Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    I keep trying to justify the reasoning and figure out why HP is waiting to the summer to release their new line of products. Haven't they learned from the original launch of the pre that if you do not act quickly products could be already out of date before you release them? Especially with how fast the cell phone providers are cranking out their products. Not to mention you just **** off customers.

I am just really surprised by HP's decision to release these products so late, especially since I thought they said before the February event that products will be available immediately. Why is this release taking so long? Someone please tell me because I would think with HP's manpower they would be able to release these phones much quicker. There will probably be 3 new android phones by the summer!
    They want to compete with the iPhone 5 head on.
    I sense a merge

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    maybe they're waiting until the products are ready to be released... That's just my guess...
    So, have you ... seen the other 15 threads discussing this, or ... ? What new questions are being asked here?
    Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    So, have you ... seen the other 15 threads discussing this, or ... ? What new questions are being asked here?
    Also don't understand why people get so nasty when people happen to post a topic that has already been discussed, sorry I don't spend my life on these boards and don't have the time to research for an hour before I post something, although I do take the effort to do a little research. If anything, the topics that are duplicated the most shows people what is most currently important.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Perhaps the software isn't where they want it to be with the new features they are demonstrating?
    Essentially it's all speculation, but the most reasonable points from other discussions I've read (mostly here) boil down to:

• Veer: Was probably in the Palm pipeline already pre-HP buyout, as a supplement to the Pre2, and that's why it's slated to be released first (and why it's got the cleanest-running webOS build of the devices announced 2/9)
    • Pre3: Hardware is ready but software is not. Apps like Google Maps and others aren't yet optimized for the larger screen real estate.
    • TouchPad: take your pick. New dev framework just announced means no apps, HP still has relationships to build/finalize with big-name media partners, screen tech availability is probably low, webOS 3.0 is the newest OS and therefore at its eraliest stage, etc. etc.

Once again, this is all third-hand information from the other threads about this topic. I don't claim any of it's true, but all of it makes sense to me.

We have to keep in mind that HP only completed the Palm acquisition 8 months ago. While that seems like an eternity to a customer base that was already getting tired of their old'n'busted Pre-minuses when that was announced ... it's really not a long time in the world of business.

IMO, the fact that HP has managed to get this much done in that timeframe is very impressive. If they launch all three of these new devices before the summer is out, I'd call that a very significant accomplishment. Especially for a first step in a much larger long-term plan.
    According to the Palm website. The Pre3 and the Touchpad are still waiting on FCC approval. Pull up the info for the Pre3, it's athe very bottom of the page. They can't sell it without this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dballew View Post
    According to the Palm website. The Pre3 and the Touchpad are still waiting on FCC approval. Pull up the info for the Pre3, it's athe very bottom of the page. They can't sell it without this.
    It's probably not even ready for HP to submit it yet. And even after FCC approval, they've got to submit it for carrier testing and approval.
    i was hoping for something otherwise, but it's pretty clear from what we've seen thus far that they're simply not done. between the loss of key people, the shuffling at the top, and the likely reshuffling of strategy & priorities when palm was absorbed into the HP ecosystem, what we see is a company forced to make announcements at an unfortunate time. they lose if they don't announce anything, and they lose if they do. it's a tough place to be.

the thing about building a cohesive user experience in software is that there is a large overhead of intellectual capital that is lost when key people leave, as is the case with palm and the webOS team. the transfer of knowledge and ramp-up time is not something to be taken lightly. throwing more resources/people doesn't always make it happen faster, unfortunately. anyone who's had serious experience on large software and UX projects will tell you that. marketing and management, unfortunately, has to learn it the hard way.

so yea... we'll have to wait a bit. i'm neither blaming or making excuses for HP. i just hope that those involved is aware of the gravity of the situation that they are in, and the high stakes that they are dealing with, and really really pull together to make something magical happen.

my greatest fear right now is that HP is going to treat webOS as a commodity that is dosed out in great quantity at a mediocre caliber. it's a fine strategy for the short-term, but it's not going to be something that can be sustained or grow in the long-term.