1.    #1  
    Well, I did get a reply the other day directly from someone at HP regarding my Email to them...
    I am VERY, VERY, VERY IMPRESSED, because they replied by not only by phone, but with a real apology... An no, it wasn't just some person at a call center reading scripted messages either....Here is the whole thing A-Z:

My Letter to HP in full...
    ---------------------------------------------
    Dear HP,

I am a longtime Palm Product owner/user & bought one of the first versions of Palm Pilot. I was very much looking forward to the February 9th "HP-Palm Debut", but I have gone from being "Overly Ecstatic" to "Utterly Disgusted. The majority of Devoted Palm owners, followers, & developers are quite en-flamed by your recent disclosures about the future of existing WebOS products & OTA support.

I was Very, Very Impressed w/ the various media reports of the products you unveiled & immediately went onto my Sprint Pre to see the website promo video. It was on your site in "Flash" format.
    (See: "not avail. on WebOS now")
    "Just a Small Oversight", I thought.
    I tried to call your HP-Palm Customer Service to see if that could be addressed. I went through the voice prompts, only to be transferred to the "Product Tech Line",(3x). "OK, no problem."
    So I wrote an email describing the issue, figuring that HP was simply overwhelmed w/ calls. Then I realized that our beloved "Palm" name pretty much vanished.
    "Saddening, but understandable."
    Then I noticed that "Gestures" doesn't appear to exist on the new lineup.
    "Hmm, that's not good. It's a great multi-task feature."
    Last night I discovered:
    "HP has no intentions of releasing WebOS 2.0 as an OTA upgrade for older WebOS products, along w/ no "Flash", nor will it see any major WebOS upgrades in the future..."
    A weak apology was offered on your Official Palm Product Website Blog, offering us only more empty promises. (bangs head against wall).

It would seem that either HP does not fully understand how devoted the Palm faithful are to WebOS, or that HP simply doesn't care & wrote us all off as an acceptable casualty of Business... If so, then you made a massively gross error in your judgment of the repercussions.

I am a proud Pre owner, a Pixi for my Bride-to-Be, & I bought her a HP G72-253NR Notebook this past Summer, partially because of HP's Palm acquisition. I utilize HP printers at home & at work. I even use my own tagline: "Palm Pre, Productivity in Your's..." on my Pre emails. I've contemplated buying HP stock, in anticipation of the Pre3, Veer, & TouchPad release. I was convinced of its success, but now I am not so sure...

The amount of customer time, energy, money, & creativity involved in keeping WebOS alive thus far, has been simply amazing. We still proudly held onto our Pre's and Pixi's, hoping for the long-promised "New" phone, ...even as our "Old Palm Legacy" phones quite literally fall apart in our hands. Many devotees have even resorted to buying used Pre's and Pixi's in serviceable shape, just to bide their time. We've waited far too long & held onto our phones because of YOUR promises for a "soon-to-be" WebOS 2.0 & "Flash" OTA to "Bridge the new WebOS Phone-Gap". How long can many of us wait for our carriers to get the new Pre3 or Veer? (if at all?) (PS The WebOS 2.0 upgrade-promise is still even posted on your Palm Canada site, asking for the serial number.)

So now we have no bridge, a bunch of broken promises, dying phones, and promised new-products with an unknown release date on unknown carriers and the entire WebOS World is aflame with anger, check ANY WebOS blogosphere.

Please try to rectify this immediately or you will surely watch your $1.2 Billion Dollar purchase go right down the toilet. Many Palm faithful do not wish for bad upon HP, we truly LOVE WebOS and had very high hopes for HP-Palm's success. We would love nothing more than to see HP WebOS reach its potential being.

Longtime Palm Product owner/devotee
    Brother Al
    ------------------------------------------------------

I got a call the other night from an area code-number I didn't recognize... Let it go to voicemail & listened to it later on... I was very impressed that HP took the time to respond by phone to my email letter of concern. Not only that, but he pronounced my last name 100% correctly... And with the 100% correct French pronunciation even. NEVER has a business-caller ever done that.
    Again, NO! It wasn't from a call center person reading from some scripted reply sheet. The guy sounded fairly genuine, hint of a Texas-like accent, & there was ZERO background noise. He was well spoken & by his tone & inflection, seemed as though he was at the least, a mid-level manager and genuinely apologetic. I have also NEVER received a call from any company like this one, wished I'd answered it. I tried to call it but it goes straight to an HP phone system prompt directory... The unfortunate thing though is that he did not leave his name, so I cannot Thank or give him credit.
    Here is a transcription of the call, word for word. At face value without the inflection or tone, it loses much...

"Hi, this message is for Al ...(100% correctly pronounces my last name)..., and we received your email at HP regarding OS2 updates.. or the lack thereof And we do apologize for the situation.. but we did want to contact and apologize for the situation and thank you for your feedback... And we will certainly pass these comments along to our engineering department... Um, I don't know what they are working on or if there will be anything forthcoming or announced so I will also recommend to please monitor our website for any future updates, and if the situation were to change.. But again, we do apologize for the.. For the problems and for how this rolled out... But.. uh, we do appreciate your feedback so thank you for the feedback and have yourself a great day... (sound of slight hangup fumble)."

Quite a genuine & apologetic person to person call...
    Last edited by Brother Al; 02/17/2011 at 05:01 PM. Reason: corrected title
    "Palm, Productivity in Your's..."

God Bless and Travel Well!

Prius, Proof that People Will Buy Anything... Baaaa!
    Thanks.
    This part tells me that there are no current plans to provide "something special" to current owners or the caller would have repeated that promise. Instead he had to pause ("um") and then add the next thought.

"Um, I don't know what they are working on or if there will be anything forthcoming or announced"

Also to make clear, it seems like the mid-level managers are consistently miserable about this lack of continuity with the current customers and the broken promises. The issue seems to be the top leadership do not feel moved in the same way.
  3.    #3  
    True, but again I heavily stress that the written text does no justice to his tone or the inflection in his voice. I also am thinking, based on the the "um" which was more of a human stumble than an "Um, I got nothing", that perhaps there is a LOT more to this than he could say. I think that there may be a power struggle of sorts between Palm longtimers & HP beancounters.

4.    #4  
    PS, this small honest & sincere token of apology is enough to make me wait & see, after all, my Pre still works... LOL!

I, too, have a had phone call in response to an e-mail to the CEO of HP. The caller said he will call me back. It sounded like someone from the UK division (which makes sense since that's where I am). I'll report back if/when the follow-up call has happened.

Perhaps the squeaky wheels are about to be greased ?
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    I got a direct call from Sprint, and they were quite professional and responsive. They did not promise to make any changes, but they did respond.
    Got my call back this morning. It was from a first level customer support rep. who didn't know anything about the problem and offered to refer me to a 2nd tier tech. support rep. He was apologetic about the poor experience, but I guess this is just the corporate script for problems they don't fully understand.

Clearly the issue hasn't been promulgated within HP yet.
    Last edited by marshalla99; 02/18/2011 at 06:18 AM.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    If customer service middle management doesn't know what high-up executives are cooking up, THAT IS PROOF THAT NOTHING IS BEING COOKED UP!

HP SCREWING US AGAIN!!!!! :shakes fist:
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    If customer service middle management doesn't know what high-up executives are cooking up, THAT IS PROOF THAT NOTHING IS BEING COOKED UP!

customer service usually doesn't know what's being cooked up, until just before it's announced. That's the ONLY way to prevent leaks.
    I'm willing to bet that the HP rep who called you must have been a hockey fan to pronounce French names correctly!
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Talk is cheap.
    "Visits? Well that would indicate visitors."
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Thanks.
    This part tells me that there are no current plans to provide "something special" to current owners or the caller would have repeated that promise. Instead he had to pause ("um") and then add the next thought.

"Um, I don't know what they are working on or if there will be anything forthcoming or announced"

Also to make clear, it seems like the mid-level managers are consistently miserable about this lack of continuity with the current customers and the broken promises. The issue seems to be the top leadership do not feel moved in the same way.
    It's this very type of response that forces the silliness that we're seeing now.

No, you're wrong. That part does not tell you that "there are no current plans to provide 'something special' to current users". At least, it tells no that is listening to that.

What the caller said was "I don't know what they are working on or if there will be anything forthcoming or announced". Why do you take it to mean more than what he said? Why is not acceptable for him to mean exactly what he said, that he doesn't know?
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post

Nosir. I disagree. A perfect example of why I'm OK with this is what happened with Lisa at the event on the 9th.

She expressed what had been discussed as a possible solution, not knowing that Ruby had already decided against that - offering WebOS Dr as a solution. As soon as she heard that plan had been vetoed by someone with more rank, she let folks know the situation.

And she's now accused of lying.

If I were an employee of HP, until there was definite word of exactly what was going to be done, my answer would be "I don't know what is going to be done", even if I was 99% sure what they were going to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If I were an employee of HP, until there was definite word of exactly what was going to be done, my answer would be "I don't know what is going to be done", even if I was 99% sure what they were going to do.
    Generally it's not about what you do know but more or less what you can and can't say...often it's a very thin line and you'd rather caution on not saying enough rather than saying to much.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Al View Post
    PS, this small honest & sincere token of apology is enough to make me wait & see, after all, my Pre still works... LOL!
    it's so ironic that companies spend millions of dollars to find ways to keep customers, and all they need to do is show some understanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    It's this very type of response that forces the silliness that we're seeing now.

No, you're wrong. That part does not tell you that "there are no current plans to provide 'something special' to current users". At least, it tells no that is listening to that.

What the caller said was "I don't know what they are working on or if there will be anything forthcoming or announced". Why do you take it to mean more than what he said? Why is not acceptable for him to mean exactly what he said, that he doesn't know?
    Its not acceptable, because it is his job to respond to the customer request and try to solve the problem. For example, I left a voicemail for a VP of Personal Banking with a problem I had. She had her marketing manager call me back the same day. He confirmed that I was correct about the problem. He discussed it with me and will then go to another dept to see if he can fix it or if it is too late. He then said he would call me back and he gave a date for it. He did not say to me "Um, I don't know..." and leave it at that, he is going to resolve the issue for me one way or another, I believe it should be in my favor but we will find out and we will find this out in a specific timeframe, 3 days from now.
    When people whose job it is to respond to customers don't provide a resolution, it is because none exists. That is not to say, that some time down the line that upper mgt may fashion a definite plan to "do something" rather than have a vague intention that may or may not pan out, I just wouldn't count on it. Counting on it would be the "silliness."
    Also, given the track record here in how mgt broke the news, I am inclined to go this way. HP needs to really listen and understand this to create good customer relations.
    As an aside, I hold absolutely no ill will towards HP/Palm middle mgt who were obviously caught inside an unclear process.
    Last edited by bluenote; 02/18/2011 at 05:53 PM.
    Bringing up this thread as I think it is quite fitting. I sent an Email to Palm yesterday, basically because I am ****ed... and bored. So I wasn't expecting to hear anything back, as the Email was basically pointing at the bad hardware quality, lack of releases and the making things right promise.

Now funny thing is, I received a phone call from a blocked number within 60 minutes of my Email. Palm EUROPEAN customer support (living in Germany). But... this is all I can report positive, the rest of the call was mess:

The Euro support seems to be located somewhere eastern, the lady had a very czech accent in her german. This is quite common in Euro, czech call centers are cheap and big companies like Dell moved there looong time ago. It was quite impressive to notice in under a minute how this lady had NO knowledge AT ALL of Palm products and webOS. She kept talking of things like "We Boss", and it took me a while to figure she meant "web OS", but pronounced it "we Boss"..... argh!

About my hardware issues and my interest to upgrade to some better hardware from my Pre-, she was explaining that the wait should be over "in a few days", because "the Pre 2 will be released". Nothing to memorize, I am sure she was just guessing that something will be released some day, and she didn't know what or when. So... as uninformed as a customer service rep could be.

She then asked me to be patient. Argh! I told her that I (we) are patient for MONTHS, and the new phones plus the making it right **** was promised back in February. And then she pulled her secret ninja card which I believe she pulls whenever someone is unhappy: she told me of a website where I should "look in the next couple of days". As I was in the car during the call, I wasn't able to look it up right away, but the URL was pretty familar with me: palm.com/webos-info.

You know, that website where you can enter your serial to check for updates. And hey, that is all she came up with. Too bad I couldn't check the URL during the call, as I would have loved to hear what she has to say when I tell her that this website is just telling me "Palm Pre on O2 network".

Well. I basically wanted to share with you guys what the experience with the euro support is. It totally fits into the Palm Global Stupidness enterprise. Thanks.