1.    #1  
    I have been a Palm user (Treo 700p) but went to and am sporting an Omnia (Windows 6.1). I like both the WebOs look and feel (I actually sold a Pre Plus in the local Verizon store since the store clerk didn't know much about it) and the new windows phone OS but alas, Verizon doesn't look like they're going to have WP7 for some time now. My phone is beat and my new every two is burning a hole in my pocket. I look to this forum to convince me to go WebOs (saw the Feb 9 HP announcement and love the touchpad and pre3 sharing capabilities) based on my usage. Yes I've been here on the precentral site for some time but I have a couple of concerns. Here's how I use my phone:

It has my life in it - period. My calendars and contacts are pretty much run from an exchange server and a lesser calendar on Yahoo. All of my exchange contacts have been uploaded to Hotmail and gmail. How well does WebOs support an exchange account? Will these contacts duplicate as I add the other e-mail accounts?

I use twitter and very little facebook. Word/Office services and many functions off of kinoma player. I listen to pocasts and stream video over the phone and manage all of my e-mail accounts (5) over the phone.

How easy is it to move my data onto the Pre (looking at the 2 for $99 or the 3 if I can wait that long) and do I need to set up a Hpalm account to make this all happen? BTW if I buy the Pre2 will it be able to comunicate with a touchpad the way the Pre3 and touchpad were demo'ed? Thanks for your help forum. I know you'll be helpful.
    You'll have to set up an HPalm account regardless, as part of the initial phone setup.

WebOS should work fine for your needs. The only concern I would have is that, since WebOS pulls contacts and appointments from both Exchange and Gmail, and you have them on both, there is a possibility of ending up with duplicates on all of them. ThatLs just speculation on my part, however, so maybe someone in a situation more similar to yours could shed some more light on that.

If it were me, however, I think I would probably make sure I had all my appt.s and contacts in Exchange, and delete them from Google, then let the HPalm account propagate them to your phone and to Google.

If someone has better info, hopefully they will chime in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    The only concern I would have is that, since WebOS pulls contacts and appointments from both Exchange and Gmail, and you have them on both, there is a possibility of ending up with duplicates on all of them. ThatLs just speculation on my part, however, so maybe someone in a situation more similar to yours could shed some more light on that.
    Well, if it works equally between Gmail and Facebook contacts, and I think it does, it won't duplicate them, but rather, have just one contact with several profiles. It works nicely most of the time (at least in my case).
    True it does seem to do OK with contacts, although it thinks my brother and my father are the same person since they have the same name. I haven't found a way to split them apart yet.

Not sure if it would do OK with appointments though. I tried to sync my Gmail calendar to my Outlook once with some other 3rd-party software (nothing to do with Palm) and ended up with duplicates in Outlook and Gmail, so that's what I'd be afraid of.

Surely someone has done this and can give a more definite answer. Anyone?
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  5.    #5  
    You folks are great! One of my big questions too is will the pre2 be able to act like the prre3 did in the demo w the touchpad? I'm leaning WebOs...
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    True it does seem to do OK with contacts, although it thinks my brother and my father are the same person since they have the same name. I haven't found a way to split them apart yet.

Not sure if it would do OK with appointments though. I tried to sync my Gmail calendar to my Outlook once with some other 3rd-party software (nothing to do with Palm) and ended up with duplicates in Outlook and Gmail, so that's what I'd be afraid of.

Surely someone has done this and can give a more definite answer. Anyone?
    If you create two separate contacts for your brother and father they will be on separate contacts. If webos puts them together for some reason, just unlink the profiles by going to the contact in the contacts app and tap on the name at the top (don't select edit) then select the profile to unlink.
    As for google and outlook calendars, I'm pretty sure you can use google calendar sync on the desktop to pull from your outlook then outlook will see google entries, but when you sign into webos with you outlook and google calenars separately it will recognize one from the other. If not, then just select not to view the one you don't want from the calendar prefrences on your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by FidelitySyndrom View Post
    If you create two separate contacts for your brother and father they will be on separate contacts. If webos puts them together for some reason, just unlink the profiles by going to the contact in the contacts app and tap on the name at the top (don't select edit) then select the profile to unlink.
    Thanks for that. I unlinked my dad from the contact, and now I have two separate contacts. My brother's contact is correctly linked, however my dad's contact is not linked at all and has only an email address. Fine, just add everything to his contact, right? But when I add my dad's cell phone number in manually, it re-links the two back together. I don't know how to fix this.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    NM I figured it out. I don't think I can properly explain what it was doing or how I fixed it, but I did. :P When I would add a number to my dad's contact, it would create a new Google profile and link it to my brother's contact. So I had to go back to my brother, unlink it again, and then force it to link with my dad.

Not sure if I explained it correctly, but it is fixed.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  9.    #9  
    I had a chance to call Verizon tech support as to whether he Pre2 will share data and phone connections as the Pre3 did with the TouchPad. Verizon tech didn't even know about the interplay that HP displayed on 2/9 but though it was cool and would look into it. He then had me calm Palm set-up. The first tech wasn't sure but said that they should be backwards compatable.He then spoke with a level two tech support person who said, we don't know but it should be backwards compatible. I believe I'll wait for the Pre3...