1.    #1  
    I think lease is the right word, but you know what I mean. I never used to, but if they just set extremely strict guidelines like Microsoft did webOS would blow up. I would love an HTC or Samsung device with webOS. It would be good for HP and webOS (And us legacy users).
    I don't think this will ever happen. HP does not need webOS to succeed on phones (or even pads) in order to make good use of it. What I mean is, I honestly believe success in the mobile space (in term of mobile devices, apps, etc.) is simply a bonus for them. The real gem is to have webOS as the system for all of their devices across different product lines. A printer that might be made easier to use because it has a webOS UI will sell more ink and paper.
    webOS refrigerator !!! WTH !! lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I don't think this will ever happen. HP does not need webOS to succeed on phones (or even pads) in order to make good use of it. What I mean is, I honestly believe success in the mobile space (in term of mobile devices, apps, etc.) is simply a bonus for them. The real gem is to have webOS as the system for all of their devices across different product lines. A printer that might be made easier to use because it has a webOS UI will sell more ink and paper.
    How does having WebOS on a printer make the printer more usable?
    I get that this is something that HP is leaning towards...but someone please explain that to me because it seems like complete overkill.
    terrible idea. technology works best when everything is done in house. If you open it up, youre creating room for fragmentation.
    webos on everything ! webos will be on your home security system and you can control it from your phone !! ha ha its the ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I assume that, once the features/hooks are fully developed, having the same OS on the printer and the device would eliminate the need for printer drivers, driver updates, etc. I could imagine some people considering that to be an advantage. And of course, two-way communication would be easy, so the printer could easily communicate all sorts of status info back to the device. All over the Internet. But maybe I'm crazy ... maybe nobody would find any advantage in that sort of direct device-to-printer-to-device communication.
    - Bubba
    And then, that whole "touch to share" thing. Stupid. Why would anyone want to be able to just touch a phone to their laptop as a means to transfer lnks, photos, contacts, whatever. Silly idea. I mean, syncing and backing up has been such a no-brainer for the Pre, I can't believe anyone is even wasting brain cells on this sort of thing. HP=FAIL.
    - Bubba
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage91 View Post
    terrible idea. technology works best when everything is done in house. If you open it up, youre creating room for fragmentation.
    Fragmentation exists on all platforms, including WebOS.

I'm not saying it's a good idea to lease WebOS out I'm just saying the "worry of fragmentation" is not a good argument against it.
    Fragmentation exists now and it's an "in house" setup.
    i agree with you. I think it would be a good business decision to allow others to put webOS on great devices.

More devices = more users
    If HP adopts Qt officially, they wouldn't need to lease out or franchise webOS. They could harness Qt's open source cross-platform abilities. They could jump at an opportunity Nokia let slip. Intel is still going ahead with MeeGo and MeeGo runs Qt apps.

Qt has already been ported to webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    How does having WebOS on a printer make the printer more usable?
    I get that this is something that HP is leaning towards...but someone please explain that to me because it seems like complete overkill.
    webOS has a nice UI. The controls for a printer, fax, photocopier haven't changed for years. They work now as they are, but I'd rather a webOS interface be presented to me the next time I get a sequence of near cryptic images trying to explain where the paper jam is.

What I do not mean is trying to run a bunch of apps from my printer. Just better printer functionality presented with a better UI. That's what interests me most about HP + webOS.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Interestingly that's what the Verizon CTC thinks as well:

"If HP decides to license WebOS that could also become a third or fourth player that is used by OEMs," he said. "I'm more optimistic with WebOS developing into a strong player, just based on the strength of the OS. It has some very unique and good characteristics."
    Read more: Microsoft's ecosystem is a tough sell to Verizon | Mobile World Congress - CNET Reviews