Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    join to talk about your feeling on HP betraying the loyal base of original WebOS users!!!
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    frustrated legions join my "Rally against HP's demolition of WebOS group!" and talk about your distaste for their handling of Palm since the acquisition!

Login | Facebook
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts

Look, I was there Wednesday played with the Veer, saw the Touchpad and Pre 3. It's obvious what happened here..

HP underestimated the resources it needed to make their deadline. We've all been there, we have all had to choose the "least bad' option.

HP was left with either dragging out the time between new and old hardware and missing two release cycles or "going for it."

And in reality, speaking for myself and I think many others. We want new hardware much more than to run webOS 2.x on a Pre or Pixi. The Veer felt amazing, ran like a dream. I was bummed about not getting 2.x on my VZW Pre+ until I had a chance to play with the future. It was seriously obvious that what's holding HP back is not hardware development aside from the Touchpad. They need the resources to polish/optimize 2.x for phones and some serious resources to get 3.x ready...because wow they're not close at all with that one.

I realize you guys feel stung, but complaining about HP trying to give themselves a chance to compete is really silly.
    It's amazing how butthurt people get on this forum.
    HP thought they could do something they couldn't.ish happens. its just a phone.
    +1
    - Bubba
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    If you are still on the bandwagon, i understand, i still love the OS, but HP is digging a hole. They should not have said legacy devices will not get the update until they had a plan for what they would do for those users, although there would have still been "outrage."

the one thing i find extremely funny is that people continue to talk about how the need to focus their resources on polishing the OS not on legacy, HP loves to talk about its resources, it is their favorite thing to do. it seems like they could pool some more into the WebOS department if they are so "committed" to it, as they say. They dont know how to get out of their own way.
    Quote Originally Posted by daforrds View Post
    If you are still on the bandwagon, i understand, i still love the OS, but HP is digging a hole. They should not have said legacy devices will not get the update until they had a plan for what they would do for those users, although there would have still been "outrage."

the one thing i find extremely funny is that people continue to talk about how the need to focus their resources on polishing the OS not on legacy, HP loves to talk about its resources, it is their favorite thing to do. it seems like they could pool some more into the WebOS department if they are so "committed" to it, as they say. They dont know how to get out of their own way.
    I agree. We've already seen webOS 2.0 running on a Pre-. Why not let webOS 2.0 go to the Pre- with no future updates (to 2.1 etc.), but at least get users to that level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I agree. We've already seen webOS 2.0 running on a Pre-. Why not let webOS 2.0 go to the Pre- with no future updates (to 2.1 etc.), but at least get users to that level.
    2.0 has been running on overclocked Pres right? Has anyone used 2.0 on a stock pre? If 2.0 can't run on a stock pre, they cant release it. That would require everyone to know how to overclock their phones. I dont think HP/Palm will support overclocking THAT much.
    HP has definitely been between a rock in a hard place. Corporate acquisitions are a dicey business and it's not like HP were gurus on making and selling mobile devices.
    This just punctuates yet another problem companies have with "keeping their customers informed with upcoming releases". I've been working in the IT industry for 13 years now and if there's one thing I've come to realize, it's that no company can predict accurately what they'll be delivering in a months time (let alone 3). Yet customers keep complaining of not having enough info. Of not being kept in the loop or up-to-date.

If a company says they're working on the next big thing and for one reason or another (poor estimates. Has anyone heard of that?) don't make their deadline or make it at all, people would complain that they lied.

People have got to decide whether they want open and constant communication from a company they support or just the ones that are guaranteed to happen in the time frame indicated.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post

Look, I was there Wednesday played with the Veer, saw the Touchpad and Pre 3. It's obvious what happened here..

HP underestimated the resources it needed to make their deadline. We've all been there, we have all had to choose the "least bad' option.

HP was left with either dragging out the time between new and old hardware and missing two release cycles or "going for it."

And in reality, speaking for myself and I think many others. We want new hardware much more than to run webOS 2.x on a Pre or Pixi. The Veer felt amazing, ran like a dream. I was bummed about not getting 2.x on my VZW Pre+ until I had a chance to play with the future. It was seriously obvious that what's holding HP back is not hardware development aside from the Touchpad. They need the resources to polish/optimize 2.x for phones and some serious resources to get 3.x ready...because wow they're not close at all with that one.

I realize you guys feel stung, but complaining about HP trying to give themselves a chance to compete is really silly.
    Ummmm.... +1(000000000)
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    2.0 has been running on overclocked Pres right? Has anyone used 2.0 on a stock pre? If 2.0 can't run on a stock pre, they cant release it. That would require everyone to know how to overclock their phones. I dont think HP/Palm will support overclocking THAT much.
    2.0 has never been overclocked on a legacy device.
    The whole concept that updated OS do not work on older devices is an old one. Happened a few times with Palmos. Not a big deal to me. The only thing that makes this situation different is that HP promised another OS upgrade and then decided to do things that made it impossible to follow through. I think HP made the right decision on the OTA updates to the legacy devices. I am certainly disappointed but it is OK. I do not believe they are destroying the WebOS community, it is a shock but the group will react, adapt and overcome. I continue to enjoy the passion of the discussions and the innovation of the developers and do appreciate you all.
    Quote Originally Posted by daforrds View Post
    That was their plan. Unfortunately, somebody (P|C) asked them straight out at the event. What were they to do then, since the decision had been made, just outright lie?
    Quote Originally Posted by richip View Post
    ... if there's one thing I've come to realize, it's that no company can predict accurately what they'll be delivering in a months time (let alone 3). Yet customers keep complaining of not having enough info. Of not being kept in the loop or up-to-date...
    Amen, amen, and amen. People just don't get it. This is not a manufacturing process where you can determine how long it's going to take to make xyz. Programming involves lots of variables (hah, I made a joke there, and wasn't even planning on it), and most modern programming involves a team. You don't know what's going to not work right until it's all put togehter. Then, you don't know how to fix the problem until they're fixed. So basically, the only date you can predict for sure about when it's going to be done is "it's done now".
    sorry but ive already had my share of negative rants. im ready to move on. when im ready to get a new phone, ill either get a different phone or the pre 3. which ever comes first.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    That was their plan. Unfortunately, somebody (P|C) asked them straight out at the event. What were they to do then, since the decision had been made, just outright lie?
    they dont have to just lie, rather say something like "we are working on a solution for legacy owners and will be announcing our plan for them promptly" this is not rocket science for PRPRPR $people$, $they$ $just$ $dont$ $seem$ $to$ $have$ $a$ $PR$ $Dept$. $that$ $thinks$ $ahead$ $much$.

They should have realized there would be a problem, they are so taken with being cool like apple, well iphone owners were very upset the first ime these type issues came to light for them.

Is there going to be a discount code for the Pre3, touchpad, will they offer a the pre2 as an upgrade off contract at a nice rate?
    I am much more annoyed that they promised to actually have products to go to market with, and then came out with a vague "summer" timeline, with no indication that Sprint users will get anything at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    A polite "I'm sorry, I can't answer that question right now" until the alternative solution is ready would have been far better, IMNSHO.

The issue is that some of us feel let down and are frustrated by another vague promise about "making things right", when they clearly have no plan in place. It seems as if the decision was made on the day, given that HP/Palm staff don't even seem to to have been fully aware of it at the time.

It's taking far too long for the new plan to appear - and there is a suspicion that, once again, a promise made will be broken and they will not "make things right".
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast