Global Posts
    828 Global Posts
    Having had the opportunity to attend the Think Beyond event in person... I was both grateful & impressed at HP/Palm for putting together such a great press conference.

The Good (Great):

The devices shown were wonderful. The Pre 3, Veer & Touchpad had the WOW factor we were all waiting for. The presentation of webOS 2.x & 3.0 for TouchPad showed off the best parts of the OS and the crowd loved it. (Including some random clapping by me that got some laughs but at least Rubinstein liked it!)

The Pre 3 essentially is the Pre that I dreamed and talked about to nausea... 3.6" higher res screen, wider & better travel KB, auto-focus cam, front cam, solid slider, thinner etc...

The Veer was a welcome surprise. I cannot tell you the amount of people that asked about that model in particular. They are amazed at what the engineers working at Palm had accomplished. I think that the Veer will do really well come release.

The Touchpad of course was a hit. From the look, the internal specs & webOS 3.0... People saw something that can stand toe-toe w/ the iPad.

HP showed off what they see is the future of webOS, being integrated within a multitude of products and connecting all of them to create a uniform ecosystem. It was quiet grand & for anyone that thinks HP does not understand the importance of securing a solid footing in the mobile arena with the help of webOS... they were not paying attention.

Something that was glossed over, but I feel is HUGE: webOS on PC's. What better way of getting webOS into the hands of millions of users? Think of how many users of PC's have iPhones, Androids & BBs? They will now get a taste of something new, outside their comfort zone and just that can start to sway them to look towards a new smartphone or Tablet that would "connect" everything together.

I feel the same about printers. It might sound like a joke to some...but again, getting webOS physically into the hands of people makes it less foreign. They will see the benefits of how it moves and interacts. It WILL influence Smartphone & Tablet sales.

Missing:

RELEASE DATES! Of course we know things are being worked out w/ carriers in the background...but man the pulse on the street is that its too up in the air with the statement of "Summer". Many liken it to the original Pre's release...and we are all under the assumption that HP's reach could push the matter along A LOT faster than Palm could have...

I really would LOVE to see an April or May release. It could possibly make or break this launch.

For the launch coming up... Please do everything possible to make it a World-Wide release. HP has the scale to do what LG & Samsung does. Don't trickle this thing out. We don't need carriers to advertise for us.... I know HP is planning a huge ad campaign.... Lets use it to our advantage. Come out with all guns blazing....

Release it across Verizon, Sprint, AT&T (Hopefully T-Mobile) & Internationally as close as possible. It will only affect sales for the positive.

And for Hardware... The Pre 3 & Touchpad will be in direct competition with iPhone 5 & iPad 2 if release by summer. And while these products, if released ASAP would have HUGE jump on the competition, I am unsure that in Direct competition with the iPhone 5 & iPad 2 we won't need something "More"

The "More" should have been Apps. I fully expected that HP would have had much more big name apps to show off at Think Beyond. I hope that during the interim waiting for the launch of the Pre 3 & Touchpad this is being done.

Also, as "gimmicky" NFC might sound, I know if the iPhone 5 has it... it will become huge in the US. Android is already showing that a NFC chip coupled w/ Bluetooth can pretty much do the same as Touch2Share Touchstone technology. I think that if possible to add a NFC chip into the Pre 3, Do it.

I was also hoping to see HP announce some webOS traction into the Enterprise market. The huge ties with the medical & industrial fields it seems like a no brainer.

(And how about giving out a Pre 3 or Veer to EVERY HP employee?)

Lastly, I secretly thought we would see a webOS WiFi-Only device. I have brought this up before (webOS "Flick") Look at the sales of the iPod Touch. Millions of people without the iPhone rock an "iTouch". We need a cheaper alternative to get webOS into the hands of Dev's, younger kids & people that don't want another contract. Plus a webOS WiFi-Only device would be thinner and could test the waters of a Touchscreen-Only device for those looking for that.

Conclusion:

The Think Beyond event was wonderful... It invigorated the webOS community & showed that HP is going full force into the mobile market.

We just need to get the train moving...because if done right...nothing can stop it.

(P.S. Here are my pics from Think Beyond of the Pre 3, Veer & TouchPad: Flickr: MrKal_El's Photostream )
    Last edited by mrkalel; 02/20/2011 at 10:49 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    I have brought this up before (webOS "Flick") Look at the sales of the iPod Touch. Millions of people without the iPhone rock an "iTouch".
    I am hoping that the first two HP WebOS devices are a slab and a slab ipod touch wannabe. HP showed with the Touch Pad that they are not afraid to straight up copy apple, and i really feel that those two form factors will get a ton of mind share.

Veer = youth, tablet friendly, cheap for market/mind share
    Pre3 = enterprise, Palm Fans that have been crying for a keyboard that rocks
    Slab = 80% of phone buyers (made up of course), 1 major knock on palm phones so far
    Wifi Slab = youth, tablet friendly, cheap for market/mind share
    Watch = inovation if they can throw bluetooth in it or even clear

From what i have read I would think this is where they are going.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Thanks...looking soooo forward to the future
    good read ! i agree 100%
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I don't see a WebOS "Flick" being any more successful than a Samsung Galaxy "Player 50" or Zune HD or any other iPod counterpart. People buy the iPod because it's a cheap and easy in into Apple's ecosystem. They have a good media player, easy video store, endless fun games for them or their kids (the kid oriented games and educational apps on iOS are awesome, frankly. Probably the only reason I bought another iPod Touch, and it's a huge selling point for parents on long trips these days), and many other benefits.

No one else offers that, so it doesn't make sense to buy a phone-less touchscreen device from them. Especially when no one can significantly undercut the price of iPods these days.

I think HP is glossing over so much because they're spitballing right now. How do you announce a movie store and then give no further detail? How do you say you're expanding your mobile OS to the largest hardware platform around (PCs), and not be ready to follow through immediately on that? How do you emphasize Beats Audio, but not a single music ecosystem content provision to make this feature pop?

Because you don't have answers....that's how.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I don't see a WebOS "Flick" being any more successful than a Samsung Galaxy "Player 50" or Zune HD or any other iPod counterpart. People buy the iPod because it's a cheap and easy in into Apple's ecosystem. They have a good media player, easy video store, endless fun games for them or their kids (the kid oriented games and educational apps on iOS are awesome, frankly. Probably the only reason I bought another iPod Touch, and it's a huge selling point for parents on long trips these days), and many other benefits.

No one else offers that, so it doesn't make sense to buy a phone-less touchscreen device from them. Especially when no one can significantly undercut the price of iPods these days.

I think HP is glossing over so much because they're spitballing right now. How do you announce a movie store and then give no further detail? How do you say you're expanding your mobile OS to the largest hardware platform around (PCs), and not be ready to follow through immediately on that? How do you emphasize Beats Audio, but not a single music ecosystem content provision to make this feature pop?

Because you don't have answers....that's how.
    You are correct, but they also did not release the tablet yet. I expect that everything you have said they do not have the answers for yet will be expounded upon when they release the tablet...in the coming months. HP has done nothing to show that they are going into this half heartedly so I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Hopefully HP gets the kid games that you are mentioning ported when they make their media player. Even Samsung is releasing one HP would be silly not to with the ecosystem they mention so often.
    Lets not make this yet another HP vs Apple argument. Please keep this on the topic of thoughts of HP's equipment and services.
    I liked the Pre 3, seemed to be a nice evolution and answer most of the missing features from the Pre 2, auto focus camera and screen size. However, I do admit I like the small size of the original Pre, having swapped from an iPhone 4, and it does feel nice and small to carry around.

Unless Apple come up with an astonishing iPhone 5 at a reasonable price I think the Pre 3 will be my next phone.

John
    ex-Iphone 4 user - Palm Pre + (ex-O2 Unlocked using Nextgenserver, WebOS 2.1) and loving it.
    OP is spot on.

However I feel like we also have to point out the 2.0 fiiasco. I I am still amazed that they let thaat screw up the momentum, and that they didn't have a plan for keeping current users whole.

just sayin
    Global Posts
    828 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    OP is spot on.

However I feel like we also have to point out the 2.0 fiiasco. I I am still amazed that they let thaat screw up the momentum, and that they didn't have a plan for keeping current users whole.

just sayin
    You are right...that should have been handled (or not handled on that day) much better.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El