Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    To the Board of Directors,
    Yesterdays announcements at the HP Think Beyond Event were ground-breaking and long awaited by the WebOS community. There was, however, a tragic turn of events that I want all of you to be aware of that may cause the complete failure of WebOS and your entire WebOS product line.
    I, like many WebOS users, bought Palm devices before HP acquired the product line. We bought these products with certain expectations and understandings. One being that at some point in the future our devices would be able to access Flash content on the internet, another being that our devices would have access to Over-the-air (OTA) OS upgrades for the life of the product. These two expectations were tragically and underhandedly dismissed yesterday.
    The Think Beyond Event was a lot of great information and fanfare about products that are not yet available in the consumer market, with no information about actual timelines for release or cost. I understand the realities of needing to have product visibility to garner media and consumer coverage. In the midst of making these long overdue product announcements your company tried to hide the fact that all current products available in the U.S., the products that form the overwhelming majority of your mobile phone inventory and customers, will no longer be getting WebOS updates to the most current version. This effectively rescinds the promises made by Palm for providing Flash compatibility to our devices and by HP to provide WebOS 2.X to all existing devices.
    Please take the time to read the forums on PreCentral.net and WebOSworld.com to get some idea of the level of outrage this has caused. You have already lost a significant number of your existing customers to your competitors and are poised to lose almost all of them before you can release a single new product using WebOS. A large number of developers, who have made WebOS better and been vocal supporters of WebOS and HP, have as a result of this decision already moved on to developing for your competition’s products. The lack of upgrading current users to have access to Flash content and WebOS 2.X has effectively eliminated the customer base for developers. While WebOS 2.X will run code written in MOJO WebOS 1.4.X will not run code written in ENYO. No customer is going to spend money on software for their WebOS device that will never be able to run the newest version. No developer will write software for products that are no longer being supported by the manufacturer when there is no possible economic gain. A few developers may wait out the months waiting for Veer, Pre 3, and Touchpad to become available, but only if they are making money elsewhere and only if they have access to ENYO, which only early access developers have, and it becomes something more than an early Alpha stage development tool.
    You had an extremely loyal and knowledgeable customer base; customers that were actively educating users of competing products on the virtues of WebOS and the dedication of the developer community and the developers who were vocally and actively supporting and defending HP and WebOS. While we may only be two percent of the market share, we’re your two percent. Without your current customers how do you expect to attract new customers and developers to your products?
    There are a number of ways for HP to remedy this tragic turn of events. At the very least, all existing Pre, Pre Plus, Pixi, and Pixi Plus users should be upgraded to a new HP Pre 2 at no cost as soon as logistically possible. Additionally, HP should communicate to the carriers that this is an HP upgrade and that it should in no way effect the customer’s carrier upgrade eligibility date or their current usage plan. Once the new HP Veer, Pre 3, and Touchpad are available current customers should be afforded the opportunity to upgrade to one of these devices through their carrier during their normal upgrade cycle at no cost.
    These measures are in necessary to keep the small market share you currently enjoy and will also be a fantastic way to demonstrate to future customers that when unforeseeable events overcome expectations and promises made to customers, that HP will make things right. This will also bring the current developers back into the fold as they only have to develop for WebOS 2.X and when available 3.X without worrying that current users will be unwilling to purchase software.
    I would like to conclude by telling you how much I use and enjoy my Verizon Pre Plus. I can accomplish most online tasks without using my HP DV9000 Laptop. I have purchased extra chargers and batteries to ensure that my Pre Plus is always ready when I need it. I have never had my Pre Plus drop a call or lose data. I have really enjoyed the involvement of the Homebrew community and the developers who have created patches and applications that seem to have been written to my exact needs and desires. I currently have 144 applications loaded and 62 patches. This is in no way an indication that something was wrong with WebOS, but rather an indication of the flexibility it has to meet everyone’s needs. My wife has no patches and less than three dozen applications on her Pre Plus and uses it nearly as much as I use mine demonstrating that the phone will work for some people right out of the box and never leave them wanting and this is the first cellular phone she has owned that she did not have constant complaints about. I have been very satisfied with my Pre Plus and it has never let me down. I am excited to see the first crop of HP products based on WebOS and eager to get some hands on time with them.
    Looking forward to hearing from HP and the Board of Directors about their solution to this problem.
    Excellent letter. I think you summed up the sentiments of the community, aside from of course the ridiculous wait time for the new hardware.
    could not have said it better.
    We need to start a petition. They may be some stuff in webOS 2.x that doesn't run well on the Palm Pre/Pre Plus. But they could still deliver most of the feature set like Apple did with the iPhone and iOS 4.0.
    The company promised webOS 2.0/2.1 and a Flash beta. We are entitled to this. We deserve this. We cannot let them worm their way of out this.
    In any case it sends a message to the customer. If you don't have the latest gear we don't care about you.
    Many of us will defect to iPhone, Android and Windows Phone.
    And no developer will bother when they are only 10,000 Palm Pre 2's or whatever it is out there.
    No handsets and no network support = no apps = dead platform.
    HP should have spent that $1.2bn on engineering the best Windows Phones.
    And Nokia should have bought Palm back in January 2009 to get webOS.

Looking at HP all they have ever done with their platforms is throw in the towel, ie Apollo, HP-UX, Tru64, Alpha, PA-RISC, Tandem nonStop, iPaq, Hp NewWave, HP digital cameras etc.
    They sold their soul when they disposed of the test and measurement business aka Agilent.

I have no faith in HP that compete against Microsoft, Apple, Google in the long run.
    do you use your pre over your laptop because the video on your laptop is dead? i didn't know there were any dv9000's still functional... i had one, it made me swear to never buy a HP product again... i though i was going to break on that since i LOVE webOS but given their handling of 2.0 on existing devices- turning my phone with almost a year left on its contract into a brick i don't think i'll have to
    Beautiful Letter!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!
    Very nice. Asking for two phones is a little crazy, but i guess you gotta aim high! They just need to release a doctor and all will be fine. Even giving two phones away wont work because most WebOS people live on sprint.

This is no fun for WebOS owners, but it really sucks for devs. I think we all know we are going to be buying new phones when they are available, but what are the devs supposed to do when people stop buying apps.
    Well done, somebody should make a website, put it up and start the petition.

On my behalf i expressed my anger through posting this "HP, Unscramble this : INTEDAPPODIS YALO TOMCUSERS" on hpPalm's facebook wall/posts.
    Disappointed loyal customers
    Maybe Mobile World Congress will have more news or good news...
    Ever get a response?
    Quote Originally Posted by treetom View Post
    Maybe Mobile World Congress will have more news or good news...
    You really think they didn't announce something when they had all the press coverage they could of, and are going to do it week later?

I hope your right, and I'm missing part of the logic. (VERY LIKELY)
    nice letter. long story like a novel lol
    Great letter and I was with you until the end. We think it's realistic for them to give us free Pre2s and then free Pre3s?

Why?

Maybe a respectable credit that can be used to the device of our choice, but two free devices? I must have read that wrong. "At no cost" ???
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    Great letter and I was with you until the end. We think it's realistic for them to give us free Pre2s and then free Pre3s?

Why?

Maybe a respectable credit that can be used to the device of our choice, but two free devices? I must have read that wrong. "At no cost" ???
    Yea, that was a bit over the top. I think they should simply offer pre3s for 250-350, and that will be more than good enough..

