Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Just updated my Pre 2 to 2.1.0.

I am not seeing the contact photos for most of my contacts in the contact app or messenger.

When I go into the contact details, then I see some more there, but also not all.

Anyone else experiencing this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic-NKT View Post
    i activated the keyboard but it crashes after a few words... (Luna restart or full freeze) sadly unuseable and landscape (like allready said) crashes directly after starting.
    I read that the vertical keyboard works well for other, but i cant say that, is it just me? (o2 pre- german)
    Quote Originally Posted by kostka View Post
    same condition using same device happens to me any incompatibility issue? should we install "enable virtual keyboard" patch? the patch already available for webOS 2.1.0
    Same happens to me on a Verizon Pre+. Phone just reboots after typing a few letters. I guess it's disabled for a reason.
    Just upgraded to 2.1 on an unlocked Pre 2 in Australia, running on Vodafone. I'm *loving* voice dialling - finally! Just in time to comply with new road rules here too (can't touch the phone to dial).

Agenda exhibition is great too, though time could be jazzed up a bit or have a few options. Also noticed an odd bug for non-USians - the date in the time exhibition app appears to be hard-coded in US style m/d/y. The date shows fine in calendar and I checked my regional settings, but in exhibition it shows 3/9/11. It's a bit strange that something so elementary would get through, especially when the regional settings are right there.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Where do you see the full date? I can only see the weekday on the left and the month and year on the right and then the day big on the right:

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Mittwoch___________________________März 9 (big)
    _________________________________ 2011
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Or do you mean in the clock exhibition mode? There it shows german locale correct.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Well, I got 2.1 on an unlocked Pre 2. First impressions:
    1) Exhibition works, but in time mode the date at the top is formated US style and not in a normal way . Too bad it doesn't use regional settings.
    2) Can't test voice dialing because all my contacts are in Hebrew.
    3) Google Calendar sync looks better. I think it syncs all right. Guess I'll need a few more days to make sure it doesn't revert to its old (bad) ways. I think Contacts still do not sync well from Pre to Gmail.
    4) Recognizes incoming calls fine. People in unofficial launch countries had problems with matching incoming no. to contacts, but it looks like it is solved. Didn't have a chance to check it with SMS msgs, but I hope for the best.
    5) Don't know if GPS bug was fixed. Anyone?

That's it for now. All in all, a good upgrade... except for HP's logo instead of Palm's. <sob>

Edit:
    Re: 4) SMS messages have a country code prefix (+972 for me) and the Pre doesn't match it up reliably with contacts. Come on, HP!

6) Some people, me included, had trouble moving from Wifi to 3G and back, needing to toggle Airplane mode on and off to get back data connection. This seems to be resolved.
    7) Just Type has recent seaches. I think this is new, or at least I didn't notice it before. Just press on the Just Type bar at the top, and it will show them. Great for (re-)searching something without typing anything. Should be called Just
    Last edited by Kilrah_il; 03/09/2011 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Additional info
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    Yes! Precentral had a tip o the day about it. You can double tap and drag to select text. Takes 1 or 2 tries to learn it but it's better then webOS 1.x
    thanks, I was hoping that pop up dialogs would come with the tap to drag:

but this is better than nothing, i guess. Is there a video of this feature?
    Quote Originally Posted by jacqeus View Post
    Also noticed an odd bug for non-USians - the date in the time exhibition app appears to be hard-coded in US style m/d/y. The date shows fine in calendar and I checked my regional settings, but in exhibition it shows 3/9/11. It's a bit strange that something so elementary would get through, especially when the regional settings are right there.
    Nothing new about this, Palm has always had a very US centric view of the world. A view in which the world begins on one coast and ends with the other coast of the US. In the days of the Treo 680, they actually did not even allow contacts to be listed with First name first. Irony is that their myopic view and approach did not even help them survive in the US. What is sad is that the things that HP ought ot have changed at Palm, they have not, while the things they should have left alone are the one's that they have been hell bent on changing.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilrah_il View Post
    Well, I got 2.1 on an unlocked Pre 2. First impressions:
    1) Exhibition works, but in time mode the date at the top is formated US style and not in a normal way . Too bad it doesn't use regional settings.
    2) Can't test voice dialing because all my contacts are in Hebrew.
    3) Google Calendar sync looks better. I think it syncs all right. Guess I'll need a few more days to make sure it doesn't revert to its old (bad) ways. I think Contacts still do not sync well from Pre to Gmail.
    4) Recognizes incoming calls fine. People in unofficial launch countries had problems with matching incoming no. to contacts, but it looks like it is solved. Didn't have a chance to check it with SMS msgs, but I hope for the best.
    5) Don't know if GPS bug was fixed. Anyone?

That's it for now. All in all, a good upgrade... except for HP's logo instead of Palm's. <sob>

Edit:
    Re: 4) SMS messages have a country code prefix (+972 for me) and the Pre doesn't match it up reliably with contacts. Come on, HP!

6) Some people, me included, had trouble moving from Wifi to 3G and back, needing to toggle Airplane mode on and off to get back data connection. This seems to be resolved.
    7) Just Type has recent seaches. I think this is new, or at least I didn't notice it before. Just press on the Just Type bar at the top, and it will show them. Great for (re-)searching something without typing anything. Should be called Just
    Regarding 3) - the Google calender problem of duplications and nosync from Pre 2 to Google, is still there when I test.... HOWEVER, the Yahoo! calender sync seems to work better - but still testing here.... If you want to know more about the calender problems of 2.x, you may want to visit this thread on Palm Support pages.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGP View Post
    I'd be really interested to know whether HP have ironed out some of the bugs in 2.01 - specifically:

- Does html mail now display properly with POP accounts?

- Are PDK apps like Navit running on 2.1 now able to receive GPS signals?

- have they fixed the "snooze is not working" bug in calendar?

- Is the palm finally able to do caller ID for international numbers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilrah_il View Post
    Edit:

Come on HP!
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I didn't notice anyone mentioning this in the thread. It wasn't updated last night (at least on the North American site).

webOS 2.1.0

* Version information
    * New applications
    * Feature changes to existing applications

Version information

* Version: webOS 2.1.0
    * Release date: 7 March 2011

New applications
    Exhibition

Application icon: Exhibition Launcher icon

* Exhibition gives you access to special applications that optimize use of the smartphone while it is placed on an HP Touchstone charging dock. The apps include Time (clock app), Photos (photo slide show), and Agenda (agenda view).
    * Exhibition turns on automatically when you place your smartphone on a Touchstone charging dock. When the smartphone is not on a charging dock, you can manually turn on Exhibition from the Launcher.

Voice Dial

Application icon: Voice Dial Launcher icon

* You can dial contacts using your voice by launching the Voice Dial application. Voice dialing can also be initiated by pressing and holding the volume button at any time, or by tapping and holding Phone dial icon on the Phone dial pad.

Feature changes to existing applications
    Backup

* Information backed up to your Palm profile now includes call history entries, text messages, and instant messages. Note that multimedia messages are not backed up.

Bluetooth

* This release offers support for Bluetooth keyboards.

Email

* If you download a music file that you received as an email attachment, the file name appears correctly after downloading.
    * Email messages containing multiple replies appear with the replies correctly separated and formatted.
    * This release fixes an issue where email message body text in POP email accounts was not being downloaded to the smartphone.

Messaging

* If you restore a Palm profile that includes one or more messaging accounts, the status icon showing your availability in Messaging appears correctly.

Photos

* Thumbnail images appear correctly for images in the Wallpapers album.

Tasks

* If you search for a task or a task list by typing the name, the search term can begin with a symbol.

Security

This release addresses a number of security issues with HP webOS software.

Individuals interested in contacting Palm to report suspected security issues can find more information at palm.com/security .
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    It's nice that Backup does more now.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    A few great things I have noticed...

-Caller ID shows the state/region for the caller. I have seen "S California", "W Pennsylvania", and "Missouri" for example.
    -WebOS notifies you when websites have search engines (Wikipedia, etc...) and you can add them as search engines to the phone

A few things I don't like...

-After "closing" an email you jumped to from notification, you are returned to the "All Inboxes" inbox if it is enabled. In previous versions, it took you to the Inbox where the message resided. This doesn't appear to be configurable unless you disable the "All Inboxes" inbox

-The phone is dogsh!t slow in lots of situations when it can't seemingly be explained. That new HP hardware can't come soon enough!
    Last edited by theduder; 03/09/2011 at 05:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    Backup

* Information backed up to your Palm profile now includes call history entries, text messages, and instant messages.
    Can someone please confirm this. I wish to doctor my phone but only if I can be sure that I won't lose my call log and text messages.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    I was surprised to see HP's logo instead of Palm's. There should be a Palm logo in there somewhere.

The phone reboots faster

I'm in Costa Rica and the caller ID was a mess, now it works.

The date displays in a non-US way in my Pre2.

This one is different now: You search a friend, it shows the phone number, you tap the SMS icon, it used to send you to a blank SMS page and when you send the text re-direct you to the treated conversation, not anymore, now it takes you straight to the treated conversation even before you start typing, I think is better now.

The Bluetooth list of previously connected devices is gone , I had to pair my headset again like it was the first time. Not a problem, just fyi. The voice dialing didn't work when I first paired it, but the second time it worked.

The system alert sound didn't work after the update , it did again after a reboot.

Urig: "Is the palm finally able to do caller ID for international numbers?"
    I got a call from US and it shows the number and even the region from where they are calling, this was even on 2.0.1
    RafRol: The version on all the Palm apps on the phone is now 2.1
    Great work documenting everything by the way
    Kilrah_il: I'm pretty sure "Just Type" didn't show previous searches before

Detailed information about the new backup: Using Backup
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Can someone please confirm this. I wish to doctor my phone but only if I can be sure that I won't lose my call log and text messages.
    OS Doctor erases EVERYTHING on the phone. And not even the new Backup save message contents or call history
    Quote Originally Posted by soltrance View Post
    OS Doctor erases EVERYTHING on the phone. And not even the new Backup save message contents or call history
    Not so, apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by soltrance View Post
    Detailed information about the new backup: Using Backup
    From the link provided by soltrance above. The items of messaging and phone that are backed up using webOS 2.0 and after are as follows. Check out the full list using the link.

Messaging accounts (text/MMS/IM)
    Messages and conversations YES
     Attachments NO
     Usernames for online accounts YES
     Passwords NO

Phone
     Settings NO
    Call log YES
    Last edited by johncc; 03/10/2011 at 05:09 AM.
    Updated my Pre 2 (unlocked GSM version) to 2.1 and it was pretty simple and painless. Not really noticed too much so far, but a dropped phone meant I did notice that email can now be viewed in Landscape as well as Portrait. Maybe it worked before, but I could never get it to rotate.

Getting used to Exhibition mode though - before it was a lock screen, which was good, but you could get to the phone while it was on the Touchstone. Now with Exhibition on, you can see your diary for example, but you cannot get to the phone - unless you take it off the Touchstone. Which is fine, but I am going to have to get used to that.

Not really noticed much else.
    Quote Originally Posted by pre2phone View Post
    Updated my Pre 2 (unlocked GSM version) to 2.1 and it was pretty simple and painless. Not really noticed too much so far, but a dropped phone meant I did notice that email can now be viewed in Landscape as well as Portrait. Maybe it worked before, but I could never get it to rotate.

Getting used to Exhibition mode though - before it was a lock screen, which was good, but you could get to the phone while it was on the Touchstone. Now with Exhibition on, you can see your diary for example, but you cannot get to the phone - unless you take it off the Touchstone. Which is fine, but I am going to have to get used to that.

Not really noticed much else.
    Landscape email required a patch before.

To exit Exibition Mode swipe up from the gesture area, or on the Pre-, press the button.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast