1.    #1  
    So looking through the source code included with the VZW Pre2 doctor (and my Unlocked GSM Pre2), I found some interesting details in the App Catalog source code...

#1. There is a DIV (HTML code) in there, hidden by default, that says "For customers 18 years and older." This means that HP apparently will allow "adult" apps in the Catalog, unlike Apple (though news today says Apple allowed an "adult" app in the App Store)

#2. As we know, it allows you to see that apps have Exhibition Mode, Just Type support, etc.

#3. It has several DIVs in there, hidden by default, that show that apps can "work with" Contacts, Calendar, Email, and Messaging data, which will be interesting to see the details of this

Source: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.findapps/app/views/details/details-all.html in the Doctor/on device
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Based on some of the apps in the catalog right now, I think it's fairer to say that WebOS 2 "properly labels" adult apps.
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath
    Blegh, the quasi-adult and adult apps in the App Catalog disgust me. Thank dsevil for the the Hide App Vendors patch.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Planesdragon View Post
    Based on some of the apps in the catalog right now, I think it's fairer to say that WebOS 2 "properly labels" adult apps.
    Yeah, but those aren't even close to what could come out if HP does enable full-on adult apps, which IMO would be bad for business.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Well, if they were hidden it wouldn't really be damaging to anyone who stumbled upon them by accident, right?
    Honestly, I don't see the problem. Everyone knows pr0n makes massive amounts of money, and since Apple doesn't allow it this is another advantage of other devices.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Yeah, but those aren't even close to what could come out if HP does enable full-on adult apps, which IMO would be bad for business.

Could be for violent games. I think they are setting up the structure, but won't fully enable it until it really becomes an issue.
    great.

now what about camera apps, a doc editor, medical apps, voice apps, banking apps, netflix app,etc. Etc.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    great.

now what about camera apps, a doc editor, medical apps, voice apps, banking apps, netflix app,etc. Etc.
    Those things wouldn't be listed in the "works with" category (or the 18+/uses location services areas)

About voice apps, I assume you mean voice recording. If so, then you may be interested to know there were 2 in the App Catalog, mine having been the first. Unfortunately, Palm hasn't allowed us as developers to add in 2.0.0 as a minimum webOS version flag for our apps. This means any app using 2.0 features in the Catalog now will show up in the Catalog for 1.4.5 devices.

Voice Memos (my app) did until I found out "legacy devices" would not be getting 2.0. At that point, I pulled the app until Palm adds in 2.0.0.

Camera/voice apps cannot be in any App Catalog on devices prior to webOS 2.0 due to 1.4.5 and earlier not having any APIs for those services.

Banking apps would have to be made by the bank you use for security reasons.

Netflix will come eventually, but I suspect HP is making it, and that they're waiting for the TouchPad before they release it.

Medical apps: there are several already out

Document editor: coming from QuickOffice

But this has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand
    Arthur Thornton

Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Well, if they were hidden it wouldn't really be damaging to anyone who stumbled upon them by accident, right?
    Honestly, I don't see the problem. Everyone knows pr0n makes massive amounts of money, and since Apple doesn't allow it this is another advantage of other devices.
    Do you really want webOS to be the skanky OS lol?!

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    i dont think HP will allow full on ****ographic apps in the app catalog. i suspect it will be, like bnceo mentioned, for violent games and other apps that dont fall into the "family" category. although when you have apps that pull skanky images from a website, its kinda hard to allow that app in and monitor it at the same time. there are a few apps in catalog now that im surprised made it through.
    just bury a switch in app catalog preferences to show/hide/password protect adult content and then nobody will care except for the people that purchase said content.
    The most that I would find acceptable is if HP Palm allowed an Adult App Catalog App in the catalog, kind of like AppScoop, but for naughty things. Those apps would also have to publish from their own feed, however, as having those things show up in the regular Web App feed wouldn't be cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    great.

Do we have to take every thread in this forum offtopic with app requests? Give me a break...

can somebody make an app where there's a cat and you tickle it and it laughs and you then you laugh??
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Anyone remember the Beta vs. VHS wars? As much as I hate to say it, was there a reason that VHS won and that was due to 'Adult' materials...
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    I know what I'm doing tonight
    Why not make adult content disabled by default. Then make you activate it (prove legal age) in some way if you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtswerg View Post
    Anyone remember the Beta vs. VHS wars? As much as I hate to say it, was there a reason that VHS won and that was due to 'Adult' materials...
    For consumers, the most immediately obvious difference between the two formats was the recording length. Standard Betamax tapes lasted 60 minutes — not long enough to record a movie. Conversely, the 3-hour VHS tapes were perfect for recording television programmes and movies. Sony did adapt and offer various solutions for longer recording, but it was too late. The issue of recording time is often cited as the most defining factor in the war.

One more issue is worthy of note—****ography. There is a claim that adult content was not available on Betamax (possibly because Sony would not allow it) while it was becoming readily available on VHS. Whether or not this was really a factor is a contentious topic. Many sources have referred to it as fact (including Wikipedia) while others have made a campaign of debunking the "Myth of Betamax & ****". In researching this article I was unable to find any substantiated evidence that ****ography sales significantly influenced the outcome of the war.