Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
       #1  

    "If you look at our device pipeline for 2011, we have very strong relationships with LG, Samsung, Motorola, HTC, and now Apple," he said. "So I think it would take a really compelling device from Nokia or any new vendor to break in. It doesn't mean that it can't happen, but it would have to be really good.

    The bottom line, Melone said, is that Verizon has what it needs from its current partners. I don't think Verizon needs the Nokia and Microsoft relationship," he said. "Right now the three OS players we see for our network are Android, Apple, and RIM. "

    Melone also noted that WebOS from Palm, which is now owned by Hewlett-Packard, is a potential wild card in the OS wars.

    "If HP decides to license WebOS that could also become a third or fourth player that is used by OEMs," he said. "I'm more optimistic with WebOS developing into a strong player, just based on the strength of the OS. It has some very unique and good characteristics."

    Microsoft's ecosystem is a tough sell to Verizon | Mobile World Congress - CNET Reviews
  2. #2  
    Nice endorsement, thanks.

    What I'm thinking now is that Rubenstein said the merger caused them to "miss a product cycle." I'm also recalling some link to Verizon's website that showed a 4G phone being tested now on Verizon.

    So my guess is there is a possibility that both Sprint and AT&T will pick up the Pre3 while Verizon waits for the next iterations early next year.
  3. #3  
    My guess is that the Nokia use of Windows Phone 7 will be Europe centric.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  4. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    My guess is that the Nokia use of Windows Phone 7 will be Europe centric.
    That doesn't fit with their sacking and replacing their head of USA sales last week and (from I've just hear on a podcast) plans to move the Senior management team to the US.
  5. #5  
    Moving management to the US doesn't change the fact that Nokia is Nokia because of Europe, not the US.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    "If HP decides to license WebOS that could also become a third or fourth player that is used by OEMs,"
    Sounds like VZW isn't interested in WebOS unless HP lets it loose to other manufacturers. Not sure how likely that is to happen.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Sounds like VZW isn't interested in WebOS unless HP lets it loose to other manufacturers. Not sure how likely that is to happen.
    I read that as a wish, not necessarily a precondition. Both Apple and Rim make their own phones, yes, and Verizon likes both of them? If the phone is made by other manufacturers, that might give Verizon more choice of hardware for consumers and/or might make less power concentrated in the hands of its phone partner, not sure which.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Moving management to the US doesn't change the fact that Nokia is Nokia because of Europe, not the US.
    To expand on my opinion here:

    I don't recall the last time I saw or cared about Nokia phones, and I know that is an opinion shared by a lot of people State-side. Now, will Nokia launch a token phone here and there in the US? Of course, but will Nokia launch mulitple devices on multiple carriers in a crowded field in the US? I doubt it, only because it would require them giving less attention to their money making market in Europe.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    To expand on my opinion here:

    I don't recall the last time I saw or cared about Nokia phones, and I know that is an opinion shared by a lot of people State-side. Now, will Nokia launch a token phone here and there in the US? Of course, but will Nokia launch mulitple devices on multiple carriers in a crowded field in the US? I doubt it, only because it would require them giving less attention to their money making market in Europe.
    I think Elop is way more serious about this than other Nokia chiefs in the pasts, and they did say he met with Verizon and other US carriers very recently. I wouldn't count it out.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I read that as a wish, not necessarily a precondition. Both Apple and Rim make their own phones, yes, and Verizon likes both of them? If the phone is made by other manufacturers, that might give Verizon more choice of hardware for consumers and/or might make less power concentrated in the hands of its phone partner, not sure which.
    I don't read it as a precondition either, but I think he is saying they have to capture way more marketshare and more sales momentum for Verizon to consider them a serious player worth catering to among Samsung, Moto, Apple, etc. Those brands sell LOTS of devices for Verizon. In the millions per quarter. I think HP is going to have to prove that potential elsewhere (AT&T, Sprint) before Verizon will let them sit at the Grown-up table, and they'll have to do it before Windows 7 gains significant traction and grabs that spot.

