Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. bjones521's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hey guys, I currently have an Android device(Evo) and I would love to get a Pre 3 if it comes to Sprint. I was wondering for those who have used an Android device are the Pros and Cons of WebOs to Android! I just love the multi tasking on WebOs!!

    Thanx
  2. #2  
    I don't actually have an Android device but plenty of my friends do so I'm exposed to what they can and can't do.

    The main thing for me is that it's not really intuitive. Things are more complicated to get through sometimes, menus being one and killing programs, webOS is much easier in that category.
    Sprint Love
  3. #3  
    webOS = better multitasking with all apps and super easy modification of software via patches, however there are less apps and less hardware features.

    Android = kind of sorta multitasking with some apps with more locked down but still "modable" software via roms, however has a large number of apps and more hardware features.
    Conne>< Coding

    Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

    Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

    Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

  4. bjones521's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
       #4  
    OK thanx, thats the one thing im worrying about are the apps. Im sure HP will come thru tho!
  5. #5  
    People are seriously confusing multitasking with task switching interface.

    If you really want to learn the pros and cons you might want to also take a look at some posts in the "other handhelds" sub forums. Honestly, people have been selling this "nobody multitasks like webOS" BS when pretty much everyone else has caught up with their own flavor to it. Preference to a system is one thing, but claims that its not possible/horrible to do is yet another.

    Ill also add here the things we have to patch on webOS come standard or out the box as an option on androids.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
  6. #6  
    The only con about webOS is App numbers. If you LIVE for the newest fun novelty app where you can tickle a cat and it totally laughs, or the one where you tip the phone and it totally pours out beer, or whatever, and can't imagine life without them, webOS is currently not for you.

    The crux with webOS is that it is the best interface for managing a lot of open apps at once, but doesn't offer that many apps to open at once in the first place. This may change in the future as developers recognize that HP is serious about webOS. Like, seriously serious.

    Devs didn't move to Android because it's such a great platform - it's clunky and ugly - but they gravitated to the Google knowing that Goog wouldn't back out of this market anytime soon. Conversely, devs didn't avoid webOS because the system is bad - it's brilliant - but because they were afraid to put in work for a system owned by a company threatened by imminent bankruptcy like Palm was. HP on the other hand ain't goin' nowhere. HP is going places, if anything.
  7. #7  
    I've use webOS and had an Evo for a short while.

    What I liked about my Evo:
    It was fast (most of the time), much faster than my pre. When I opened an app, it was there immediately. When typing there was never any lag between me entering the command and the letters showing up. The swype keyboard is awesome (most of the time). I also liked the CONCEPT of widgets, but most of them let me down when it comes to fuctionality.

    What was OK about the Evo:
    The huge application store is one of Android selling points, but it's wasn't THAT impressive to me. Sure there are a couple big name companies that support android and not webOS, but for a typical user, you should be able to find a serviceable alternative most killer applications. Basically what i'm saying you really have to ask yourself, of those hundreds of thousands of apps, how many will actually use? Once you figure that out, you'll probably see that the webOS catalog can hold its own. The task switching solution is serviceable. But there have been times when an app that i wanted to switch back to was killed by the OS. I'm not sure what algorithm they use to decide which task to kill, but i think it should be up to the user. That said, when I manually killed tasks using an app, it almost always froze the phone or slowed it to the point i needed to restart it.

    What i hated about my Evo:
    The app launcher. Why just have a one page alphabetical grid? I really wanted to organize things the way i wanted without wasting space on my homescreen. The limited amount of space on the homescreen was annoying as well. Also, i kept wishing that google search bar on my homescreen would work like just type, and I found it very frustrating when it didn't. I missed having a physical keyboard, especially when I had inadvertently added words to my swype dictionary and it was causing me to type SLOWER! I really missed universal search and my keytoss patch. I can't quite put my finger on it, but i'm not a fan of quite a few of the UI elements. Figuring out how to tweak things to my liking was often a pain in the neck. i didnt even wanna try to get into homebrew!

    About WebOS:
    you can pretty much invert my list to see how i feel about webOS. Most of the application gaps are due to the fact that the API's aren't available (at least not of devices prior to the Pre2). I'm confident that wont be a problem by the time Pre3 comes out.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 02/19/2011 at 09:54 AM.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    What i hated about my Evo:
    The app launcher. Why just have a one page alphabetical grid? I really wanted to organize things the way i wanted without wasting space on my homescreen. The limited amount of space on the homescreen was annoying as well.
    You really need to try out a new launcher. I agree that Sense does make that much, well, sense...

    I have been using Go Laucher and it allows you to create folders and place them on your home screen, also when you open the apps window not only do you have the alphabetical list with the ability to hide apps (like the Sprint bloatware), but you also have a recent apps list (much like iOS).

    It's funny, I've found myself to be not that much of a big widget user, I've got all the stuff I want on my home screen and two blank pages on either side . But, another nice feature of Go Launcher is if you want 50 launcher pages, you can have them!

    Since this is a webOS forum, I agree the way webOS handles multitasking is by far the most intuitive, I think just because you swipe back and forth between open cards and you can easily "see" what is being multitasked. But to be honest, I have not found that Adroid multitasks that differently (obviously without the cards) but I've yet to lose anything when a call or text comes in while typing an email, etc.

    So many people claim that a webOS advantage over Android is that you need task killers on Android. I don't use them, and Google advises not to. They claim that webOS doesn't need them, but they do not really know if a task is running behind the scenes when the card is not there. There are lots of things that run in the background in webOS even without a card present. Just open a terminal window and run "top" and you will see it all. In fact, I would bet most time that people have to restart or do a battery pull its because there is a "task" that is running in the background that will not go away.

    They are both great platforms. Some will love one, some will love the other and some will be like myself -- I like both. I just moved from webOS to Android because of the stunt HP pulled and I didn't feel like waiting until "summer" to potentially get a new device (no matter what people have said it is not guaranteed to come to Sprint -- and to those who say it is going to because someone at Sprint said it was, I will remind you that HP said we would get webOS 2.0 on our Pre- too).

    I am of the belief that you got to find what works best for you. Android is working pretty good for me right now, but when my next upgrade comes up next February, I will definitely take a look at webOS again.
  9. #9  
    I have a Galaxy S device and really like it, but also really enjoy my pre plus. I like Android almost entirely for the large selection of apps. I guess the xda-developers community and the work they do is also quite compelling.

    Why do I like the pre and webos? It is harder to pin down. Many people say that webos is great because of multitasking. I think multitasking on webos is a nice feature, but what I really like about that aspect of webos is the INTERFACE for task switching. Even if there weren't true multitasking but they used the webos interface for task switching it would be a really nice interface.

    I think what really makes webos and the pre excellent is the interplay of hardware and software. For example, your typical android device has 4 buttons. The pre has only one, but the gesture area, in a very intuitive way, allows for a much richer navigation experience when paired with webos. I think that the modern os with the gesture area along with the combination of a hardware keyboard and Just Type makes for a very pleasantly navigable phone.

    On the matter of the keyboard: I think sometimes both the webos community and those outside of it make the mistake when evaluating webos of comparing it to the best of all other platforms. So the pre keypad is not as good as a blackberry, and it doesn't have as many apps as android and its graphics aren't quite as smooth as on the iphone. That is all (more or less) true. However, when you buy a car you very rarely choose the one that is the most comfortable, has the highest top speed and the most attractive looks. Such a car doesn't even exist because the manufacturers realize that no one would want to pay for such a car. I think that the keyboard on the pre is better than any hardware keyboard outside of blackberry, then when you combine that with a much better os than the blackberry os and enough apps and quite reasonable graphics you get a product that is very attractive when compared to any other product out there. Despite owning an android device that is near the top of the specs race (although it is about to be deposed by the Atrix 4g and others that are soon to arrive), when I want to get actual work done, I use my pre+, and really enjoy doing so. Some in the android community are beginning to recognize that the specs race is not necessarily very important. There have been several phones that have come out in the last 6 months with only 800Mhz processors that are blazingly fast. Apple has always known that the specs race was secondary and has really excelled in integrating hardware and software. What really matters is the integration of the hardware and software, something that the pre series has in spades. In fact I would argue that the pre3 has the potential to be a much better whole for a large demographic when comparing hardware and software than the iphone. I have used macs for years and my wife has an iphone and I have to say that I am more bullish on the growth prospects of webos than I am on the iphone because of the potential that the hardware/software combo has in webos (although part of my bullishness is due to the fact that webos has a lot more room to maneuver in terms of market share).

    Personally, I think that the pre3 will be a very good phone. It meets some of the glaring hardware needs of the older pres (a reduction in lag and 720p video capture being some of the leaders) without paying undue attention to the specs race. If the pre3 had a 500Mhz, single core processor but operated smoothly, I and I think most other users would be really excited about it as a phone.

    Wow, this got really long. Kudos if you stuck with it. Sorry for the long windedness.
  10. #10  
    @mikey47 I wasn't aware of Go launcher, but I did try some other applications that were supposed to allow me to put my apps into folders and such. But the UI for all of them were extremely clunky, so it wasn't worth the effort.

    I would have tried to turn to homebrew for my needs, but the directions I found seemed too complicated. Perhaps I was spoiled by the konami code.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    The only con about webOS is App numbers. If you LIVE for the newest fun novelty app where you can tickle a cat and it totally laughs, or the one where you tip the phone and it totally pours out beer, or whatever, and can't imagine life without them, webOS is currently not for you.
    So you seriously think the dozens and dozens and dozens of former Pre now Android owners on A|C switched because there were more cute fart apps (CRApps)? Uh huh. No it couldn't have been the fact that 2 years later webOS is still missing (or only now getting on 2.0 that how many people will get to play with?) major features people's centros had years ago. Not a chance it could have been missing tools like doc editing or for an enterprise chap like me a goodlink client (that i had on my treo 650!)

    I wanted to keep the hardware piece out of the conversation since we are focusing on the mobile OS itself here, but its hard to decouple webOS hardware from software since the options for a webOS phone is limited. Just can't ignore things like moving to 4G (talk+surf), bigger screen, and superior build quality.


    I recognize HP announcing its bridging this gap "in the coming months" but that term is all to familiar for webOS early adopters. Maybe as the OP hasn't been disillusioned, his potential clean slate into webOS might be a fruitful one, but he may be unpleasantly surprised at what he will give up until HP FULLY bakes their product.
    Last edited by giograves; 02/20/2011 at 11:27 AM.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
  12. #12  
    PROS: Homebrew, UI, simple to use, intuitive

    CONS: Lack of hardware options and apps

    I have no actual complaints about the OS itself. It's simply the best.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums


    My Themes:CLICK HERE
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by giograves View Post
    So you seriously think the dozens and dozens and dozens of former Pre now Android owners on A|C switched because there were more cute fart apps (CRApps)? Uh huh. No it couldn't have been the fact that 2 years later webOS is still missing (or only now getting on 2.0 that how many people will get to play with?) major features people's centros had years ago. Not a chance it could have been missing tools like doc editing or for an enterprise chap like me a goodlink client (that i had on my treo 650!)

    I wanted to keep the hardware piece out of the conversation since we are focusing on the mobile OS itself here, but its hard to decouple webOS hardware from software since the options for a webOS phone is limited. Just can't ignore things like moving to 4G (talk+surf), bigger screen, and superior build quality.


    I recognize HP announcing its bridging this gap "in the coming months" but that term is all to familiar for webOS early adopters. Maybe as the OP hasn't been disillusioned, his potential clean slate into webOS might be a fruitful one, but he may be unpleasantly surprised at what he will give up until HP FULLY bakes their product.
    Android has about 20 truly desirable Apps webOS is missing, the rest is long tail - which is a wonderful thing to have, and yes, I think that the hundreds of people who moved to Android were mainly motivated by stats like a hundred thousand apps on Android and five thousand apps on webOS. Which is quite understandable, if you ask me.
    So yes, I seriously believe that App numbers rather than backend issues have been holding webOS back, even though the number of essential apps and features that are really sorely missing from what we have to get used to calling "legacy devices" is quite small. Like everyone else, I totally feel you on the Word processor, and would love to have VPN already.

    By the way, talk and surf is not a 4G feature, it's a problem with CDMA, which is simply an inferior solution than GSM / UMTS. I talk and surf just fine at 7.2 MBit/s with my European Pre. I understand that WiMax phones rarely reach higher speeds. At this point, I feel that 4G is a marketing gimmick more than anything else.

    Build quality of HP webOS devices seems to be amazing from all accounts I've read - but the problem is obviously, as you said, time to market. I do think that HP's decision to keep playing the "coming months" game is problematic... They should have waited until they have a complete lineup ready to ship to announce the rebirth of webOS "starting now".
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I think that the hundreds of people who moved to Android were mainly motivated by stats like a hundred thousand apps on Android and five thousand apps on webOS.
    I think you underestimate when you say "the hundreds", my guess would be more like "the thousands" because most Pre users aren't hanging out here on P|C. And this number will only grow starting April 1st as those launch day Pre- owners are up for their full eligibility for an upgrade.

    I also think that saying it is mainly an app numbers issue is not quite correct. To me it is about choice. Say you don't like the calendar or calendar widget that comes with your Android device -- there are many out there in the Android Market to choose from. Say you don't like the docked icons, or way your launcher performs on your device -- there are many out there to choose from. Want to edit MS Office docs? Got that too.

    Pure raw numbers are a confusing stat to go by -- sure Apple and Google are pushing those numbers as signs of the success, but there are a lot of CRapps out there, but likewise there are many CRapps in the App Catalog too (think why there is a way to blacklist the spam vendors in the App Catalog).

    At the end of the day I think it is word of mouth that carries the day. Most people who hang around P|C are tech savvy and will go out and research what phone might work best for them. However, most people aren't tech savvy like us, when they are looking for a new phone, they will ask their friends, family, co-workers, etc. I personally work with many people who rushed out to get an iPhone and then hated it (or rather they hated AT&T service) so most of those have jumped ship to Android.

    So, it's kind of like a self-fulfilling prophecy -- those phones that have a large following and are happy with their device and service will get more -- those who've left a bad taste in the mouths of users will lose.

    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Build quality of HP webOS devices seems to be amazing from all accounts I've read - but the problem is obviously, as you said, time to market. I do think that HP's decision to keep playing the "coming months" game is problematic... They should have waited until they have a complete lineup ready to ship to announce the rebirth of webOS "starting now".
    You may be right that the build quality is amazing, but like I said above until those units get out into the hands of the "common" user and they start to gush about the devices good qualities, I fear that HP will keep losing ground in this arena.

    Even though I am on Android for at least a year now, I will always keep my ear to the ground with webOS. I loved it but just couldn't take the lack of choices, the build quality, the lack of direction from HP, and the constant use of the term "in the coming months". If the Pre3 (and whatever follows) are big successes and HP starts regaining lots of ground it and Palm have lost, I would feel very comfortable recommending it to people and would certainly consider switching back.

Posting Permissions