Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    That is SPOT ON!!!!!!

Also:

Here's a point I've driven at about our loyalty to Palm:

"verwon: Sent from my eVo"
    "Palm, Productivity in Your's..."

God Bless and Travel Well!

Prius, Proof that People Will Buy Anything... Baaaa!
    Cute. Not everyone bought their phone day 1 so not everyone is ready to upgrade though. Some people bought their phones thinking they would have support which never came through.

lol @ having cracks and stuff. Solid hardware ftw!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    Cute. Not everyone bought their phone day 1 so not everyone is ready to upgrade though. Some people bought their phones thinking they would have support which never came through.

lol @ having cracks and stuff. Solid hardware ftw!
    Yea, that does kind of suck for AT&T users... Didn't the AT&T Pre Plus come out only nine months ago?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Al View Post
    That is SPOT ON!!!!!!

Also:

Here's a point I've driven at about our loyalty to Palm:

"verwon: Sent from my eVo"
    I've never once claimed to be loyal to any phone manufacturer. I've used quite a few different phones, depending on what I need at the time I'm shopping. I don't care who makes it.

You can't use someone as a loyalty example, when they never proclaimed their loyalty to begin with.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I understand that not everyone are not launch day people... But seriously... If someone just bought a webOS device, they are probably not that well informed, so they probably don't know the difference between 1.4.5 & 2.0 etc.

And lastly, for the few/many that bought something ONLY ( ) because they thought 2.0 would come to their older device, simply put: It can't run on what you have (and it not from a lack of trying on Palm's part) soooo, what else can be done?
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Yup, about right... so you can see why so many are bent. When you drop good coin, you don't expect to need a "New" phone in under a year, especially if the maker promises OTA updates to better software... a bunch of folks came to Sprint and bought into the Pre and Pixi, well after the launch, only to see them being swept under the rug.
    Some Sprint Pre owners went to Verizon and AT&T to get the Plus versions because of that...

Now its all money wasted....

Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    They even tried to be proactive by specifically telling journalist about it before anyone thought to ask...
    No, the journalists asked, and they answered candidly.

I'm disapointed about not getting new devices, but the only thing I wish in retrospective is that they would have told us sooner.

WebOS now looks like it'll be as fragmented as Android, which is partly the reason developers are ****ed - but I think that more are hurt about the whole "No more mojo, use enyo" thing, which I believe is also an overreaction.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    verwon:

Sorry, I figure that since you were on this board that.... so yes, I did assume, Sorry.
    Last edited by Brother Al; 02/12/2011 at 03:36 PM.

verwon:

Sorry, I figure that since you were on this board that.... so yes, I did assume, Sorry.
    No problem. I'm on this board because I used to have a Pre and I made many friends here. My son still has one, he loves it and wants the Pre3, which he knows he'll get if Sprint carries it.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    So MrKalel, you are saying that the people that just bought into a Pre/Pixi were stupid to believe in Palm's WebOS Product then?

Wow!

How about the loyalists that have gone from Sprint to AT&T or Verizon just to keep a Palm product because Sprint won't support them anymore?
    Sure was pretty enticing:
    A.) Buy a new and better WebOS Pre/Pixi.
    B.) Get the long-promised OTA WebOS 2 and Flash on said phones and wait until HP could get a new WebOS to market...

In light of those facts prior to this tragic HP announcement, such a decision absolutely made sense... Especially seeing as those two carriers would likely also be the ones to get the newest WebOS phone because they still supported the current ones...

Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    So MrKalel, you are saying that the people that just bought into a Pre/Pixi were stupid to believe in Palm's WebOS Product then?

Wow!

How about the loyalists that have gone from Sprint to AT&T or Verizon just to keep a Palm product because Sprint won't support them anymore?
    Sure was pretty enticing:
    A.) Buy a new and better WebOS Pre/Pixi.
    B.) Get the long-promised OTA WebOS 2 and Flash on said phones and wait until HP could get a new WebOS to market...

In light of those facts prior to this tragic HP announcement, such a decision absolutely made sense... Especially seeing as those two carriers would likely also be the ones to get the newest WebOS phone because they still supported the current ones...
    I can appreciate if you disagree with my logical points. But please don't put words in my mouth: I never once called anyone stupid. Yet.

Ohh...and it is " webOS "
    Last edited by mrkalel; 02/12/2011 at 04:10 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    The other issue with this video is that there are people with a launch day Pre that, due to having to change phone plans, became Premier members and were eligible for a new phone in June '10, so we've already been waiting 6 months rather than having to wait 6 more. I am one of those people, although 6 months into owning a launch day Pre, I hit 10 years anyhow.
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    No, the journalists asked, and they answered candidly.
    That was not my understanding. Several people from HP told me that they knew it would come up so they proactively brought several journalists aside, including Precentral and Engadget. I don't have any reference, so I'm curious if anyone from the press included that in their article?