    For proof...see the "launch" of the Palm Pre 2....if you can find it, that is.
  11. #11  
    No I think it was more what Mikah said. WebOS has been around for a long time, but it has failed to capture a decent size of the market share. I think VZW is saying that unless WebOS captures more market share, it isn't interested. And since it hasn't done it remaining the territory of a single hardware manufacturer, it needs to be licensed to other OEMs if it wants to gain momentum.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I think Elop is way more serious about this than other Nokia chiefs in the pasts, and they did say he met with Verizon and other US carriers very recently. I wouldn't count it out.
    I still only see them trying to enter the market in the US, not some life altering strategy shift. We'll see though. They obviously can't continue the way the have in the past. I still can't see them getting away from the Euro centric business model.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I have a feeling that if you're Verizon, you probably feel that you can largely determine what kind of marketshare a platform achieves. Take a look at what he's saying - he's not making a comment on potential marketshare, rather, he's commenting on what Verizon will offer in its catalog of hardware. He's saying that the hardware isn't good enough.
    Sounds more to me like he's saying we want the devices that will give us more marketshare and to do that, those devices need to have the ability to draw in lots of customers.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I have a feeling that if you're Verizon, you probably feel that you can largely determine what kind of marketshare a platform achieves. Take a look at what he's saying - he's not making a comment on potential marketshare, rather, he's commenting on what Verizon will offer in its catalog of hardware. He's saying that the hardware isn't good enough.
    Verizon does have a lot of pull, but AT&T and Sprint combined - with a successful full court launch - could net them 3-4 million users in a quarter. The problems with that, however, are two fold.

    Fold #1: Evo 4G successor
    Fold #2: iPhone 4 successor.

    Each of which fall in for annual refreshes at the beginning of the HP release windows for the Palm Pre 3. Each will be the #1 priority of their respective carriers.

    Maybe petitioning T-Mobile will help.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Sounds like VZW isn't interested in WebOS unless HP lets it loose to other manufacturers. Not sure how likely that is to happen.
    yea Verizon is basically saying we need better hardware produced by known company like htc, Samsung, lg and Motorola.
  16. #16  
    my question is why in the world would Verizon still launch the Pre 2. In fact why even consider carring it at all? Def since it seems sprint passed on it (which they should have since the fact they tried to release it so late). To me in a perfect world the Pre 2 should have been launched as a refresher on sprint last march, not as a "ok coming soon" marker for carriers. Verizon has no reason to carry it so why? Also with the update to WP7 stating late march-April then still no date on CDMA versions being available to sprint and VZ, I think that hurts them tremendiously like when the Pre was announced and launched 7 months later...oh wait that may be the case for the Pre 3 too which hopefully isnt the case.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by electrical1213 View Post
    yea Verizon is basically saying we need better hardware produced by known company like htc, Samsung, lg and Motorola.
    no I dont think thats what their saying, I think they def mean though better hardware and specs, which is what HP is bringing to the table. I believe even if the Pre 3 is released this summer, with the specs and hardware they are bringing, and the Idea HP is now behind it, carriers will give Webos another shot just not like micah said at the grown peoples table. It will be available, but with no carrier specific marketing, and prob on display, but mixed in with the rest of their inventory. It'll be up to HP to wooo the market.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    my question is why in the world would Verizon still launch the Pre 2. In fact why even consider carring it at all? Def since it seems sprint passed on it (which they should have since the fact they tried to release it so late). To me in a perfect world the Pre 2 should have been launched as a refresher on sprint last march, not as a "ok coming soon" marker for carriers. Verizon has no reason to carry it so why? Also with the update to WP7 stating late march-April then still no date on CDMA versions being available to sprint and VZ, I think that hurts them tremendiously like when the Pre was announced and launched 7 months later...oh wait that may be the case for the Pre 3 too which hopefully isnt the case.
    I honestly think it's just contractual obligation at this point. Verizon's CTO made their view of anyone but Apple, Android and RIM perfectly clear in comments today.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I honestly think it's just contractual obligation at this point. Verizon's CTO made their view of anyone but Apple, Android and RIM perfectly clear in comments today.
    yeah def has to be contractual, and his statements of course made sense to me cause this is whats bringing home the bacon currently. As to me I think the Pre 2 will collect more dust, and overstock smh all bad timing for Webos still.
  20. #20  
    and the rain keeps pouring on WP7, now moto states they dont think they will be using WP7 either:

    Motorola exec nearly rules out Windows Phone completely, laments 'closed platform' -- Engadget
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions