatever else it's watching to just randomly pop up) isn't running.

It's totally up to you what you want to do. That's why I separated things the way I did in the Wiki page. I guess you make the point that I don't specifically say that just disabling the service will do wonders. I'll make the edit in just a bit (unless someone gets to it before me, of course)

M.
    So the system can load *NO* part of it. Somethings still get loaded and wastes precious RAM (especially in the Pre-). The codecs, things like that. Only disabling it at boot time stops the damn thing from popping up whenever it feels like it because the service that watches the Volume Up Button (and whatever else it's watching to just randomly pop up) isn't running.

It's totally up to you what you want to do. That's why I separated things the way I did in the Wiki page. I guess you make the point that I don't specifically say that just disabling the service will do wonders. I'll make the edit in just a bit (unless someone gets to it before me, of course)

M.
    Many thanks for figuring out how to disable it. i didn't have any use for it, and would accidentally turn it on and have to reboot.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast