Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    He asked whether he could 'update' the RAM of his O2 Pre- to Pre+. If that's not asking about plussing an O2 Pre-, what is it?
    Attempting to swap the RAM chip inside his O2 GSM Pre- device (which is physically attached to the top of the OMAP chip) is very different from taking the SIM card out of an O2 GSM Pre- and putting it in an O2 GSM Pre+.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    I assume somebody already checked how much RAM webos 2.x uses on a Pre 2?
    That would give us a fair approximation of whether it can work on the original Pre.

Having a doctor that can transplant 2.x on a Pre will be pointless if the OS tries to take up 260 MB of RAM after boot.

I just played around a bit on my Pre with the Terminal and it seems that at most I have less than 15 MB (been days since I booted though). My most used app - Newsroom - eats roughly 1-2 MB. (my quick tests were utterly unscientfic and very anecdotal though)

2.x with Enyo and whatnot could have easily eaten that 15 MB for breakfast - unless they found some other stuff to clean out and optimize away.
    I've specifically not stated whether the result of flashing webOS 2.x on a Pre- would work to one's satisfaction or not.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Attempting to swap the RAM chip inside his O2 GSM Pre- device (which is physically attached to the top of the OMAP chip) is very different from taking the SIM card out of an O2 GSM Pre- and putting it in an O2 GSM Pre+.

-- Rod
    It doesn't really matter, but where did he (or anyone else) say anything about swapping the SIM card? Us GSM users do that all the time. The question was whether he could turn his Pre- into a Pre+.

But now we're arguing about something *really* unimportant like what somebody else on the internet meant when he said something. Aaah, Internet -- helping you solve problems you wouldn't have had without it, since 1989.
    It doesn't really matter, but where did he (or anyone else) say anything about swapping the SIM card? Us GSM users do that all the time. The question was whether he could turn his Pre- into a Pre+.

But now we're arguing about something *really* unimportant like what somebody else on the internet meant when he said something. Aaah, Internet -- helping you solve problems you wouldn't have had without it, since 1989.
    That's the whole point. The easy way to change a GSM Pre- into a GSM Pre+ is to just swap the sim card from the first device to the second.

He obviously wasn't asking about that.

A question about RAM upgrades is a question about RAM upgrades, which is not something you undertake lightly on A GSM Pre- when you can just swap a SIM card.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If O2 release a webOS 2.0 doctor for the Pre Plus, you can use Meta-Doctor to customise and flash it on a Pre Minus.

-- Rod
    Presumably that means that it would also be pretty easy to convert the O2 Doctor to work on American Pre Pluses, right?
    This is great news, if true... hope they keep their promise. :P
    So is this doctor online yet? Can someone with an O2 plus enter a serial number to check?
  7.    #27  
    its not available yet i think, this post is only a few days old and i think they post again if the update is finally available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic-NKT View Post
    its not available yet i think, this post is only a few days old and i think they post again if the update is finally available.
    there hasnt even been a YES only a MAYBE for the plus here in my eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnark View Post
    there hasnt even been a YES only a MAYBE for the plus here in my eyes.
    In the english translation, the writer uses "will be" [an update] for the Plus with the Pre Minus and Pixi Plus excluded and says it is from an official O2 spokesperson.

Can anyone else read the announcement in German and see if they get a different English translation? I used to know a little bit of German but have forgotten most of it. I think "soll es" "geben" means will be given to us (the Pre Plus update).
    Er unless the spokesperson meant "should have been already" given to us as an over-the-air update and he is going on information from Feb 9th, before Rudy definitively said no to all hardware. I don't know how up-to-date O2 is with Palm. You would think a week later that they would have cleared up any communications issues but given the recent HP communications track record, it may not be so.

ps Sonic-NKT, you are way better at English than I am at German, good job and give yourself credit.
    Last edited by bluenote; 02/19/2011 at 02:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    PS: sorry for the bad english, im not a native speaker
    I'd rather suffer through your "bad english" and get the news then not!

Thanks for the translation!
    Two years sounds like an OK update cycle though - how long do you want HP to support old hardware? Forever? Why don't you try running Windows 7 on that old Pentium 2 of yours?

The problem with our Pres and Pixis is that the buyout completely stopped the presses in a manner of speaking, possibly also because HP decided to make changes to things when they took over. Chances are that HP webOS 2.0 as we know it is quite a bit different from Palm webOS 2.0 as Palm had it worked out when HP came along and bought them.

Had Palm been able to stay up alone, maybe we would've gotten a less capable 2.0 that would've worked on Minus phones last summer. Like Ruby said, webOS effectively missed one product cycle.

I don't think anybody except the professional complainers on this forum would have been mad if the original Pre had gotten 2.0 but was now unable to run 3.0. One major update in the middle of a device's life is the perfect way to handle obsolescence. The Pre simply missed that.
    well stated.
    Hey,
    just found this statement from a official O2 Person on the german O2 Support PS: sorry for the bad english, im not a native speaker
    yep, this is what I thought. People were saying the carriers were killing the webos 2 update but nope it was HP all along. I still think it's a business decision on their part.
  13.    #33  
    well "soll es dagegen schon bald geben" translates into "should be there soon on the other hand" in a direct translation, for me (as native german speaker) its sounds like o2 knows that a pre plus update for 2.0 will be coming, but when only lies in the hand of HP. Hope it wont take to long and i hope o2 knows what they are talking about.

PS: im wondering if a device (like pre plus) updated with a doctor to 2.X will receive OTAs again, or have to rely on doctor for every system update in the future, if there will be more updates at all for those older devices.
    well "soll es dagegen schon bald geben" translates into "should be there soon on the other hand" in a direct translation, for me (as native german speaker) its sounds like o2 knows that a pre plus update for 2.0 will be coming, but when only lies in the hand of HP. Hope it wont take to long and i hope o2 knows what they are talking about.

PS: im wondering if a device (like pre plus) updated with a doctor to 2.X will receive OTAs again, or have to rely on doctor for every system update in the future, if there will be more updates at all for those older devices.
    I would strongly doubt it.

*IF* we get a Pre+ 2.x doctor, I think you can safely assume that's the very last thing you'll get for the legacy devices.

-- Rod
    i am a native german (hollereidüllijöh!) one too. and yes "soll es (...) geben" aka "should" sounds really good but if you send it through the experience filter its in fact a maybe in my opinion

its true that the "enter serial and see if your device is doomed" page in europe says no for minus and "we are working on the matter" for plus as experienced by me and other writers here. have that changed to better or worse?

i say the possibility is there to get a working solution... some day
    to be honest an update for the pres is nice but i d like to see them announcing to sell the pre2 or the veer. right now they have interest in selling the best palm phone they have: the pre plus.

so i really really really pray that they plan what would be best for all hp webos business. upgrade (and sell some) legacy now, sell new generation soon.
    HP says no 2.0 update to Pluses according to Engadget. That was quick. Whatever happened to "its up to the carrier to decide?"

Palm Pre Plus to get webOS 2 after all? -- Engadget
  18. one
    Only one thing I know: next smartphone will be android based.

There are a lot of things which I like in the webOS but tehre are so many which do not work that you feel like beeing in the stone age (see clock problems for example)

The whole palm pre* & webOS development & market strategy is ridiculous for an absurd price!

Do you think I have bough 1 Year ago for ~500 euro a "poor hardware" smartphone (palm pre) with a buggy software and I will buy again the new version of it now just to have updates?
    You are crazy guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by one View Post
    Only one thing I know: next smartphone will be android based.

There are a lot of things which I like in the webOS but tehre are so many which do not work that you feel like beeing in the stone age (see clock problems for example)

The whole palm pre* & webOS development & market strategy is ridiculous for an absurd price!

Do you think I have bough 1 Year ago for ~500 euro a "poor hardware" smartphone (palm pre) with a buggy software and I will buy again the new version of it now just to have updates?
    You are crazy guys!
    The update was officially released to you:
    webOS 2.1 download posted for European Pre Plus (Updated) | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12