Assuming they'd be willing to give free pre 2s, what would be rational for the pre3? You already got what you were promised, on a faster, nicer, newer, more expensive device.
    It's quite long, I may try reading it tomorrow. It is not a crime to use paragraphs in a way that would be a little kinder on the eyes.
    Good letter. It is poor public relations to promise something for months and then find out you are never going to get it. My contract is up soon and I will be shopping around for a phone that has flash. It does tick me off because of all these apps I have bought. Anyone have any suggestions on a new phone. At this point I would be scared to buy anything from HP because who knows when they will come out with something new and decide not to provide updates for another product.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    Ever get a response?
    Also wondering if they will respond
    dont expect any kind of refund or cheap upgrade i would expect that they will release a diff. version of 2.0.1 in a doctor version .thats it .
    ĦṔ-ḶøØṫ-ŦḯØη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgnos View Post
    To the Board of Directors,
    Yesterdays announcements at the HP Think Beyond Event were ground-breaking and long awaited by the WebOS community. There was, however, a tragic turn of events that I want all of you to be aware of that may cause the complete failure of WebOS and your entire WebOS product line.
    I, like many WebOS users, bought Palm devices before HP acquired the product line. We bought these products with certain expectations and understandings. One being that at some point in the future our devices would be able to access Flash content on the internet, another being that our devices would have access to Over-the-air (OTA) OS upgrades for the life of the product. These two expectations were tragically and underhandedly dismissed yesterday.
    The Think Beyond Event was a lot of great information and fanfare about products that are not yet available in the consumer market, with no information about actual timelines for release or cost. I understand the realities of needing to have product visibility to garner media and consumer coverage. In the midst of making these long overdue product announcements your company tried to hide the fact that all current products available in the U.S., the products that form the overwhelming majority of your mobile phone inventory and customers, will no longer be getting WebOS updates to the most current version. This effectively rescinds the promises made by Palm for providing Flash compatibility to our devices and by HP to provide WebOS 2.X to all existing devices.
    Please take the time to read the forums on PreCentral.net and WebOSworld.com to get some idea of the level of outrage this has caused. You have already lost a significant number of your existing customers to your competitors and are poised to lose almost all of them before you can release a single new product using WebOS. A large number of developers, who have made WebOS better and been vocal supporters of WebOS and HP, have as a result of this decision already moved on to developing for your competition’s products. The lack of upgrading current users to have access to Flash content and WebOS 2.X has effectively eliminated the customer base for developers. While WebOS 2.X will run code written in MOJO WebOS 1.4.X will not run code written in ENYO. No customer is going to spend money on software for their WebOS device that will never be able to run the newest version. No developer will write software for products that are no longer being supported by the manufacturer when there is no possible economic gain. A few developers may wait out the months waiting for Veer, Pre 3, and Touchpad to become available, but only if they are making money elsewhere and only if they have access to ENYO, which only early access developers have, and it becomes something more than an early Alpha stage development tool.
    You had an extremely loyal and knowledgeable customer base; customers that were actively educating users of competing products on the virtues of WebOS and the dedication of the developer community and the developers who were vocally and actively supporting and defending HP and WebOS. While we may only be two percent of the market share, we’re your two percent. Without your current customers how do you expect to attract new customers and developers to your products?
    There are a number of ways for HP to remedy this tragic turn of events. At the very least, all existing Pre, Pre Plus, Pixi, and Pixi Plus users should be upgraded to a new HP Pre 2 at no cost as soon as logistically possible. Additionally, HP should communicate to the carriers that this is an HP upgrade and that it should in no way effect the customer’s carrier upgrade eligibility date or their current usage plan. Once the new HP Veer, Pre 3, and Touchpad are available current customers should be afforded the opportunity to upgrade to one of these devices through their carrier during their normal upgrade cycle at no cost.
    These measures are in necessary to keep the small market share you currently enjoy and will also be a fantastic way to demonstrate to future customers that when unforeseeable events overcome expectations and promises made to customers, that HP will make things right. This will also bring the current developers back into the fold as they only have to develop for WebOS 2.X and when available 3.X without worrying that current users will be unwilling to purchase software.
    I would like to conclude by telling you how much I use and enjoy my Verizon Pre Plus. I can accomplish most online tasks without using my HP DV9000 Laptop. I have purchased extra chargers and batteries to ensure that my Pre Plus is always ready when I need it. I have never had my Pre Plus drop a call or lose data. I have really enjoyed the involvement of the Homebrew community and the developers who have created patches and applications that seem to have been written to my exact needs and desires. I currently have 144 applications loaded and 62 patches. This is in no way an indication that something was wrong with WebOS, but rather an indication of the flexibility it has to meet everyone’s needs. My wife has no patches and less than three dozen applications on her Pre Plus and uses it nearly as much as I use mine demonstrating that the phone will work for some people right out of the box and never leave them wanting and this is the first cellular phone she has owned that she did not have constant complaints about. I have been very satisfied with my Pre Plus and it has never let me down. I am excited to see the first crop of HP products based on WebOS and eager to get some hands on time with them.
    Looking forward to hearing from HP and the Board of Directors about their solution to this problem.
    OMG........Holy Crapsky. Finally someone on P/C with a BRAIN & CLASS too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast