1.    #1  
    As we finally start to see a glimmer of new webOS devices, which competitors do you think HP should be most worried about? Which competitors do you believe HP actually IS most worried about? iPhone? Android? Blackberry? Microsoft?

I don't think so. While I'm sure HP would love to produce a killer phone, that's never been their primary focus, nor is it a requirement for HP to consider webOS a successful purchase. HP believes that phone sales might help drive PC/printer sales, but HP isn't sure. Now, with webOS, HP will find out, and it will find out before its real competitors -- Dell, Acer, Lenovo, etc.

The noise about making HP cool, etc., has been a small piece of HP's message. Most of HP's message has been, "we're buying webOS primarmily for stuff other than smartphones." I therefore was pleasantly surprised to see the proposed specs for the Veer, Pre3 and TouchPad. But I won't be surprised if HP decides at some point to abandon the phone biz. The phone business will never be more than a lone cookie at the HP buffet, and everyone knows that. If phones don't support their primary business, why bother?
    - Bubba
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaHooska View Post
    As we finally start to see a glimmer of new webOS devices, which competitors do you think HP should be most worried about? Which competitors do you believe HP actually IS most worried about? iPhone? Android? Blackberry? Microsoft? ...snip
    Easy answer: ALL

Answer to second half, it's not about phones, it's about mobility. The phone is just part of the equation.
    if that were the case they would license webos for phones just to have more devices compatible with their pc/printer hardware. They will keep making the phones so that they can control the ecosystem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    if that were the case they would license webos for phones just to have more devices compatible with their pc/printer hardware. They will keep making the phones so that they can control the ecosystem.
    How do you know they won't?
    easy answer. Verizon, At&t, and sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    easy answer. Verizon, At&t, and sprint.
    Easy assumption.
    seems like the carriers have been palm's biggest problem. How is that an assumpton?
    My reply got deleted (!) and Im sorry if I did use some English words wrong, my first language is Swedish... My "old" reply with another third word...

This is crazy... Why speculate and draw wild conclusions, when you can suggest things that might help webOS become great instead.

Okay I did that yesterday and my long sincere list on 15 vital problems and limitations that should (or must) be fixed by HP to make webOS superior (including many easy solutions) was suddenly deleted and a days hard work was thrown away... So people here, maybe only want to complain??!!

My guess is anyhow that a success for the phone part is VERY important for HP just because it will affect the desire for their other products too... Positively if they manage to make webOS very popular and very negatively if they fail.
    i dont think phil is worried about anything at all

this is his words

I don’t think we’re taking away. The market is in expansion – it’s not like we’re all at a stable market and, therefore, everybody’s trading market share. For us the advantage is we’re in 174 countries. We’ve got supply chain logistics, 88,000 retails stores. We’re one of the largest consumer electronics companies in the world simply by the shelf space we control in retail on a global basis. So our reach is what really allows us to bring scale to the equation.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    How do you know they won't?
    When people were speculating on that last year, HP flat out said in reply they won't license out webOS to other companies.
    if hp sold just one item a day at each one of the 88,000 stores with webos on it for 1 whole year they would just from their stores have 32 million wedOS devices out in the consumers hands not including their phones !! lol i dont think HP is worried at all !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaHooska View Post
    As we finally start to see a glimmer of new webOS devices, which competitors do you think HP should be most worried about? Which competitors do you believe HP actually IS most worried about? iPhone? Android? Blackberry? Microsoft?
    If Apple stays it's current course of alienating content providers, I don't think they'll need to worry about them as much...
    HP won't ever abandon smartphones because they're the centerpiece of mobile computing.

I hate the "guilty until proven innocent, and then probably still guilty" attitudes on these forums. When Mark Hurd said "we didn't buy Palm to become a smartphone company", of course that didn't mea "we won't be selling smartphones".

I, for example, did not buy my Pre as an mp3 player. I still use it as one every day. I'm using it to do EVERYTHING with. So is HP. WebOS is capable above and beyond smartphones, and you guys are trying to be angry (or make others angry) that HP isn't just selling phones, like Nokia?

Had Hurd said "we bought Palm to be in the smartphone business", the schtick would now be 'well, they announced the TouchPad, but that's probably it. Remember, HP only wants smartphones and has no further vision.'