Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Hi, For what it's worth, my Sprint Pre- running 2.1 has been great for the past 2 weeks. Seems about as fast as 1.4.5 with NO overclocking, and no mods to the compcache values. I do have an occasional freeze when doing something but it comes right back. Not much different than performance on 1.4.5. I don't leave cards open, don't really run any of the hard core games, just run the app I need at the moment, then close it. The Sprint pre- with 2.1 is great if you aren't a power user..

Am I in the minority?
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    what about the dictionary in 2.1 is it working? And what about bluetooth is there any improvements? Thinking of update my spanish pre- which provider shall i put on my pre- have not seen a world ready update.
    //Beca
    I've been running my phone with 2.1 on it for a few days now. I have a Verizon Pre Plus (yes, I know this thread is about the Pre-, but I thinks its just the same).

So far, everything is perfect. Exhibition is awesome. Voice dialing works great (at least for the Verizon version). The dictionary is very helpful and being able to customize it is a BIG help.

2.1 itself is a lot more snappy and smooth. Just scrolling through the launcher is a big difference. The transitions are a lot more smoother and fluent such as going in and out of exhibition mode, opening the launcher, going in and out of card view. Transitions seem to fade into each other instead of just popping up instantly like unlocking the phone.

I installed UberKernal but honestly, it didnt seem to need it. It ran smoothly without being overclocked. Whatever HP/Palm did to make those changes, they did it right. I recommend anyone who is able to upgrade to 2.1.
    Quote Originally Posted by beca View Post
    what about the dictionary in 2.1 is it working? And what about bluetooth is there any improvements? Thinking of update my spanish pre- which provider shall i put on my pre- have not seen a world ready update.
    //Beca
    Dictionary works fine (mine is in Spanish). It's great. When writing a wrong word, it buzzes and the word is underlined. When tapping over the underlined word, a small pop-up suggests the possible words.

Regarding the update provider, I did it as the webos internals wiki says: with the O2 webosdoctor file. It worked perfectly. I did not loose any data. My pre(-) with webos 2.1 was quite slow, but with Uberkernel and Govnah Screenstate 500/1000 is running pretty smooth and fluent at the moment. I had stability problems (frequent hangs and freezes) with 250/1000, but seem to have gone away with 500/1000 and a compressed swap file of 32MB.

Most of the patches are already available in webos 2.1. Apart of the other notorious advantages (up to date device, apps only running on webos 2.x, etc.), another two key advantages that I've found are:

- Much better battery life.
    - Touchstone charging alert: with 1.4.5, when reaching 100% battery, a disgusting charging alert started to continuosly sound. Fortunately there was a patch to eliminate the sound, though the screen brigthing up at night was a bit annoying. In webos 2.1, there is no such a patch, but the charging alert does not occur if the Pre is carefully put in the Touchstone base (in the very exact position).

Definitively, the upgrade is worthwhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    I've been running my phone with 2.1 on it for a few days now. I have a Verizon Pre Plus (yes, I know this thread is about the Pre-, but I thinks its just the same).

So far, everything is perfect. Exhibition is awesome. Voice dialing works great (at least for the Verizon version). The dictionary is very helpful and being able to customize it is a BIG help.

2.1 itself is a lot more snappy and smooth. Just scrolling through the launcher is a big difference. The transitions are a lot more smoother and fluent such as going in and out of exhibition mode, opening the launcher, going in and out of card view. Transitions seem to fade into each other instead of just popping up instantly like unlocking the phone.

I installed UberKernal but honestly, it didnt seem to need it. It ran smoothly without being overclocked. Whatever HP/Palm did to make those changes, they did it right. I recommend anyone who is able to upgrade to 2.1.
    couldn't agree with you more....
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    So here it goes. Turned to the Wiki 2.1 upgrade page and followed step 1-5 and got flashing failed. Bummer, so pulled the battery and inserted it again *** a penguin appear on the display. Hm... And an HP logo came next. Just type appeared. So 2.1 installed anyway despite the failure. After testing a bit noticed the app catalog were nowere to be found. And dr skipper first use stated as profile. Ok doctor back to 1.4.5 worked fine, and again flash fail when updating to 2.1 oh man this is supposed to work people have don this before me. Ok one more time, uninstall cygwin reinstall cygwin downloading everything all over again followed step 1-5, the flash failed again, pull battery booted up again. Hm... App catalog is there oh crap dr skipper first use, turned of backups and cleaned the profile ok this worked. So now I got the 2.1 working just fine on my Spanish pre- in sweden. Just type is great, stacks is cool. Fixed the compcahe to 32Mb. The auto correct is a long awaited function wich I now love. One word of advice to people that thinking of upgrading there pre to 2.1 use Linux when flashing. That is what I'm going to do next time think I was just lucky to get it working under winXP. Any way despite the problems I experienced my pre- works just as good with 2.1 as 1.4.5 with the usual slowdowns some times. Battery life seems improved and the applauncher runs smother than ever before.

so now to step 6 donating to webos internal.

Another happy 2.1 upgrader.
    Last edited by beca; 04/11/2011 at 01:50 AM.
    I don't find an explanation to this. In any case, I wanted to write this down just in case it benefits somebody out there.

I upgraded my Pre(-) from 1.4.5 to 2.1. I followed totally the wiki in webos internals. Since I'm in Spain, I selected the O2 script. It worked well and the upgrade was successful. Only thing is that
    the Pre was significantly slower. i installed Uberkernel and Govnah, I had some stability problems with the Screenstate 250/1000. Rod suggested me to go to the 500/1000. I did it and the stability problems were almost gone , but temporary freezes (about 10 secs) were quite often and annoying.

I then decided to install the F104a kernel instead of the uberkernel to see if it could improve. When uninstalling the uberkernel i went into a boot logo loop, with no other option than redoctoring the Pre. I did it with the same script and files as I did it before when upgrading from 1.4.5 to 2.1.

Well, the thing is that this time my Pre is running very very much better than the first time with webos 2.1. It is fast and smooth. I have not even installed yet an alternative kernel and am not overclocking it. I have no idea why this time is working so much better than the first time. I swear that the process and files have been exactly the same as the first time. It has nothing to do with patches and any because this difference was absolutely evident before installing any patch in both cases.

I don't know how it will work when I overclock it (if I do it after all). Anyway, I'm quite happy now!
    Quote Originally Posted by naiki View Post
    - Touchstone charging alert: with 1.4.5, when continuously 100% battery, a disgusting charging alert started to continuously sound. Fortunately there was a patch to eliminate the sound, though the screen brightening up at night was a bit annoying. In webos 2.1, there is no such a patch, but the charging alert does not occur if the Pre is carefully put in the Touchstone base (in the very exact position).
    If you install Mode Switcher 2.0, you can make a night setting where you can set screen brightness and (all, independant) volumes to a certain designated level so these things won't bother you.
    I upgraded my Pre- [Movistar] [Optus] to 2.1.0, and it was very slow and sluggish.
    I tried a number of overclocking kernels, and found various issues with lagging, lock-ups and crashes.
    I liked the look and feel of 2.1.0 compared to 1.4.5, but I think my hardware was just not up to it. The battery life appeared worse under 2.1.0, but that was probably the overclocking.
    I was planning to wait for the Pre3, but the experience with 2.1.0 made me upgrade earlier to a Pre2 !
    The difference in speed and responsiveness is amazing. I am running standard kernel, no overclocking, and have not experienced any problems at all. Angry Birds loads in hardly any time !
    Even battery life seems better on the Pre2.
    Palm IIIe -> SL-10 -> NX80 -> UX-50 -> TH-55 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre (Movistar) -> Pre 2 (GSM-US) -> Pre 3 (EU-GSM) -> Pre 3 (AT&T) + TP 32Gb
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    If you install Mode Switcher 2.0, you can make a night setting where you can set screen brightness and (all, independant) volumes to a certain designated level so these things won't bother you.
    After writing my initial post, I have found out that charging alert sound can be eliminated through Advanced series of patches.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by naiki View Post
    I don't find an explanation to this. In any case, I wanted to write this down just in case it benefits somebody out there.

I upgraded my Pre(-) from 1.4.5 to 2.1. I followed totally the wiki in webos internals. Since I'm in Spain, I selected the O2 script. It worked well and the upgrade was successful. Only thing is that
    the Pre was significantly slower. i installed Uberkernel and Govnah, I had some stability problems with the Screenstate 250/1000. Rod suggested me to go to the 500/1000. I did it and the stability problems were almost gone , but temporary freezes (about 10 secs) were quite often and annoying.

I then decided to install the F104a kernel instead of the uberkernel to see if it could improve. When uninstalling the uberkernel i went into a boot logo loop, with no other option than redoctoring the Pre. I did it with the same script and files as I did it before when upgrading from 1.4.5 to 2.1.

Well, the thing is that this time my Pre is running very very much better than the first time with webos 2.1. It is fast and smooth. I have not even installed yet an alternative kernel and am not overclocking it. I have no idea why this time is working so much better than the first time. I swear that the process and files have been exactly the same as the first time. It has nothing to do with patches and any because this difference was absolutely evident before installing any patch in both cases.

I don't know how it will work when I overclock it (if I do it after all). Anyway, I'm quite happy now!
    It would be very interesting to know what you did the last time. Culd you please state what Os you used when you flashed your Pre-. And any additional facts would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by beca View Post
    It would be very interesting to know what you did the last time. Culd you please state what Os you used when you flashed your Pre-. And any additional facts would be appreciated.
    The first time I upgraded from WebOS 1.4.5 Movistar-Spain.

Both times I did exactly the same. I followed step by step the wiki WebOS Upgrade in the webos-internals web site. I installed meta-doctor and as my Pre is WR, I selected the O2 script:

./scripts/meta-o2-pre-2.1.0

It worked both times, but for any unknown reason (for me), the second one result much better. Only thing is that I get the TMC (too many cards) when three or four cards are opened. That's not really important. (how many times do you need so many cards open simultaneously?). In anycase, I've just installed the F104a Starfighter kernel and Govnah, overcloking with the Screenstate v2 500/1100. Speed is now even better, and the TMC does not show up even with 10 cards opened.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234