Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Can someone tell me how I am supposed to get playlists onto this device. I have tried searching the forums and can't find anything. MediaSync is disabled in 2.1.0 (and in 2.0.0 apparently). I'd really like to know. I use J River Media Center, and I may just have to go back to 1.4.5 for good if I can't get playlist support. That would be disappointing.

2.1.0 working on my Verizon Pre Plus!

EDIT: I didn't want to start a new thread, but I'd like everyone to see this, and know, that I made a patch for WebOS 2.x devices that enables media sync. Yes, it brings it back, in full form.

Here's a link to the other thread, you can download the patch there:
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2884417
    Last edited by fxspec06; 02/24/2011 at 03:57 PM. Reason: link
    You need to create a folder on your device (in USB Drive mode) and copy the playlist and its associated music files to that folder. The music files can be stored in sub-folders if you'd like.

Open up the playlist file in a text editor and make sure the files are referenced by a relative path instead of an absolute one. So if there are files located directly in the folder you created (i.e. not in a sub-folder), the file path should look like this: ./my_music_file.mp3. If a file is located in a sub-folder, it would look like this: ./my_subfolder/my_music_file.mp3.

After disconnecting your device, in a few minutes the webOS media indexer should pick up the changes and locate the playlist.

So that's how you do it. But let me offer you an even better, easier alternative: You can download my music app, Music Player (Remix), which is available in the app catalog for webOS 2.0 and later. You can create custom playlists within the app (called "flylists"). Flylists are much more flexible than regular playlists because any song you add to one will remain in there no matter where you store it on the device (no need to edit playlist files and specify file paths everytime you move files around).

Also flylists are automatically backed up to your Palm profile so if you ever doctor your phone or replace it, they'll get automatically restored. And lastly, in addition to songs, you can add whole albums, artists, genres, or even old-fashioned playlists to a flylist and they will update dynamically if you add new songs to the album/artist/genre/playlist saved in the flylist.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Hm, thats no solution for me. I use MediaMonkey to organise my music and there are some auto-genererated playlists in my PC-music-library (like "new music" or playlists with the best rating or...). I normally synced this playlists via MediaMonkey, which recognised the Pre as an iPod. Now, the Pre is "just" recognised as an portable device. MediaMonkey is still able to sync with the pre and it even syncs the playlists as .m3u-files, but the Pre does not recognise them. What can i do?
    Since it appears the Media Sync option is gone in webOS 2.0 (maybe someone else can chime in if that isn't true), it looks like your only option is to edit the M3U files as I mentioned in my previous post. Unless someone else has another idea.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    The question is: Which parts of the synchronisation have been disabled? Is it just the iPod-recognition for the PC or even the ability to read the iPod-specific folder/file/database-"system"?
    Can you post a few lines of the playlist file MM generated? And location of said playlists?

It is possible to sync your device as USB drive in MediaMonkey, MediaSync is not required.

EDIT: Having checked by 2.1.0 install, the playlists I had synced previously copied over fine. The media indexer is slower than in previous installs, it takes a few minutes for the songs to all show up and finally, the playlists.

However, my playlists are in the correct relative-path, / not \ format.
    Last edited by malpha; 02/23/2011 at 07:47 AM.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    I have not used Media Monkey in a while since my initial sync and / edit because I've been changing playlists in-app (not because I wanted to really, I like having my playlists between my PC and computer synced, but MM via Wine is PITA). However, according to this post, there is a way to automate the relative path and / options that should help you:

MediaMonkey • View topic - Changing format of m3u to forward slash

The post below it mentions this will be included in MM4, however, it isn't out yet, so try the plugin.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  8.    #8  
    My problem is I do not want to use MediaMonkey. I've been testing with J River Media Center and none of the playlist options work. I think I need to find the correct place to store the playlists. I have wayyy too many to create the ones I want on the device itself. Also most of the space on my pre is taken up by music. It'll be mostly 12 gigs of music, and the playlists I have include the same songs in *multiple* playlists. So having a playlist in each folder won't work for me. And, I need the ability to sync instead of manually copying, because I am constantly updating tags and downloading new Album Artwork. I'm currently flashing 2.1.0 again, and I'll test it out in a bit to see if I can get them working. I'll report back and let you guys know if I can get it to sync.

The main problem with 2.1.0 is that MediaSync used to *trick* Windows into thinking it's an iPod Video in 1.4.5. This is gone in 2.1.0. I know MM can sync to any device in iPod style format, but J River does not have this feature. So I need to figure out a way to get playlists to work correctly.
    Well, I am sorry that you do not want to use MediaMonkey even though there is a path in MediaMonkey to making it work correctly. If syncing as an iPod instead of the universal USB format is that important, you will have to go back to 1.4.5.

If you want to stick with it though, then, you do not need to have a playlist in each folder. On my Pre, I have all my music in a Music folder. This folder has subdirectories Artist/Album/track.ext like so:

/Music/Thursday/Common Existence/03 As He Climbed The Dark Mountain.mp3
    For convenience sake, I tell all my playlists (of which there are many, with songs on multiple playlists) to congregrate in a Playlists folder (you can just dump them all in the Music folder, I just like the organization), so they're located like this:

/Music/Playlists/heylisten.m3u

Now, inside my .m3u file it looks like this:

../Every Move a Picture/Heart = Weapon/01 Mission Bell.mp3
    ../The Cinematics/A Strange Education/02 Break.mp3
    Now, to break this down:

.. : tells the Pre to go up a directory to the Music folder
    everything else: the rest of the location of the file.

Now, if you have your playlists all in the Music directory, it won't begin with a .. and the file paths will vary accordingly.

So, look at the .m3u files Media Monkey is generating (I cannot advise on J River, I should hope a media program that is not iTunes would not hamper itself to not be able to sync to usb devices). They should look like what I've done. If they don't, then try to fix it using the post I linked to above.
    Last edited by malpha; 02/23/2011 at 02:05 PM.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Well, I am sorry that you do not want to use MediaMonkey even though there is a path in MediaMonkey to making it work correctly. If syncing as an iPod instead of the universal USB format is that important, you will have to go back to 1.4.5.

If you want to stick with it though, then, you do not need to have a playlist in each folder. On my Pre, I have all my music in a Music folder. This folder has subdirectories Artist/Album/track.ext like so:

For convenience sake, I tell all my playlists (of which there are many, with songs on multiple playlists) to congregrate in a Playlists folder (you can just dump them all in the Music folder, I just like the organization), so they're located like this:

Now, inside my .m3u file it looks like this:

Now, to break this down:

.. : tells the Pre to go up a directory to the Music folder
    everything else: the rest of the location of the file.

Now, if you have your playlists all in the Music directory, it won't begin with a .. and the file paths will vary accordingly.

So, look at the .m3u files Media Monkey is generating (I cannot advise on J River, I should hope a media program that is not iTunes would not hamper itself to not be able to sync to usb devices). They should look like what I've done. If they don't, then try to fix it using the post I linked to above.
    Alright. I'll give it a go in a minute. I'm trying to figure out why my texts are still not working, even though I have updated 1.7 cdma firmware. It's always something!
    Are you sure the firmware updated successfully? You used the script right? If you're unsure, you can do the ModemFW flash separately.

This way is not as automatic as using iPod sync initially, you have to understand how the Pre reads the files to get it working right. But just as with the meta-doctor 2.1, don't you feel so much happier and more enlightened knowing you have a greater insight into your phone?
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  12.    #12  
    Are you sure the firmware updated successfully? You used the script right? If you're unsure, you can do the ModemFW flash separately.

This way is not as automatic as using iPod sync initially, you have to understand how the Pre reads the files to get it working right. But just as with the meta-doctor 2.1, don't you feel so much happier and more enlightened knowing you have a greater insight into your phone?
    Yes, I used the script. I wrote one this morning that was 98% identical to the one Rod wrote right after I left. It's got 1.7 on there. I know there's 1.8, I'll look for it in a minute. Right now I'm testing a playlist.

And YES I feel so much better about my phone! It hasn't sunk in yet.. but things are starting to pull together nicely. I got the palm profile lookin good on Palm's website.. overclock is definitely coming.. damn this thing is gonna ROCK.

Also some guy got flash to work, by pulling a few files from Pre 2 doctor. I'm gonna try that shortly as well.
  13.    #13  
    YESSSS!!! Alright, I found out what was causing the problem. J River Media Center was creating M3U files using *| BACKWARD SLASH \\\\\ |* and replacing all with *| FORWARD SLASH ///// |* fixed the problem! If I can get it to use / when it creates the playlists that would be awesome. If not, I have no problems with firing up Notepad++ and doing a quick replace all across all playlists. Should take no time at all.

THANK YOU FOR MAKING MY WEBOS 2.1.0 EXPERIENCE AWESOME!!
    Last edited by fxspec06; 02/23/2011 at 02:55 PM. Reason: back/forward switched
    Well, actually, / is the forward slash and \ is the backslash, but yeah, that's how it goes. Good job. I'd take a look at the J River release notes for updates, I'm sure there are other devices out there that need forward slashes, whose J River profiles you may be able to borrow. There are plug-ins for J River as well, so there might be one out there to help you, too.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  15.    #15  
    Well, actually, / is the forward slash and \ is the backslash, but yeah, that's how it goes. Good job. I'd take a look at the J River release notes for updates, I'm sure there are other devices out there that need forward slashes, whose J River profiles you may be able to borrow. There are plug-ins for J River as well, so there might be one out there to help you, too.
    Yeah, I'll take a look at the plugins for it. If not I'll see if I can write my own script or something.

I think this is some pretty important information for anyone who needs to get playlists working. I'm considering editing the OP, maybe this thread could become a sticky. I know lots of people were having problems getting playlists to work. This thread explains all you need to know, with the key ingredient being the difference between '\' and '/'. This would definitely help everyone out.
    I can't believe Palm never addressed these issues. You shouldn't have to jump through hurdles and write scripts and stuff to get playlists to work. I got mine working once. i've never even attempted to do it ever again just cause its such a hassle. To me it's why they need to make or buy a real desktop client. I just think this playlist situation with webos is a perfect example of a where the other guys have a leg up on webos: polish. Most consumers just don't want to jump through all those hoops. They just want it to work. If you have itunes you plug in the phone and drag the playlist. Done. That is one of the big reasons people choose apple stuff over others. it just works. It should be that simple on WebOS phones and tablets. And i really think, going on almost 2 years, they really needed to make doing these sorts of things easy for users like the original poster.
  17.    #17  
    Since I didn't like doing it that way... I decided to go about my own thing and make a patch myself.

I made a patch that enables MediaSync in WebOS 2.x and above. Go ahead and try it, I promise it works.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2884417
    Always great to see someone take the initiative! I'm sure you've made a lot of people happy.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    This is so great! Its installing right now!
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by john-vogel View Post
    This is so great! Its installing right now!
    Make sure you download v2. I just uploaded it not too long ago. I decided there is no need to disable it in 'Device Info'.

EDIT: I also think there was a bug in v1 that deleted the library. Seems like that's not happening in v2.

I'm having problems seeing my playlists after they sync though. Not too sure why this would happen, and I don't think it's a problem with the patch itself.
    Last edited by fxspec06; 02/24/2011 at 06:38 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast