Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Yes, i know what HP said about the legacy Pres (and i agree with you; it shouldn't have been said), but in all actuality, it was Palm that did virtually all of the promise-breaking and heartbreaking from January of '09 through last summer, wouldn't you agree?
    (Okay, you could throw Adobe in there too.)

In reality, HP has nothing to do with webOS as we know it to be right now. They are also not attached to your Pres nor Pixis. They took-over a company that was.
    We paid our hard-earned dollars to who, HP? No- to PALM.

HP owes you nothing because (except for a sound-byte probably taken out of context) they did not lead you on month-to-month like Palm did. They really didn't say much at all, did they?

Palm consistently told you throughout webOS' existence, that both core functionality and PIM were being worked on... but did we ever see the fruits of that so-called labor? That's a matter of opinion, but i think the answer is fairly obvious.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 02/17/2011 at 07:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ••dbdoinit View Post
    Yes, i know what HP said about the legacy Pres (and i agree with you; they shouldn't have said it), but in all actuality, it was Palm that did virtually all of the promise-breaking and heartbreaking from January of '09 through last summer, wouldn't you agree?

In reality, HP has nothing to do with webOS as we know it to be right now. They are also not attached to your Pres or Pixis. They tookover a company that was. HP owes you nothing because (except for a sound-byte probably taken out of context) they did not lead you on month-to-month like Palm did. They really didn't say much at all, did they?

Palm consistently told you throughout webOS' existence, that core functionality and PIM was being worked on... but did we ever see the fruits of that so-called labor? That's a matter of opinion, but i think the answer is fairly obvious.
    Here .. Here..

i always say that HP couldve bought palm and Killed webOS .. they made NO promises to keep it going.. yes they said they would dbl down.. but if they felt a month later that it would not benefit their shareholders to keep the smartphone division, what than?? by buying palm they made a "promise" to you??
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Well, then, has HP done anything to deserve the support, confidence in, and admiration of anyone here? If someone says things like "HP is a boring company that also makes a lot of cheap plastic consumer junk - especially the smartphones", why does anyone come to their defense?

Has HP done anything for you?
    personally its not defense for me its more like lets give em a chance.. and hope they dont repeat those mistakes.. but if they failed after this chance, to make webOS what it should be and what they can make it out to be using their pull, (giving it a chance means waiting 6-8 months from release of their ecosystem) , than i say the pitchforks should and would come out
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    reading all of the posts about everything stemming from feb 9th...there will always be an excuse for HP...they didnt have the resources(joke), they didnt inherit palms business practices, they didnt have much time to develop, they are rebuilding webos from ground up, it takes time, lets see if they repeat their mistakes, why abandon when they have superior OS, they made donation of server

why are they being defended so much? they have not delivered (palm or HP) on anything they have said they would or will, it has been miss after miss after miss. i love webos, hell i stuck with it after the slow updates, horrid hardware and unfulfilled claim after claim.

They have had a few years, and HP has had plenty of time to come up with something (considering their considerable resources) and have not. I have no issue with people sticking with webos, i just dont understand why they are defending the company that does not understand how to defend or run itself? They are making the mistakes, and the consumers are reacting to it, unless you are personally invested in them, i dont see why the support is so heavy for so many failures?
    Well, then, has HP done anything to deserve the support, confidence in, and admiration of anyone here? If someone says things like "HP is a boring company that also makes a lot of cheap plastic consumer junk - especially the smartphones", why does anyone come to their defense?

Has HP done anything for me? Nope. Doesn't matter much since I'm using a different mobile OS for now. I'll come back once they get everything settled. lol
    Haters will hate and ''Defendors'' will defend - it is their nature.

Both have their resense for it and wont change their mind.

I will neither cry 'I am leaving - forever! When i close the door i wont come back, no, really i will be gone. Dont stop me. Just a few days and i will go. Yeah. You will never hear or see me after that. You just crossed the line...' nor try to convince people to stick with webos. I will use and enjoy my homebrewed webos pixi and see what will happen in the next 9 months. I am not running after new smartphones like a hungry dog after a bones. I use what i like as long as it fits me. After that only time will tell if there is a new webos pearl or a BB Pearl 4G or even a IPhone nano.

Companies are neither evil nor your friend. They are workingplaces for other people and their aim is money. Feed them if they deserve it, let them be eaten by others if they are not.

Always remeber, if HP fails, there are some people really good at inventing something already invented.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Has HP done anything for me? Nope. Doesn't matter much since I'm using a different mobile OS for now. I'll come back once they get everything settled. lol
    The poster probably made the odd asumption that the reader would be a user of a webOS device.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    The poster probably made the odd asumption that the reader would be a user of a webOS device.
    I'm still a user of a webOS device. My Pre- pretty much sits in a drawer, but I do play with it sometimes! I was hoping to get an official 2.0 release for it though... lol
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by daforrds View Post
    reading all of the posts about everything stemming from feb 9th...there will always be an excuse for HP...they didnt have the resources(joke), they didnt inherit palms business practices, they didnt have much time to develop, they are rebuilding webos from ground up, it takes time, lets see if they repeat their mistakes, why abandon when they have superior OS, they made donation of server

why are they being defended so much? they have not delivered (palm or HP) on anything they have said they would or will, it has been miss after miss after miss. i love webos, hell i stuck with it after the slow updates, horrid hardware and unfulfilled claim after claim.

They have had a few years, and HP has had plenty of time to come up with something (considering their considerable resources) and have not. I have no issue with people sticking with webos, i just dont understand why they are defending the company that does not understand how to defend or run itself? They are making the mistakes, and the consumers are reacting to it, unless you are personally invested in them, i dont see why the support is so heavy for so many failures?
    Please re-read post #1.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    No, they owe us nothing. However, when they purchased Palm, a certain portion of the value is listed as "goodwill" which, as defined by the business dictionary is: "is the value of the company's name and reputation, its customer relations, and other factors that, although intangible, give a concern its competitive edge and produce better-than-typical future earnings."

If they cut the cord on all current Webos users, they have in effect, reduced or destroyed the value of the goodwill they paid $1.2 billion for.

While it may not make economic sense to update existing pres (-/+) due to the costs to rewrite apps that we have already purchased, it certainly does not make sense to cast a drift the Webos customer base, don't you think? Hence, HP's talk of a special offer for the those using pre -/+ and pixis.
    Actually OP, you're possibly wrong.

When a company buys another company they take on all the purchased company's contracts, liability and other such things.

I'm not exactly sure how that plays out with future updates but it's not a brand new company that has no responsibility or ties to past hardware as you implied in your post.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Actually OP, you're possibly wrong.

When a company buys another company they take on all the purchased company's contracts, liability and other such things.
    Okay, but that's a very broad and general statement.
    I feel it is just the opposite, webOS community owes HP for saving Palm, if anyone else would have purchased Palm, it would have been for webOS and that's all. Call it HP or call it Palm but it would not be around anymore.
    Okay, but that's a very broad and general statement.
    Sorry I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. In any event it refutes your very specific statement:

"HP doesn't owe you guys ANYthing, nope, no no no."

What has ANY company done for ANYONE? In case you are not aware of it, they are all in the business to make money. They produce a product in order to get people to buy. Along the way, they all make decisions based on resources, earnings potential, philosophy, etc and we all pick a product based on how well what they produce meets our needs or "image".

Saying "HP is a boring company that also makes a lot of cheap plastic consumer junk - especially the smartphones" is probably just a way to bait someone into an argument and nobody should so stupid to take the bait and argue for a company they know nothing more about than what they read about on the web.

BUT... it is also stupid to say as well. Because 1) HP also makes quality products (see the Envy laptop) and enterprise level products as well (I and millions of others use many of them and are satisfied with them - which is why they are the size of corporation they currently are) and 2) how "boring" a company is has little to do with the quality of their products or how successful they can be.

If people stick to the merits of a discussion and not resort to baiting or mindlessly defending a company, we would all learn from each other.
    Last edited by C-Note; 02/16/2011 at 01:51 PM.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Sorry I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. In any event it refutes your very specific statement:

"HP doesn't owe you guys ANYthing, nope, no no no."
    Ohhhh, now you're not a lawyer...... lol.
    THEY OWE ME A....shrubbery?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I feel it is just the opposite, webOS community owes HP for saving Palm, if anyone else would have purchased Palm, it would have been for webOS and that's all. Call it HP or call it Palm but it would not be around anymore.
    Although you might be taking that angle a little too far, i have to agree.
    Yes, i know what HP said about the legacy Pres (and i agree with you; it shouldn't have been said), but in all actuality, it was Palm that did virtually all of the promise-breaking and heartbreaking from January of '09 through last summer, wouldn't you agree?

In reality, HP has nothing to do with webOS as we know it to be right now. They are also not attached to your Pres or Pixis. They took-over a company that was.
    We paid our hard-earned dollars to who, HP? No- to PALM.

HP owes you nothing because (except for a sound-byte probably taken out of context) they did not lead you on month-to-month like Palm did. They really didn't say much at all, did they?

Palm consistently told you throughout webOS' existence, that both core functionality and PIM were being worked on... but did we ever see the fruits of that so-called labor? That's a matter of opinion, but i think the answer is fairly obvious.
    In principle, I agree. I would in practice, too, if today were Feb. 8.

But on the next day, HP did break the first and most important promise they gave - from the mouth of Leo Apotheker - in regard to "shipping" dates. And the indeterminate way they did it pretty much echoed the fearsome spectre of Palm 2009 where a six month wait killed a lot of buzz and helped cripple an already shaky product.

So naturally, people think "Meet the New Boss....Same as the Old Boss".

It's on HP to prove them wrong since they led with a blunder. Do they "owe" it to WebOS users? Nah. But it might help them with this massive reboot that they're pinning their mobile future on. Maybe a little...
    The whole premise of the OP's post is silly. It doesn't state if he is talking about legally obligated, morally obligated or something else.

If he's talking about whether HP is legally obligated, better ask a lawyer.
    If he's talking about whether HP is morally obligated, then he's missing the point and please see below...

HP want's WebOS to succeed and to get people excited about their products. If they do anything for current WebOS owners it's not going to be from any moral obligation but from the perspective of business sense. Obviously if you have a bunch of current customers complaining and blogging about how awful HP is being towards them you would want to mitigate that. I think HP is going to do whatever they can to appease WebOS customers to the point that it makes business sense. They will give us nothing more or less.

HP is a company, not your neighbor who borrowed your lawnmower 8 months ago.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast