1.    #1  
    Today i have been researching a little bit. WebOS seems not to be very efficient in its usage of cpu power. There seem to be a lot of hungry processes.

For example:
    The iphone3gs has a S5PC100 @ 600MHz vs the palm pre plus overclocked @ 1GHz still feels faster and more snappy. It is true that the 3gs has no true multitasking, but still it seems like the pre with webOS is not very efficient. HP seems to had the same feeling and is changing the framework to enyo. This is the thrid try to get more performance with a new framework.

But they dont have to reached their aim yet. I you compare a Blackberry Playbook with the TouchPad (even if it is still a beta webOS 3.0), webos is losing again. Just look at the demonstration vids of the playbook and the touchpad.

The video on the frontpage shows how this guy (Dont touch it!) wants to reply a mail. After clicking on reply it takes several second till the replycard opens up. It is a very simple process, but it still takes so much time. A demonstration of the playbook shows a NFS (Need for speed) demo running, which is than minimized to the cardview, while opening a Quake 3D demo. After booth games are open and running the tablet is still operating very smooth.

For your information: Playbook runs @ Dual Core 1,0 GHz and the TouchPad @ DC 1.2GHz

Touchpad should be faster as playbook and the pre should be faster as a iphone, but they are not. Many here are complaining about bad hardware of webOS, but it seems to be a fundamental error in webos.
    "Feels faster and more snappy" is one of those highly-subjective things. Its also one of those things that Apple spends the majority of their time.

As it is now, webOS does not do hardware acceleration for its user interface while the iPhone does. This is the largest reason why the iPhone seems to be faster.
    Another difference is in languages. iOS uses fully-compiled Objective-C, while webOS uses a mixture of Javascript and C/C++. No matter the tricks involved, a tuned compiled application will be faster than a tuned script. (I know someone is going to pull some specific benchmark to prove me wrong; don't bother) The benefit of scripted languages is usually faster development time, and a nice side-effect is patching that our homebrewers have been able to use effectively.

I'm not sure what the Playbook is doing, but its likely also hardware accelerated.

In the future, webOS is supposed to be getting hardware acceleration and everything should become smoother.

As for video demos of TouchPad and Playbook: both devices are unreleased. Either one could become faster or slower by the time they hit storeshelves (or even after updates). Trying to compare them now seems rather pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post
    But they dont have to reached their aim yet. I you compare a Blackberry Playbook with the TouchPad (even if it is still a beta webOS 3.0), webos is losing again. Just look at the demonstration vids of the playbook and the touchpad.
    Hummm... isn't the playbook a smaller screen with less pixels - doesn't that affect CPU performance?