They certainly expected to talk about it, or they wouldn't have been allowed to answer the question.

Either way, I'm anxious to see what Palm will come up with to take care of current users... because I want 2.x on my Pre+ too.
    A flash app would help,a little!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 sisters View Post
    A flash app would help,a little!
    Exactly!

That's how Android does it, and that's how Palm made it sound when they announced Flash support at CES 2010.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!! THIS MAKES SOOO MUCH SENSE.... Why do you think its too much trouble to upgrade after 2 years.....
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    The video wasn't very interesting IMO - it was just worded to make it seem to make sense. You could do these for either perspective -- it wasn't a good use of the technology as there weren't any funny things said at all -- just a dry video. At least make it funny next time!

In the end, it's silly to make people feel as though they shouldn't be upset with the lack of 2.x -- it's a valid reaction from a passionate group of users who were anticipating the release of certain major updates (flash and 2.x). This should be a lessen for HP/Palm about expectation setting and respecting their users a little more. Of course it makes sense from a business and technology standpoint that there were good reasons for them to change strategy with the OS - this doesn't take the emotion out of the passionate user. They should be more careful with what they are promising "in the coming months" if they are going to end up not delivering anything at all. This is now more of a trust issue than anything else.

The "just buy the Pre 3 in the summer" argument is a horrible one, since it assumes we trust in the future of the platform and the support of its user base. It's specifically because of the lack of Flash and 2.x that would make some of us hesitant to do it all over again. We would risk disappointment again. It's always been a situation where we are all holding onto hope that the next great apps or great features will be released any time now... and now the hopes for existing hardware are lost. Imagine what would happen if the Touchpad was released and then they never delivered it with Flash - that would be pretty much what we experienced. You invest into a product because of what it can become and it doesn't fully deliver. I still feel as if they left us wondering about Flash without any closure. At least tell us what really happened instead of hoping we forgot about it!

With better and better Android hardware emerging every couple of months and a rapidly moving set of features in the OS, it's not such a clear decision to go with WebOS in the summer.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I don't get what you are trying to imply: "What if the TouchPad is released w/ no Flash?"... All new devices from Pre 2 & up already have flash.

The arguments of "What if's" are not valid in my opinion... They just fuel anger for no reason...

& BTW, they said what really happened: 2.x is not stable & cannot run on older devices....
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    I don't get what you are trying to imply: "What if the TouchPad is released w/ no Flash?"... All new devices from Pre 2 & up already have flash.

The arguments of "What if's" are not valid in my opinion... They just fuel anger for no reason...

& BTW, they said what really happened: 2.x is not stable & cannot run on older devices....
    What I'm implying is that they've shown lots of capabilities with upcoming products (as they did with the Pre and flash)... so the question becomes do you trust the promise of marketing - flash was just an example. If you buy a product based on it's future promise, not it's feature or app set at launch, you have to trust that the company won't give up on it. I'm not implying flash might not be on the touchpad -- that what if was merely drawing an analogy to what happened when I purchased my Pre Plus. I saw the videos with flash running pretty good on the Pre Plus. Undoubtedly that was a factor in my purchase.

Who here owns a Pre2? Did you go buy one or get it for free? That's great that the Pre2 and up have Flash, but that wasn't what the roadmap was when we bought into the original devices, so that argument seems irrelevant.

I understand that 2.x is not stable -- I understand the technology and business reasons. These were decisions made that were future thinking -- they made decisions that would exclude the older devices at some point -- but obviously these were not decided when they announced all Pre devices would get the update "in coming months". So as I mentioned -- this was an expectation setting issue. If you want me to be happy that they made a great decision for their future, I'd only be happy about that if I felt satisfied as a loyal customer. If consumer trust is broken for some, it is what it is. I'm not being an angry consumer for the sake of it.

Did they say what really happened with flash officially? If any of these technologies are "not stable" it's more a matter of whether they want to allocate resources to make them stable or not. From what it seems now, 2.x has fundamentally changed at some level to exclude legacy devices. I get it - that doesn't change any sense of disappointment as I own a Pre Plus, not a Pre2, and I am always evaluating my next smart phone upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    I understand that not everyone are not launch day people... But seriously... If someone just bought a webOS device, they are probably not that well informed, so they probably don't know the difference between 1.4.5 & 2.0 etc.

And lastly, for the few/many that bought something ONLY ( ) because they thought 2.0 would come to their older device, simply put: It can't run on what you have (and it not from a lack of trying on Palm's part) soooo, what else can be done?
    What about the people that bought the phone assuming the stock apps would work properly (i.e. PDFViewer) and were expecting webOS 2.x to fix these sorts of things (since Palm never did in any of the previous updates)?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast